Leicester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (31/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Georgee Paris »

That Leicester forum has literally twisted my melon. Really can't believe that. Not sure if I've ever seen us that negative. Even before the 2nd leg vs Man City in the cup I think there were a few that thought we still had a chance.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Would love Antonio to get a headed goal as I believe he would then hold the record for most Headed goals in the Premier League for a calendar year
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

interesting reading the leicester forum - when we played them two years ago we were in town and spoke to a couple of their fans who werent even bothering going to the game they were so down and negative about the whole set-up and thought they were relegated...well, a couple of hours later we handed them a patsy 2-1 thanks to an uber-conservative Allardyce "we'll take the point " approach and the rest, as they say, is history.

We've ground out a decent december and go there in great form- I said after the hull game we could win our next three and still believe we can...and yet, and yet, they are desperate to win, so how we set up and go at them is key. We need to suck tup the pressure and expose their defence - the way we finished with Martinez and payet picking them off is perfect - Ive put Carroll down for a hattrick;-)
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

w4hammer wrote:We need to suck tup the pressure and expose their defence - the way we finished with Martinez and payet picking them off is perfect - Ive put Carroll down for a hattrick;-)
Lucky you didn't put Martinez down for a hattrick

:thup:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Drinkwater has looked very average without Kante sweeping up for him.

Really looking forward to Noble showing who's better.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

They have no confidence at all, and we all see what that was doing to us at the start of the season. That Southampton game was the lowest point. Mahrez clearly looks like he doesn't want to be there and will probably look at the AFCON as a break. Morgan and that **** Huth can't get away with wrestling people either, another reason they are doing so badly, as other than that both are ****.

We should've won there last year when they were at their best, and I think we have all the tools to cause them problems all game.

I agree with the Merson prediction. 1-3.
@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by @dave_boy »

Stepney wrote:
Supposedly the counting house near the ground although I've never been in there before. Can anyone confirm that it's 'away friendly'?
Last time I was up there the Counting House was away friendly, although very busy.

Has anyone tried The Huntsman on their Leicester travels?
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

@dave_boy wrote:
Has anyone tried The Huntsman on their Leicester travels?
Went in there two seasons ago. Charged us a few quid for parking and it's definitely a Leicester pub but we had no bother at all.

If fact fairly friendly but we are 50 somethings who don't wear coliours or shout the odds.

Easy to get back to the motorway from too.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Leicester even more than us massively overachieved last season but their showings in the Champions League still demonstrated there still is a decent a side there, tomorrow we meet them with them very low on confidence with ours hopefully on the rise after climbing the table I will like to think it will be an even game but I have my doubts.

For me if Leicester show anything like they are capable of unlike Burnley, Hull and Swansea I don't expect them to be as wasteful, I think something like 2-2 would be a fantastic result but in truth sadly I will be travelling up there expecting a 3-1 defeat as the good fortune we have enjoyed over the last 4 games has to run out at some point.

From all the sides I have seen this season based on performances so far I think our current position is somewhat flattering and I still see it a case of looking down rather than up unless improvements are made to the squad in January, 3 wins of which 2 were pretty fortunate against poor opposition shouldn't disguise that.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

This is a funny one for me. We are on a great run without actually playing that well. Even our 1-4 demolition of Swansea felt we were at half speed.

If we play anything like we can, we have a real chance of taking all three points. If we play how we have most of this season, I fear our luck will run out and they will get a much needed win. They should be bang up for this, they need it more than we do!

I'm going for 3-1 them
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

We are due a dodgy bit of luck...2-1 to Leicester. One of their goals from a penalty awarded for holding at a corner (where both attacker and defender were at it).
Jayhammer

Post by Jayhammer »

A team team are desperate for a win! Along come West Ham to give them one! Would be typical West Ham o lose.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Given we're starting to see the green shoots of recovery, this has probably made the subtle shift from must-win to merely must-not-lose.

Keeping a semblance of momentum is key, otherwise with the Manchesters up next it's feasible we finish the week with three defeats and the loss of three first-teamers to AFCON harshing our mellow.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Leicester have, Everton apart, done ok at home. It's their away from that has been the problem.

We've done quite well in recent away games. It'll be close with 1 goal in it. Not sure who'll have the edge....
Last edited by arlhe on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

My 18yr old son is going with his mates and I want to make sure he goes to th right boozer. Can anyone pm me please
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

peter49uk wrote:I do hope they are working on their passing before this game as it stood out as something to work on from the Swansea game.
Which Swansea game? We've needed to work on our passing for years. It is the reason our possession stats are so poor. And it reduces our effectiveness on the break.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If we win this we will be 2 points off Everton in 7th place after what we would all consider an unmitigated disaster of a first third of the season. I hope it means we are more attractive to any potential signings and not the Daves think it means we don't need any investment.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Peaches wrote:If we win this we will be 2 points off Everton in 7th place after what we would all consider an unmitigated disaster of a first third of the season. I hope it means we are more attractive to any potential signings and not the Daves think it means we don't need any investment.
Incredibly really. But it does show that in this league fortunes can be made by beating up bottom half teams home and away.

Arsenal have been doing it for years.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It also shows how pony the Premier League is this year. A distinct lack of quality and consistency outside of the 'top 6'

All that talk of a new order of things that was suggeated last season was no more than an illusion. Same old same old with the gap even greater
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Crouchy

There is no way the entire league can be consistent. It's a tough league this year, no whipping boys other than Swansea.

The top 6 this year are stronger than they have been in years.