Swansea 1-4 West Ham Utd (26/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Swansea vs West Ham: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Randolph*

Kouyate** Reid Ogbonna

Antonio Noble Nordtveit*** Lanzini Cresswell

Payet

Carroll

*not my preferred choice but he won't be dropped yet
**he's excelling in that role, no way change it now
***he didn't do too bad last time he started in a defensive role, I'd just shift him centrally where I suspect he's most comfortable playing under strict instructions not to go to ground easily anywhere near our box. He does have a good passing range which can come in handy in this formation with the likes of Noble, Lanzini and Payet ahead of you
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

cockney farmer wrote:Anyone know how many we were Allocated/Sold.
griff123 wrote: 2000 was our allocation, think we sold all of them.
I'd be amazed, and mightily impressed if we actually take half that number there .I bumped into a couple of chaps who would for the past dozen seasons be in the "never miss" category , and have started to drop out of a few games .The root cause of their disillusionment is the new place but where it is currently manifesting itself is in their sudden absence from away runs .

Since the club were recently advertising for a position for which "monitoring social media to identify key issues for the fans " was stated as part of the job description hopefully the successful candidate will read this and appreciate the severity of it .
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

No way will we sell 2000.
I would have gone if it had been other day but not on Boxing Day with no trains.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

I wasn't an advocate for Ayew to replace Lanzini in the side but we were a lot more fluid with Ayew on the wing. Lanzini is so much more effective behind a striker (remember them) but this formation doesn't allow a player to play there. That alone should take him out of the team, we have enough square pegs in the team.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

brownout wrote:No way will we sell 2000.
I would have gone if it had been other day but not on Boxing Day with no trains.
You only have to look at the ticket section of this website and see how many are for sale .

I reckon we'll have no more than 800 down there .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
You only have to look at the ticket section of this website and see how many are for sale .

I reckon we'll have no more than 800 down there .
Our longest train journey of the season...and its on Boxing Day with no trains
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

With Obiang suspended I am intrigued to see how Noble and Kouyate do as the CM pairing again.

I'd go with:

Randolph

Fernandes
Reid
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Noble
Kouyate

Antonio
Lanzini
Payet

Carroll

but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick with the same formation but dropping Lanzini back in to midfield alongside Noble and playing Ayew as CAM, although Noble and Lanzini in the centre of midfield is pretty lightweight.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Got a strange feeling we'll play well and win without Obiang. I think his unfluence has been over-egged incredibly over the last few weeks after having 2-3 solid games. Not convinced he did his job at all well in the previous 2 home games, will be interesting to see how Slav changes things up without him.

I'd be tempted to go....

---------------------------------------------------Adrian-------------------------------------------------
-------Kouyate------------------------Reid---------------Ogbonna----------------Cresswell
----------------------------------------Fernandes---------Noble--------------------------------------
Antonio----------------------------------------Ayew-------------------------------------Payet
---------------------------------------------Carroll----------------------------------------------------

Lanzini has to miss out, been poor for a good few weeks now. Give him a rest and a chance to freshen up for the New Year's Eve game.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

After reading the report of the first half of the u23 game I'm going with Samuelson Browne and Martinez up front
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Interested that a couple have indicated they would start with Adrian , wonder would would drive that given the interventions Randolph has had in the last 3 games ( OK the drop at Anfield part) , I love Adrian but you can't deny Randolph has hardly put a foot wrong . Either way the rumours of Begovic and Hart won't be unfounded in my opinion .
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

Randolph
Kayoute Reid. Ogbonna. Cresswell

Noble. Lanzini

Payet

Antonio. Carroll. Ayew

4-3-3 noble and lanzini dictating as deep lying midfielders, cresswell and Kayoute providing the width from fullbacks. Payet creating down the centre with 3 forward runners who are all different and would add different dimensions to our game.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

cockney farmer wrote:Interested that a couple have indicated they would start with Adrian , wonder would would drive that given the interventions Randolph has had in the last 3 games ( OK the drop at Anfield part) , I love Adrian but you can't deny Randolph has hardly put a foot wrong . Either way the rumours of Begovic and Hart won't be unfounded in my opinion .
Anyone doing so is doing it purely out of stubbornness/blind loyalty. There’s no justifiable or logical reason for Randolph to be dropped.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Fionn wrote:Anyone doing so is doing it purely out of stubbornness/blind loyalty. There’s no justifiable or logical reason for Randolph to be dropped.
To be sure .
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Fionn wrote:Anyone doing so is doing it purely out of stubbornness/blind loyalty. There’s no justifiable or logical reason for Randolph to be dropped.
the pink palermo wrote:To be sure .
To be sure.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Lets go 4-4-2 or something with 2 up top, start with Carroll and Ayew.

Stick Toni on the bench, kid deserves a shot!

Swansea are so vulnerable at the back, we have to go for it, there are no excuses for sticking with the current negative formation against this lot.

Slav need to go balls deep with this one, we need to get our swagger back!
since86

Post by since86 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Lets go 4-4-2 or something with 2 up top, start with Carroll and Ayew.

Stick Toni on the bench, kid deserves a shot!
I agree with your front two, Ayew has to score and I remember Carroll scoring a beauty there a couple of seasons back. Having seen the recent u23 highlights with Martinez scoring he looks full of confidence so a 15-20 minute run out away from home could well be a good shout. Could be a great foil for Carroll and with his pace would be a nightmare for a tired Swansea defence.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

cockney farmer wrote:Interested that a couple have indicated they would start with Adrian , wonder would would drive that given the interventions Randolph has had in the last 3 games ( OK the drop at Anfield part) , I love Adrian but you can't deny Randolph has hardly put a foot wrong . Either way the rumours of Begovic and Hart won't be unfounded in my opinion .
I think they are much of a muchness CF. Both Randolf and Adrian are prone to big errors from time to time.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in central midfield and out wide. Will Slav stay with two up which is how we finished the game on Sat v Hull or will he start with same starting line up and adjust if it working.

Agreed re the kid Martinez, he should be promoted to the bench over Fletcher.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

I think Randolph has to continue, he made a great save to keep us in the game against Hull. He's also just a calmer person on the pitch, he just gets on with it, in an orderly fashion, a streadying factor for the defence, they really need that. Adrian is more extreme, more excitable, every save has to look flamboyant, there's been the shouting matches with Collins and I think his demeanor does raise the opponents game. He is the best penalty saver, though.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:To be sure .
Fionn wrote:To be sure.

Saw what you did there Fionn :P
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Fionn wrote: Anyone doing so is doing it purely out of stubbornness/blind loyalty. There’s no justifiable or logical reason for Randolph to be dropped.
The logical reason is that I don't believe he should have been dropped in the first place and that he's vastly the superior keeper.

I acknowledge that he won't (and probably shouldn't) drop Randy now but I believe Adrian should start, that's why I put him on the list for each game.
.....to be sure.