Leicester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (31/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by 61dicksey »

A more mobile front man such as Slimani would have been the difference for us as he was for them today, ran his nuts off too.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

The Faustian bargain you enter into when selecting Andy Carroll to lead the line is that you accept you're going to have little to no movement for the midfielders to find for 89 minutes, but that he's going to work the keeper in the combined few seconds in the match when he gets a crosses in the box to attack.

It's a risky formula for consistently winning matches beyond the Championship. And the downside of that calculation is shown in games like today when he fails to even hit the target with any. He needs to hold up his end of the bargain more consistently. To say he's paid £80k a week to more-or-less do only that one thing is an oversimplification, but only slightly.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Mid-table having lots of injuries with a new stadium and people want Bilic out :lol:

How did we not score in that game? I've been saying all season, had Sullivan delivered on his top striker promise we'd be much higher in the league.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Noble and Ogbonna were at fault today for two poor performances, as they were the weak links for Swansea,.

Kouyate should have dropped into the three with fernandez and Obiang replacing him and Noble.

Not much hope from the front three, too many hopeful punts being put in there and we were made accountable for the first 30 minutes where we were just lethargic and awful.

Leicester deserved that today for their enterprise and effort, we just meandered aroud until half time and had not much to offer movement wise second half.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Pretty entertaining game tbf. 3-3 would have been fair enough.

Can't really do any more than that to score. (Other than buy a decent striker, but let's not get carried away.)
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

thejackhammer wrote:Mid-table having lots of injuries with a new stadium and people want Bilic out :lol:

How did we not score in that game? I've been saying all season, had Sullivan delivered on his top striker promise we'd be much higher in the league.
What Injuries do you mean?
We did not score because we may have dominated but created precious little.
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Sky match text hating Antonio dive and nordy challenge. No. Mention of the Leicester cynicals. They really don't like us.

:scarfer:
why bother with Sky ffs? If you have to watch their shyte, at least turn the volume down so you don't have to hear their inane, partisan drivel.
m-h

Post by m-h »

kalashnikov wrote:It's true we dominated possession while creating absolutely nothing in the final third.

Yes Antonio hit the bar, Cresswell had a defliection that could have gone in. Beyond that our attacking play consists of cross to Carroll/Antonio or 'magic'.

I maintain that comes down to bad coaching and no clear identity of how we play. It was the same last season to be honest but Payet was magic and covered it up week in week out.

As an aside I thought Lanzini was very good dictating play from deep. Showed a glimpse of his future. The speed in which we played markedly increased when he came on.
and yet as you point out our best chances to score came from those crosses, of which there were i think four of quality, three from Cresswell and a diagonal from Nordveit. Thats it, thats all our forward had to work with for the whole match. There's the problem right there.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Things that I thought were clear today.

Looked to me like Ayew had already left for the ACON and the gamble on him doesn't seem to have worked. If you watch that break away Antonio had in the first half Ayew should be moving away from him to give the last defender the problem of blocking Antonio's run or covering the pass. All he does is run straight into the middle making the defenders job easier.

Starting with Carroll dictates the way we play the whole match and he should only be used as an impact sub. Makes the January signing of a mobile striker (or 2) imperative.

Payet needs a rest.

:scarfer:
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Played well but poor tactics ... Leicester of last season, happy to play with little possession allow few chances and score on one of their few attacks ... most teams have worked them out, not City or us it would seem ...
Still a far better performance that three months ago ...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

tavbet wrote:.........................

Payet needs a rest.
He had one today 8-)
BALAGE The Hungarian

Post by BALAGE The Hungarian »

Bilic cook from what we got. Big sam did the same. We had same problem in that time. Unless we spend money on quality strikers (we did on Ayew but turned out to be ****) we will always have the same problem.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

while being invisible for 90% of the match, you can't blame ayew for antonio not passing sooner. it was a decent breakaway run into the box and the sort of thing we've been missing.

problem is we all knew antonio was never going to make that pass.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:The Faustian bargain you enter into when selecting Andy Carroll to lead the line is that you accept you're going to have little to no movement for the midfielders to find for 89 minutes, but that he's going to work the keeper in the combined few seconds in the match when he gets a crosses in the box to attack.

It's a risky formula for consistently winning matches beyond the Championship. And the downside of that calculation is shown in games like today when he fails to even hit the target with any. He needs to hold up his end of the bargain more consistently. To say he's paid £80k a week to more-or-less do only that one thing is an oversimplification, but only slightly.
This.
We need movement up top. It is so glaring.
yes Carroll will occasionally get a cross he can attack and will score now and again, and sometimes it will be enough to win games.

However, it is a very basic strategy and relies on other teams deficiencies. If defences can stop the crosses or have the nous to deal with Carroll in the air it is easy to deal with. As Aceface says it is a risky strategy to adopt because if it doesn't work, we have nothing else.

No other team in the league relies on this. They deploy strikers who have some semblence of movement and are not limited to one skill (however strong that skill is)

Howe er, given sakho is out and Ayew off to ACON I dont see what we can do about it. Maybe some kind of strikerless fornation like we played at WHL a couple of years ago?
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Beavis Danzig wrote: problem is we all knew antonio was never going to make that pass.
Indeed. I've heard it said that the fact he's not been coached into having a natural technique is a strength but I just don't agree. He has a knack of getting on the end of balls and sticking it in the net and you can't fault that but f*** me his decision making and touch is shocking for this level.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Bavarian_Hammer wrote:Were a bit lucky the last games so had it coming at some point. Just hate losing against that lot. There aren't many other teams with such whiny & biased supporters. Terrible bunch, would love to see them struggle again.
My thoughts exactly. They seem to have an awful lot of fans who just don't even understand the basics of football rules and they just scream for absolutely everything and anything if the opposing side get anywhere near their half. I bet they've also gained many new 'popcorn munchers' this year too after their last campaign and they clearly don't understand the rules either.

At one point they all screamed at the ref when Antonio is offside but he doesn't even get to the through ball. He backs off his run and a defender just clears it. Doh....utter half-wits. I'd personally be happy if the crisp-loving whingers, including ol' big ears Line-acher, struggle now for the rest of the season. Oh, and Huth's an absolute t*sser too. Come to think of it...there's plenty on their side for me to hate with all their moaning and antics they get up to. Last year they got away with absolute murder in a lot of their games.

Thought we played well in many parts today and we definitely deserved a point, if not all 3. We've played far worse than that and won this season, against the likes of Burnley and Hull and we still look far more dangerous playing away than we do at the 'London Bowel'. Need more attacking intent at home like we show when we play away, together with better ball retention, passing and flair.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

BALAGE The Hungarian wrote:Bring in Defoe
It all seriousness, with how we are playing tactically of passing it sideways around the box, Defoe would be near useless.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Kitt the car wrote:
It all seriousness, with how we are playing tactically of passing it sideways around the box, Defoe would be near useless.

and that is because we have the King of sideways passing in our team
traxop

Post by traxop »

m-h wrote:
and yet as you point out our best chances to score came from those crosses, of which there were i think four of quality, three from Cresswell and a diagonal from Nordveit. Thats it, thats all our forward had to work with for the whole match. There's the problem right there.
You've inadvertently hit on another point, we are hardly getting any service from the other side of the pitch. We can see the dynamics between Payet and Cresswell, their interplay allows us to into positions behind their defense. I don't think Antonio has managed to deliver many serviceable crosses. In fact our best 'plays' from the right has been Nordviet's cross-field diagonals switches to Cresswell.

If we are going to start with Carroll as the target-man, then we clearly need to work on getting service from both sides of the pitch.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

BALAGE The Hungarian wrote:Bring in Defoe
Aren't we getting Demba Ba? A bloke who might be fit by April or who might never play again, depending on who you believe.

FFS, why do we always play with one hand tied behind our backs through not having one mobile centre forward who can score some goals? Oh yeah I forgot, we have owners who see Andy Carroll as a top striker with a great injury record.