West Ham Utd 1-0 Hull City (17/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

swehammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Hull City: match thread

Post by swehammer »

Didnt have the chance to see the game live, so I turned my phone off and was able to catch the rerun 3 hours later with some beers. Never been so nervous for a long time.

Nobes look before the kick off said it all. I knew this was gonna be the longest 90 minutes for a long time. So glad we made it through the end though. A win against Swansea and we are mid table. Some new signings come jan and we will kick on. COYI
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

That was absolute dross!! A few points I need to voice:

Formation - I keep hearing we shouldn't play three at the back, doesn't work etc. Until we have a quality right back on the books that's how it will be. I know we played a back four at Liverpool but thought Nortveidt was poor personally, and we reverted to a back three as soon as Kouyate was back. Which brings me to my next point.

Kouyate - we miss his energy, box to box game, and supporting runs forward with him not in midfield. Antonio aside, no-one makes a run into the box or past Carroll or whoevers up top, our midfield play is square too often, and we rarely turn defenders running back to their own goal.

Carroll - get rid while he's fit. He is so one dimensional, and even then we don't play to those strengths! For Payet and Lanzini to be effective they need movement from the centre forward, runs into space for through balls, or for a one-two (imagine them feeding Defoe's running). They're both playing poor, but when either has the ball in the opposing half and your centre forward is static not much you can do. A great example was end of first half, Antonio had the ball in our half, right back spot. At this point Carroll should move towards the right wing channel for a ball into that area. He didn't move an inch, so Antonio with no option at all smashed into the midfield and we lost possession.

Squad depth - if we don't address key positions we could easily go down. We stole the points today and were marginally better than Burnley during the week at best. Right back, centre half, centre forward are musts in January, bare minimum. And I'd target two forwards with Carroll being shown the door in the process.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Colours never run wrote:One obvservation I made today, which has been bugging me for a while, is when we did have possession in key areas around the edge of the box, instead of doing what Hull (and some other teams do) did and chance their arm by shooting, they would rather keep possession and try and walk the ball into the net. Just shoot for **** sake and try working the Keepers! And when we do have the nerve to shoot from distant we ain't half bad as recent long pots proved when smacking the posts. We should be doing much more of it as we have decent ball strikers of the ball. Teams love playing deep against us at home and it's so difficult trying to weave intricate passes through the narrow spaces given, so when they're like that, take aim from reasonable distances and see if we can force the issue more.

This all over. By the time we've passed it around so much, the opposition's defence have got in to their box and defending in numbers, by that time we've actually lost the ability to 1) get into the box 2) have a whole team to beat with a long shot.

Going back to last season, Lanzini and Payet were both banging in some beautiful long range efforts which only had a defender or two and the keeper to beat as they were taken early yet nothing of this has materialised this season.
Limehouse

Post by Limehouse »

Shockingly poor performance. The only thing both sides had in common was that they have poor forwards. Other than that, one team had passion, pace and a clear and well executed game plan. That team wasn't us. .
ukchrish
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ukchrish »

Hands up who knows what formation we were playing in the second half as I didn't have a clue. Didn't seem like the players knew either.

Wouldn't have fancied that drive home if I was a Hull fan. That would have hurt today. We completely mugged them of 3 points.

I'm still worried. We look a shadow of the side from last year.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

How many countless times have we played well and lost? Got a bad decision that's won the other team the game? Today was a bit of fresh air, last season we lost a number of points from idiotic refereeing decisions so I'm not feeling guilty about winning whatsoever.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

ukchrish wrote:
Wouldn't have fancied that drive home if I was a Hull fan. That would have hurt today. We completely mugged them of 3 points.

I don't give a flying f**k about Hull! We have had it done to us loads of times..
thespider
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by thespider »

I think a few of us are giving Hull a bit too much respect in this thread. If I counted all the games I've watched where we lost but were the better side, it would be an entire season's worth of fixtures!!

Not exactly Barcelona style play but I don't give a monkeys.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Agree that without a right back we can't play 4-4-2 as right hand side is constantly exposed. Come back Jenko all is forgiven. Also agree that with Carroll up front and not fully fit Payet and Lanzini haven't got the space to work in as the opposition defence can push up without worry of in behind. I'm sure we'll start playing well again once Sakho and a new right back are in place. Then Payet, Lanzini and Ayew will come into their own
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'll take that 3 points all day.

We deserved none but if you don't take your chances you deserve f*** all as well and can't feel bad about it.
Gep

Post by Gep »

It's like we're settling up not to lose. Negative all around. When we push forward, and especially today Lanzini and Payet exchange passes, which is lovely to watch, then there is no movement so it's side to side bollox. It's like we're waiting for something to happen. No overlapping nothing. We're too scared to push men forward. Ok these were must win games I get that, and we've been leaking goals like a siv recently. But surely sitting back being passive as we were today is a recipe for disaster. Because we should have drawn to Burnley, and lost today without a doubt. No fight, no proper intention of attacking nothing. Just hoping on lame free kicks and dodgy penalties isn't very reassuring in my eye. We'll see what happens against Swansea.

And as always COYI :crest:
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

And another thing! Mrs came today as a ticket was spare, her first time. She said during the first half "I don't know what you moan about, the stadium is lovely".

And of course she dived quickly into Westfield first before meeting me in the ground, certainly not the old way of a day at football......!!
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Also the best thing about today is that Randolph has presently surprised me and been a rock making every correct decision in last two games and Noble having the stones to place the pen in the same place as against Burnley
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I forgot about the fantastic save Randolph made today. A left handed save from a corner I think? Headed down and looked like it was going in.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed it. Loads going on, good fortune and enough adversity to lift the crowd. Thought it was quite lively considering we play on the moon.

Reid and Kouyate had good games despite Hull having more chances to score than Charlie Sheen south of the river. Gotta go to a flat back 4 as soon as we get a right back.

I also thought Noble kept us ticking, but then I always think that. Would like to see his stats for today as I bet they debunk a few myths.

At the start of the run of 5 games at Anfield, I reckon Slav knew he had to get at least 6 points to keep his job. He's got 7 in a week and the pressure is off. We can now go into the next 2 far more cavalier and hopeful.

Relegation? Pah!
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

That's the two ugliest back to back wins I will ever see.
Confidence- lacking.
Fitness - lacking.
Consequently, work rate - lacking.
Mobility- lacking.
Leadership- lacking.
Inspiration- lacking.
Lady Luck smiled on us this week, but it won't last.
Oh, Randolph made some brilliant saves.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 84 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

ukchrish wrote:Hands up who knows what formation we were playing in the second half as I didn't have a clue. Didn't seem like the players knew either.
3.5 - 2 - 2 - 2.5

?????????

It's a good point, there was no 'plan' other than placing more attacking players on the pitch. Contrast this a with today's visitors who plainly knew exactly their channels and method of counterattack.

This was also very noticeable in the first half against Arsenal when Collins got injured early doors and Arbeloa was brought on; there didn't seem to be any more thought given to this than the premise of bringing on one defender for another. It completely threw the players and God only knows how we only conceded one in that first half, not that it counted for much by the end of the evening.

Either:
1. The players are not implementing tactics, through carelessness or wilfully
2. The players are not understanding the tactics
3. The players are implementing them, but the tactics are sh*t
4. There simply are no tactics
5. The tactics are amazing, but the players are simply substandard

Whichever of the above, it's a genuine concern. We're playing shockingly, riding our luck and tbh it's not much fun to watch.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

sgb1972 wrote:And another thing! Mrs came today as a ticket was spare, her first time. She said during the first half "I don't know what you moan about, the stadium is lovely".

And of course she dived quickly into Westfield first before meeting me in the ground, certainly not the old way of a day at football......!!
yeah mate...you probably need to get shot ... :thup:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

We are a very limited side to be honest. Even when you take into account the creative players we are very easy to suss and once in the final third you know we will lose possession more often than not.
Having said that we have taken 7 from the last 3 games and weirdly I think this will eventually condense into grinding points to see us mid table.
A quite horribly bizzare season that will somehow see us in a comfortable position that many of us will feel is undeserved, but who remembers how you got there after a decent transfer window.................oh :fsake:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Yeah that was a 3 points and move on job. We desperately need to balance the side if we're to settle in mid table and avoid slipping back into a relegation battle. Agree with the comment that we need leaders out there, a Lucas Neill/Nolan type would be just the ticket right now.