West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by peter49uk »

Re.............. If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play. It was Manuel Lanzini by the way.

Very strange cant get my head round that one, so how long does the said player stay active to coin a phrase or before he can touch the ball again. :?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jumby wrote:I don't know how Marney didn't get booked for that 'challenge' on Payet, utter disgrace. The rolling around on the floor from the Burnley players was incredibly frustrating to watch. Anybody that says Dyche is a forward thinking manager should think again, I hope they go down.
tbf Obiang was lucky to escape a booking a couple of times
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Match highlights on the club website
Ah Derren Randolph, like a new signing.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Doc H Ball wrote:
This stadium was supposed to be 'intimate'. It's about as intimate as Anne Widdecombe after 12 pints.
I imagine that even Anne Widdecombe would be crazily intimate after 12 pints - provided she's not spewing down your top.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Good three points and clean sheet.

I thought Randolph looked ropey at times, coming from crosses. Kouyate contender for motm for me. Looking for more from Fletcher. Would have been great if we still had Teddy Sheringham or similar to mould him a bit more. Seemed Lanzini stomped off when subbed and he threw his black arm band into the technical area. Hopefully nothing more than frustration.

On to Hull, a tougher game i think.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

peter49uk wrote:Re.............. If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play. It was Manuel Lanzini by the way.

Very strange cant get my head round that one, so how long does the said player stay active to coin a phrase or before he can touch the ball again. :?
But the offence cant occur in your own half as surely the ball has to reach the opposing half?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The relevant decider for offside is the moment the ball is played, so a player may be offside when the ball is played, as that's the defining moment, but run back into his own half to play it. It's still offside since where a player is positioned when he receives the ball is irrelevant.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

So in theory a player could be given offside for touching the ball while in his own 6 yard area.

What ****ing clown came up with that?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Sauce! wrote:So in theory a player could be given offside for touching the ball while in his own 6 yard area.

What ****ing clown came up with that?
Only if he was stood in an offside position in the opposition half, and then runs back to his own 6 yard box to collect a pass from someone.

If he can do that without one of the opposition getting hold of the ball, he'd be a bloody marvel.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

YorksHammer wrote: Only if he was stood in an offside position in the opposition half, and then runs back to his own 6 yard box to collect a pass from someone.

If he can do that without one of the opposition getting hold of the ball, he'd be a bloody marvel.
Lanzini made a pretty good attempt to do that, seems a pretty bizarre approach now to give the free kick where a player attempts to play the ball even if it is in your own half especially if it creates a goal-scoring opportunity?
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

YorksHammer wrote:Only if he was stood in an offside position in the opposition half, and then runs back to his own 6 yard box to collect a pass from someone.

Carlton could have done it. :wink:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Dwight1970 wrote:
As someone else stated a free kick for offside can now be taken where the offending touches the ball even if it is in your own half rather than the position he was caught offside though it does seem bizarre to be offside if the ball does not enter the opposition half.

I can't recall who the West Ham player was but he must have been going some to be beyond the last Burnley defender and get that far into our half to challenge for the ball?
Interesting, I spoke to someone who is a referee this week and asked him if they had changed the rule and he told me that the kick should be taken from where the player was offside, which was the rule I always understood.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From a FIFA refereeing document (page 27)
When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free lick to be taken from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his team mates
Looks like the referee made an error.