Swansea 1-4 West Ham Utd (26/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnnyboy

Re: Swansea vs West Ham: match thread

Post by Johnnyboy »

Actually thought we were a bit lucky in patches first half. Bit of better finishing from siggurddson and we could have gone in behind. Having said that second half we played really well and came out the blocks fastest. If we could turn a bit more of the lateral passing forward I think we'd be carving a few more teams open.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Great result and it's been a good few weeks all in all.

Noble really is bang average though, he should be nowhere near the starting 11.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

This year more than ever is a divide between the top six (one of whom is slightly under performing and one of whom is on fire) and the rest, all of whom are mixed. Leicester should improve, Watford have over performed, Bournemouth have done well, Swansea are struggling and Palace could pick up.

I think we are closer to Everton, Saints and WBA than Hull, Swansea, Sunderland etc. But we are miles from Arse, Man U etc, and should look at the away points (and heartbreaking though it was, late defeat) with positivity. Our season started badly after losing simple games, which lost confidence.

A big window coming up. We need to keep P (priority 1) and fill in the gaps. But, fortunately, we are not looking lost at sea anymore.

December started dismally. But it has come good.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Would like to swap CM Sigurdson with Noble + 10m. Goals & mobility in the middle would improve us greatly, Nobes is sadly only bench standard imho.

Midfield of Sig in front of Pedro & Cheik seems monstrous on paper, with the likes of Payet/Lanzini/Ayew /Fernandes/Feghouli, rotating around the Midfield.

Can we get Sig for 10m + Noble? :scarfer:
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Could someone please remind me why Lanzini wasn't even on the bench?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

szola wrote:Could someone please remind me why Lanzini wasn't even on the bench?
Injured rib from Hull game which he's feeling some pain from apparently mate
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

I thought Noble performed really well today, made some great passes and even his running off the ball was pretty good. Pretty much everyone turned up and put in a shift, Noble and Reid, Randolph and Kouyate were excellent and even Nordveit had good a game. There are no easy games in the premier league and if we'd gone into that complacently expecting to win the scoreline could very easily have been reversed, great result.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Randolf made some important saves. I think he is starting to make that spot his own now.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Harry Hound wrote:I thought Noble performed really well today, made some great passes and even his running off the ball was pretty good.
That's strange because I thought he was very poor today couldn't stop passing to a Swansea player.
opinions eh.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Harry Hound wrote:I thought Noble performed really well today, made some great passes and even his running off the ball was pretty good.

Double post
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Noble had 87% pass completion according to statszone

8 incomplete passes - all forward and just inside Swansea's half
ironfireman

Post by ironfireman »

brooking1966 wrote:Would like to swap CM Sigurdson with Noble + 10m. Goals & mobility in the middle would improve us greatly, Nobes is sadly only bench standard imho.

Midfield of Sig in front of Pedro & Cheik seems monstrous on paper, with the likes of Payet/Lanzini/Ayew /Fernandes/Feghouli, rotating around the Midfield.

Can we get Sig for 10m + Noble? :scarfer:
I do think we've seen the best of noble and it's downhill from now on, but would you honestly want to see him go? He's West ham through and through and even if he ain't playing well he's someone we need in the squad! Loyal, passionate players are rare nowadays and we should use him in whatever capacity we can even if it ain't in the 1st 11 he's still the heart of the squad and I'd be gutted if he ever put on another teams shirt!
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

ironfireman wrote:
I do think we've seen the best of noble and it's downhill from now on, but would you honestly want to see him go? He's West ham through and through and even if he ain't playing well he's someone we need in the squad! Loyal, passionate players are rare nowadays and we should use him in whatever capacity we can even if it ain't in the 1st 11 he's still the heart of the squad and I'd be gutted if he ever put on another teams shirt!
This X 100 :scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

60 passes 86% complete. That's a high completion and especially as an away team player. Unfortunately sometimes fans tend to focus more on the occasional poor passes than the overall contribution. To be fair, I still didn't think Noble had a particularly good passing game for the standards I expect of him as some weren't even difficult passes. I did also note Payet had a few wrongen passes also, so it happens to the best of them.

His overall game today was good and did most of the jobs he needed to do very well, even if he didn't get everything right.

He's an ever present for good reason and he's been one of the key players as to why our recent upturn in results has happened since 11 games ago now.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

hammer1975 wrote:Noble had 87% pass completion according to statszone

8 incomplete passes - all forward and just inside Swansea's half

Snap!
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Maybe the time is approaching where a debate should be had over Noble's inclusion in the first team but after a 4-1 win away from home the knives are still out for him. Guy can't win.

And no, he should never be sold. He's staying until he retires
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Nobes makes a big show of celebrating a goal with Nordtveit. Next game Notdtveit plays the best game we've seen from a right back for at least this season and potentially second half of last too. Not a coincidence in my book.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

10 points out of 12 in 2 weeks and then you come on here to read why our skipper needs to be replaced... :asleep:
Colours never run

hammers92 wrote:Maybe the time is approaching where a debate should be had over Noble's inclusion in the first team but after a 4-1 win away from home the knives are still out for him. Guy can't win.

And no, he should never be sold. He's staying until he retires

He can, five times in the last 11. :D *tongue in cheek*
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Doc H Ball wrote:10 points out of 12 in 2 weeks and then you come on here to read why our skipper needs to be replaced... :asleep:
But are you surprised?