West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Burnley started the game with a point and were quite happy to finish with it. They were timewasting from the kickoff especially Heaton, taking forever over goalkicks. Pretending their heads were about to fall off each time they were beaten in the air got a bit tedious too. It also seemed tonight had been declared "Kick Payet for Free Night" too.

From our point of view I was disappointed nobody was taking a punt that Carroll would win the header and make a run past him. Going forward we generally stalled just past halfway. Now whether this was instructions from above in not committing numbers in attack or just a lack of direction I don't know, but it sure is frustrating to watch. We rode our luck at the back a few times near the end too, but three points are what mattered most tonight. I'll take another dose on Saturday if it means another win.

Thousands of empty seats were very obvious too, the brilliant white doesn't do the club any favours when they keep claiming 59,000 attendances.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Sean Dyche v West Ham Utd
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130584

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Burnley
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130583
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Burnley
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130585
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

IronworksDave wrote:
All clubs report 'attendance' as tickets sold .... no way the ground was full, there will be an official attendance published later ... my guess is 45-47,000 which is still pretty good and the same as we'bve had for most home games this season ....
anything over 35,000 (how much UP held) I think is pretty good.. considering midweek game aswell.. team not doing that great.

I loved the game last night (bit biased as I met my godfather for first time in 28 years , long story, just happened to be in same row so we sat together)

however the atmosphere is nothing compared to UP 2 guys near me kept standing up second half "stand up if you love west ham" getting angry no-one was standing with them.. can see both sides.. they need to properly look at the seating have a "singing" section.. chav corner again if you will.. a family zone.. everything.. proper get like minded people together

bobby moore upper for me last night.. decent enough view no worse than bobby moore upper at UP Imo

thought we played much better than given credit for. better finishing from our boys would have been 3 or 4
Samo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samo »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Burnley
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130585

:D I do love these segments.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Good result but we need to improve our passing game. No team sloppily gives the ball away in their own half as much as we do. It just allows the opposition to pin us back even more.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Very nervous second half performance. Lots of poor passes, but if we can put away Hull then our confidence should return.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

coyi27 wrote:Awful match, poor atmosphere, 3 points, move onto Hull
Summed up my thoughts exactly
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

The quality of our passing has a lot to be desired far too many badly placed passes , lobbed passes and generally uncontrollable passes. Another gripe is the insistence of going backwards when we get a free kick 10-20 yards inside thier half wtf , we have a 6' 8" ponytailed Geordie up front and we go backwards and then lump it from deeper :think: , God only knows , we try to play out from the back but the only player with the skill to do that is Obiang, Reid and Ogbonna distribution is woeful.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Yes, this is driving me mad at the moment as well. wtf.
Also have to get more bodies in opponents box and that means Ayew starting and Kouyate back in midfield.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Burnley fans calling us out for play acting :P
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Last night gave us a glimpse of Championship football .Simply awful from start to finish .
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Burnley were depressing, constant long ball, play acting and time wasting
Thought we were good first forty five, had tons of the ball but didn't really carve them open much, just passed it around a lot
Carroll had no one near him when winning the flick os, also at times he was too deep or wide, get the box Andy
Personally would drop one of Payet and Lazini for the minute until we get solid and our form back, I'm a big fan of Lanzini but think he needs dropping/resting
We have to be a lot better than we was second half
Gutting Ayew will get fit then go ACON
Our bench looked interesting last night, basically three kids Quina, Browne and Fletcher, Fernandes, a semi-fit Ayew and Nordveit, I know we seemed tons of rubbish in the summer but the bench seemed bare
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

I thought the atmosphere was actually ok last night. Also thought Payet put in a proper good shift last night, tracked back and was winning balls. We looked shaky towards the end, but we held on. Many people and myself said before the match they'd take that.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Last night gave us a glimpse of Championship football .Simply awful from start to finish .
The real reason why the atmosphere was poor.

What have we got to get behind at the moment in terms of performance?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

This was all about the job done, hopefully we see some more confidence in the team come back for Saturday and then push on climbing the table
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Thought Burnley were unlucky not to score in the second half. Yet again, we sat back and invited them on. Almost no pressure whatsoever from us. They may only have one tactic (draw the foul over the half way line, long high ball into the box) but it very nearly worked. The ref was astonishingly weak. Should've been a couple of yellows for fouls on Payet at the least. First half was decent from us though.

Also, I put my four tickets up on ticket trader the moment I was able to, absolutely no takers.

As an aside, anyone wishing to do this should be able to do so as soon as they know they cannot attend the game, rather than waiting for some arbitrary deadline to expire. I knew I wouldn't be able to make last night's game months ago but could only attempt to re-sell my tickets a week or so back (IIRC).
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

We were poor.

They were worse.

We got three points.

That'll do.

My limericks are awful.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

the pink palermo wrote:Last night gave us a glimpse of Championship football .Simply awful from start to finish .
Don't agree with that entirely. I thought we played reasonably well in the first half and were unlucky to not score at least one more. Second half was dogshit though.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Was the minutes applause not meant to start on the 12th minute?

The ****ers in the control room even ****ed that one up.

Did anyone else see the young man in a suit getting physically assaulted by three 'heavies' (stewards) on the way into the ground yesterday at turnstile C? He was smashed up against the glass facade and then pinned to the floor whilst one of the stewards pinned his head to the concrete floor by putting the full weight of his knee on the fellas head. Outrageous.

When were stewards given such powers? Are they not committing assaults, they are acting like old bill?