Leicester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (31/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Stepney wrote:Agreed. I didn't realise until I saw it on TV just how good that cross was. It would've troubled any defence.
Pace, perfect delivery, excellent execution.

No dawdling, no miscontrol, no extra touches, no underhit or overhit delivery. It was a very good goal.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i'm not sure we've hit a first time ball into the box all season. maybe a couple from cresswell.

i want to see byram down the right against palace.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

You could argue for the goal there were two fundamental errors .. one was Cresswell allowing the cross in in the first place .. Albrighton isn't world class but he does have a great cross on how and surely that would have been highlighted to Cresswell before the game ?
Secondly three defenders had one player to mark and cynically given Reid was caught the wrong side as the cross came.in the full back would normally be tasked in seeing the danger and getting across on the cover .. but Nordtveit is not a full back so you can't blame him.

I'd like to think allowing the cross was our downfall but it was a great cross in the right place with the right power and Silimani made an intelligent run. That's basically it

We were lucky to win those three games so we shouldn't be too downbeat by being the recipients of the same.

Man U game worries me though because they are a class above everything else we've played .. we aren't playing particularly well and I fear we will get ripped an new one.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Surprised at our poor history again Leics . Not scored at their place since Aug 2004. :cry:
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

We scored twice there last year mate ...
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

The cross for their goal was a peach. You don't defend them because it's inch perfect. No point in picking the bones out of good football
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I've always rated Albrighton. He may drift in and out of games but he can make things happen - 2 great crosses yesterday (1 goal, 1 header against the post) and a couple of penetrating runs.
It's not as if he doesn't have form for doing it against us..
Aloysius
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Aloysius »

Humbug wrote:Surprised at our poor history again Leics . Not scored at their place since Aug 2004. :cry:
You've had an absolute nightmare there mate. We have played them 5 times there since 2004 and that's the first time we haven't scored there yesterday in that time
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Since they came up though I only think we've beaten them once. (At our place under Allardyce?).

I always had Leicester down as a bit of a bogey side.

As for Slimani's goal. That's exactly how we should be deploying Carroll and putting balls into him. Saying that though he did have a good (headed) chance in the 2nd half where he should of done a lot better.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

This can be a rum old place sometimes.

Antonio and Payet have regularly got it in the neck this season in games where they've actually been among the better performers, now Winston's getting a dose. Thought he was comfortably the tidiest player on the field yesterday.

We got undone by a good 'un that Bonucci wouldn't have got near.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Thought Reid was our man of the match despite being "at fault" for the goal. To be fair it was a well-worked, attacking down the wings with pace & a top-drawer delivery into the box, something we struggled to do all game.

I'm going to eat my words here: Anthony f******g Taylor had a good game. He got pretty much everything right except for blowing up a little short at the end of added on time. Keep it up! :thup:

Our fans seems a bit subdued yesterday, though I think that reflected the team's performance on the pitch: we huffed and puffed but son of redface only had 2 'proper' saves to make as far as I can remember.

As for the Fairytale foxes, when things weren't going their way they were as cynical & snidey as any team I have seen.

Also their fans confirmed what I said earlier - success has turned them into whining twats with a sense of entitlement of which Liverpool would be proud.

Antonio - making the most of minimal contact again. One of his most endearing traits is his strength & determination, so seeing him doing a Stevie Gee at the slightest touch really pisses me off.

Payet's delivery was poor yesterday, but he can't be faulted for effort. He is the one luxury player we can afford to be in the starting eleven (when fit).

And the highlight for me was parking in the car park where Richard III was buried! Image
since86

Post by since86 »

Their goal was very well worked: credit where credit is due their play to open up our flank for the cross was tidy and the ball in was pretty much unplayable.

A draw would undoubtedly been a fair result. The introduction of Lanzini livened up our whole play and we had them on the ropes for a good 25 mins. Leaving the ground me and my brother came to the conclusion that as much as we love Noble, we looked a better, livelier team without him on the park. It is a sad indictment on the club that dropping him (Noble) would probably mean the end of the line for our only current first team Academy product, but Bilic has to do the right thing by the team and make the call.

Like has been said, playing Carroll, which is understandable as he is our only fit, senior striker, reduces our attacking options drastically and it was never going to be to a be productive afternoon sending high balls up to him to compete for against Huth and Morgan. I would have loved to have seen Fletcher or even Quina have a run, just to mix it up.

Thought the Leicester fans were pathetic, chucking their burgers and happy clappers on the field when Nordy escaped with a yellow after the challenge on their left back.

All in all losing after playing relatively well balances the scales after playing poorly and beating Hull and Burnley. Anyway, COYI

:scarfer:
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

bubbles1966 wrote:..........On the first occasion, Nordtveit was actually inside him.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

pezza20 wrote:You could argue for the goal there were two fundamental errors .. one was Cresswell allowing the cross in in the first place .. Albrighton isn't world class but he does have a great cross on how and surely that would have been highlighted to Cresswell before the game ?
Secondly three defenders had one player to mark and cynically given Reid was caught the wrong side as the cross came.in the full back would normally be tasked in seeing the danger and getting across on the cover .. but Nordtveit is not a full back so you can't blame him.

I'd like to think allowing the cross was our downfall but it was a great cross in the right place with the right power and Silimani made an intelligent run. That's basically it

We were lucky to win those three games so we shouldn't be too downbeat by being the recipients of the same.

Man U game worries me though because they are a class above everything else we've played .. we aren't playing particularly well and I fear we will get ripped an new one.

Cresswell got sucked in to the middle because Drinkwater had a clear run at our back four because Carroll lost him when Noble should have been there to cover it.