Swansea 1-4 West Ham Utd (26/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: Swansea vs West Ham: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

An astonishing turn out down in Swansea today with I reckon 1500+* who made the journey - the longest trip of any club today , doubly difficult due to no trains .Hats off .

As for the result, you can't really grumble with a 4-1 away win, the third straight win on the bounce and 10 points from a possible 12 , if they becomes 11 from 15 or even 13 from 15 it will have been a great month for results .

Performances though are a different matter and while today was better than some recent ones don't be in any doubt we were nowhere near our best or even the required standard .Swansea were powder puff and the fact Leon Britton was one of their better players today while he could scarcely get a game for them a couple of years back shows just how low they have slumped .They are certs to go down , no fight , no leadership , nobody of enough quality to turn things around for them .

However, we still banged in four goals , although Antonios looked to us like it should have been ruled out , which was just as well as Randolph was called upon to make 3 top drawer saves ,on another day this could have finished a point a piece , and remember, they were poor .

The other stand out performers for us were Reid , my runaway HOTY, Carroll and , when he came on, Fernandes .Our attacking element was all over the shop at times with multiple attacks stalling due to there being nobody on the right flank .That said it was our poor game management that horrified me, at 2-0 up , and coasting, we lacked the wit and discipline to shut the game down , choosing instead to at times play as if we were chasing the game .Consequently we kept presenting chances to Swansea by surrendering possession cheaply time and time again . Better teams than them would have punished us .

Still a win is a win and three on the spin can only help build confidence , and that is the magic ingredient in significant deficiency at the moment .The movement today was better, the passing not good enough , either in terms of accuracy or sharpness .

Better , but not quite there .

*Actual attendees , not tickets sold
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

PP

Antonios goal was good, he was being played miles onside by a Swansea lad who had just found his way back onto the pitch after going past the byline and out of play.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aztec, cheers :thup: , we missed that , and so must have Antonio because when he stuck it in he had a long look at the lino clearly thinking it was going to be ruled out .
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Story going round that Bob Bradley has been sacked. Can anybody confirm?
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

I love Noble, he epitomises West Ham in so many ways. Not least of all with his inconsistency. But ultimately I feel a duo of Obiang and Kouyate offer us our most dynamic midfield pairing.

And Antonio was miles onside. Which I think even he was surprised by.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

the pink palermo wrote:Performances though are a different matter and while today was better than some recent ones don't be in any doubt we were nowhere near our best or even the required standard.
That's what concerns me.

I didn't see todays game so can't comment on it therefore I'll go with your assessment, but Burnley and Hull were woeful performances that on many days would have been losing performances.

Burnley, Hull, Swansea, are how can we say not the most challenging fixtures.

I remain to be convinced about there having been any significant improvement to anything other than results and league position.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Completely agree about the right side PP. It was painful having no one making runs especially in the second half. Think Payet passed it all the way to Randolph from 70 yards out due to no options on the right.Can't blame Nordtveit as that's not his game, but can't wait to get any progressive RB next month.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Aztec, cheers :thup: , we missed that , and so must have Antonio because when he stuck it in he had a long look at the lino clearly thinking it was going to be ruled out .
Yep, he was behind Antonio so he wouldn't have seen him. Great effort from you and the rest of the fans who made the longest journey in the country today. Great stuff to be rewarded with four goals!
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Another 3 points, another polarizing performance, and so much to analyse.

That first half was bloody terrible in my opinion. How we walked into the dressing room one up was a head scratcher. We could string three passes together, yet Andre Ayew appeared at the right place at the right time to tap in the easiest goal he'll ever score for us. That said it all about our opponents, but I'll get to them a little later.
The second half saw us a little more composed with the ball at our but I still worry for some our tactics. Even at 2-0 we turned off a little and allowed them opportunities to get back into the game, and had it not been for some bad finishing or a solid performance by Randolph (my MOTM) it could have been a real struggle. Some careless passing from the midfield was luckily not punished and Slav must fix this because better teams come very soon.
A note that Nordtveit had a decent game today. Well done lad. The boo boys can piss off.
I finally relaxed as that 3rd goal went in. The 4th was so beautifully taken by AC. He did well today and worked so hard.
Swansea are a terrible team, and I cannot see them staying up. Absolutely dreadful. The defence stood there for Ayew's goal and the stage was set.
10 points from the last 4 is a terrific response even if we've got very lucky in previous weeks.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

A great win, it's not often we win by 4, nevermind away. Yes we gave Swansea chances but we give every team a chance, nothing will ever change. Nice to see ayew get off the mark and as for nobes he has always been done with the ball between the lines since he started 12 years ago. Some of his passing wasn't great but he demanded the ball all the time and tried to make us play.

Fwiw I thought we were brave today and let the shackles off a bit, something we didn't do against burnley and hull.

It's been a good turnaround and after the chaos of the last 4 months we could see ourselves top 8 come with a bit of luck come New Year's Day.
That's where I would have expected us to be anyway.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

First win by more than 1 goal all season, first win by anything other than 1-0 in the league....

Long way to go but an important result.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Didn't see any of the game and only just got home so missed MOTD - reading some comments it appears Nordtveit played RB?!

In that case did we play a 4-3-3 with Kouyate back in midfield or was Nordtveit the wing back in a 3/5 again with Bog Mike up top?! I'm confused!
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Blow Bubbles wrote:Didn't see any of the game and only just got home so missed MOTD - reading some comments it appears Nordtveit played RB?!

In that case did we play a 4-3-3 with Kouyate back in midfield or was Nordtveit the wing back in a 3/5 again with Bog Mike up top?! I'm confused!
4-2-3-1: Nordveit at RB, Carroll up top.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

arlhe wrote: 4-2-3-1: Nordveit at RB, Carroll up top.
Cheers arlhe - just spotted the debate on the '4-2-3-1' thread too. Pleasing to hear, especially if Nords did well at RB too. This obviously meant Payet in the middle of the attacking 3 then? Although I would like to hope it was pretty fluid between him, Mike and Ayew.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

To me this seems the worst quality premier league in some time. A win is a win and we have had three on the bounce. However, I don't think we have needed to be anywhere near our best to achieve these results.

We are now only three points away from our 'par' position in the premier league which I think is eighth (sandwiched between Soton and Everton). The difference, however, between this season and last is that this season we look like the best of the rest whereas last season we looked more at home in the company of the top 6.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Great win, great support.

Another opportunity again in a few days, Leicester and ourselves are headed in opposite directions right now.
the pink palermo wrote: .Our attacking element was all over the shop at times with multiple attacks stalling due to there being nobody on the right flank .
Well spotted, re the right side. This pass graph illustrates it well.

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

kept seeing nordtveit one on one with his man expecting him to get skinned. dealt with it over and over to the point that the poor bloke attempting it had his hamstrings give up.

feghouli looked proper up for it too. shame we're about to lose him to AFCON (and that's if he comes back at all).
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

That's really interesting Kalashnikov where did you get the graph from mate?
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Look up 11tegen11 on twitter - he does them every week for most teams in the top leagues.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

An emphatic win - and with plenty to spare in the tank.

Pleased to see Ayew finally get off the mark. 4-1 win but I'd give Randolph MOM.

Thought we took the foot off too early once the second had gone in and despite being comfortable we were too casual across the back, especially Ogbonna. But it all came good once the third had gone in.

The league is spread out now. The top six looks like it won't change - and who gives a toss? Hull & Swansea look like they'd struggle to get to 30 points from here. 36 points is the safety line I reckon.

Relegation? Humbug!! Time for a cup run.