West Ham Utd 1-0 Hull City (17/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Hull City: match thread

Post by tjr008 »

Truly one of the worst performances I've seen from a winning side.

Slaven knows the 5-4-1 doesn't work. But as soon as we moved away from it the right side was exposed. Until we get a right back and a right winger who can track back, it will keep happening.

Kouyate at right back. Had to be done in the circumstances but his positioning was poor. The man of the match award came as a great surprise.

Lanzini was poor. Obiang could've got 3/4 yellows. Ogbonna is half asleep. Carroll was kept on as defensive midfield to stop McGuire, who we made look like Baresi.

A new right side and a forward to replace Carroll when he is injured are vital.

6 points when playing as bad as that is something I don't quite understand.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Reckon we lifted their wallet...

The woodwork was voted our MOTM :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Special mention too for Antonio, he's the Architypal old fashioned West Ham player who never gives in and is prepared to dig as deep as possible to find something special or to get us out of a whole. A few times in the 2nd half he bulldozed his way stubbornly down field with the ball when we needed it most and deserved his penalty award at the end. 2nd best player for us on the pitch to Kouyate today.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

mickeymacavennie wrote: Someones gonna geddit...
COYIs
Yep, most likely us if we keep playing like that! :D
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Obviously the points are massive and it is league placings that count but deary me what a complete clusterfek.

Did it look like anyone out on the pitch knew what there role was or what they were doing. What on earth are they doing in training? We desperately need a Nolan/Neil type of signing because we have no leaders or voices out on the pitch.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I love Antonio
Atmosphere was awful
Stadium is just nothing
Football dire
Thank god we got 3 points, don't know how
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

It has been a lucky week as a West Ham supporter and on personal level, my Dear old Dad hung on like a champ after major aortic surgery it looked touch and go and on Wednesday night just 15 mins after our win the hospital phoned to say he had regained conciusness and was trying to talk, another win today was the icing on the cake , a good week. The whole exoerience may not have been the nicest But the results all. Were the best.
Gep

Post by Gep »

Ben wrote:I love Antonio
Atmosphere was awful
Stadium is just nothing
Football dire
Thank god we got 3 points, don't know how
Because Hull couldn't shoot maybe. We were lucky as hell today. Either way I'm not bothered about other clubs. And I don't mind losing as long as I know the players have given their all. Today's performance was simply a mess. And it's not like this is the only time they've done this. I was at Palace away and really thought we played well there and thought this is the turning point. Hull today showed fight and were very unlucky not to grab all 3points. We were clueless upfront as usual.

I'm starting to think all sorts of :thdn: right now. Like even playing 4-4-2 and having Cresswell as a left mid whipping balls into the box but then that brings Arthur in to play so I'm like "nah" I'll pass on that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Kialos wrote:Obviously the points are massive and it is league placings that count but deary me what a complete clusterfek.

Did it look like anyone out on the pitch knew what there role was or what they were doing. What on earth are they doing in training? We desperately need a Nolan/Neil type of signing because we have no leaders or voices out on the pitch.

Joe Hart would be ideal for us, especially in that respect. He may drop the occasional clanger (like all Keepers) but he'd organise them like f*** at the back in the Premier League.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

My god we were poor. No point in picking on individuals; there were half a dozen had stinkers.

I thought Antonio was our motm, even if I wasn't sure what his position on the pitch was. Not alone there: Carroll was switching from right back to centre midfield and even the odd spell up front.

Hull will rightly feel robbed but then it's happened so often to us over the decades that I can't feel too sorry for them or guilty on our part.

Swansea will be interesting.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Kialos wrote:Obviously the points are massive and it is league placings that count but deary me what a complete clusterfek.

Were you in block 234 row 32 today? If not you have a double. :lol:
goof

Post by goof »

Just back home in Birmingham, we gave them so many free unchallenged headers & so much room in the second half down the right hand side, constantly over lapping 2-1 but know body offered any answers to stop it. As for the booing at half time, cant same I blame them if they are not going to try and compete. We were only the woodwork & a bit of better finishing from being in a worse score line than Arsenal at home. I would suggest that anybody in our club thinks that things have turned around & we dont need to invest in January, should have their head read.
Last edited by goof on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by polar »

Before the goal the main highlight was Antonio's long busting run from our half. For which he received a standing ovation! It completely summed up the lack of excitement that had preceded the earlier 70 or so minutes.
Devs Hampton

Post by Devs Hampton »

Bilic: In the second half we were much better, in the last half an hour we were really good. :?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Devs Hampton wrote:Bilic: In the second half we were much better, in the last half an hour we were really good. :?
Payet forced a good save from a free kick , Ayew had one of the line, Antonio was played clean through, I'd say we were better in the last half hour. It's just when it went down the other end we dropped deep and looked ridiculously nervous.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Think we were a bit better second half with improved energy from the off, and Ayew and Fernandes added a bit more quality on ball retention.

Once we scored, we kept them at arms' length quite comfortably I felt. The goal seemed to settle us and kill them.
Devs Hampton

Post by Devs Hampton »

In the second half we were much better, In the last half an hour we were really good.

It would of, and did, take very little to be better in the second half and going forward we probably were. But I am not having that at any point today " we were really good"
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Not a good performance for two thirds of the game but a Draw up at Red scouse and six points from two games at the running track are not to be sniffed at.
Takes the pressure down a bit for now.
COYI onwards and upwards.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Not in the bottom 3 at Xmas

Against the worst team in the league on Boxing Day

Vardy suspended for our game with them aswell?

I'd say pretty fantastic all round for us

Could make it 11 points from 5 games
Colours never run

One obvservation I made today, which has been bugging me for a while, is when we did have possession in key areas around the edge of the box, instead of doing what Hull (and some other teams do) did and chance their arm by shooting, they would rather keep possession and try and walk the ball into the net. Just shoot for f*** sake and try working the Keepers! And when we do have the nerve to shoot from distant we ain't half bad as recent long pots proved when smacking the posts. We should be doing much more of it as we have decent ball strikers of the ball. Teams love playing deep against us at home and it's so difficult trying to weave intricate passes through the narrow spaces given, so when they're like that, take aim from reasonable distances and see if we can force the issue more.