West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd (02/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: West Ham United V Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by warp »

The Gibbins wrote:Ineptitude to some extent, but every team has key decisions go against them. This was a big one but there will be worse mistakes from referees this season in my opinion. I am not even convinced the card will be rescinded, there are many views on it but it can be argued Feghouli was reckless and not in control, you want to scrape further down the barrel both feet were off the floor which has been really publicised of late...

The Barkley tackle was a shocker, i have seen it a few times but not seen the referees angle on it. Of course thats another error and relates to my comment earlier where the FA need to have words with him...i think we will see him demoted for a few weeks to The Championship.
of course mistakes are natural, i just suspect dean lets past mistakes influence him. had he sent barkley off, maybe he wouldn't have sent feghouli off. if he didn't send feghouli off, he would have probably booked kouyate in the second half (after starting the counter himself :D ).
if a ref does that he's not fit to referee.
again, if's and maybe's, but enough for a bit of suspicion (about him "compensating", not taking brown envelopes).
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

The media and managers do not help situations, Jose Mourinho is a prime example of someone constantly digging out referees for his own shortcomings. He creates a siege mentality time and time again and happily takes a fine that is pittance to his club to get in referees heads and add pressure. They are being watched more than ever now so of course decisions they get wrong put them under pressure and they then try and act on future incidents, but because they don't get the previous one right they punished for then trying to act on another incident that maybe isn't quite as bad.

I am not trying to say this is right, but from the point of view of referees they will never make people happy. I think the managers that slate referees publicly and try to influence them should receive harsher punishments, a fine or a touchline ban for one game isn't really enough, they are happy to take that and dig their boot in.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

The Gibbins wrote:They are being watched more than ever now so of course decisions they get wrong put them under pressure and they then try and act on future incidents, but because they don't get the previous one right they punished for then trying to act on another incident that maybe isn't quite as bad.
thats exactly the point.
mistakes happen and will put you under a pressure you have to be able to sustain. if it makes you commit even more mistakes, you should consider another job.
The Gibbins wrote:I think the managers that slate referees publicly and try to influence them should receive harsher punishments, a fine or a touchline ban for one game isn't really enough, they are happy to take that and dig their boot in.
agreed, but i'd also like refs with a pair that don't get bullied around by managers with a history for being utter ****ers.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

fjthegrey wrote:It won't get rescinded.

We shouldn't bother to appeal.
I'd be surprised if they overturn it, but it's certainly worth a shot.

I'd be arguing the case that playing 75 minutes a man light is actually perfectly adequate punishment for that tackle. To the letter of the law that type of consideration is irrelevant, but it might sway someone's mind enough to say 'f*** it' and cancel the whole thing.

If it does get overturned, I think we'd be at an exactly 50% rate of recision in the last couple of years. We've had 8 red cards, and Kouyate (twice) and Noble have had them turned back.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

If it is not overturned then Jones has to get a retrospective red card. His tackle was worse.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

I felt so down on the road home last night, how we keep getting so many bad decisions against us is a farce! in rugby Dean would miss the next two weekend's matches! Yes we gave me than against Leicester, but we could not score, just Hope Slav can pick them up for Friday night as it is not going to be easy.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Aceface wrote:Noble.
The Liverpool red card last season is the worst refereeing decision I can remember.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Eh... why? I guess you're fishing. Everyone in the world -including a lot of ManU die hards - thinks the opposite. And Slaven has already stated that we will,
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

You just wait and see.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

I agree it won't get rescinded - he'll say he made a call on what he saw with best intentions etc...That he didn't even consider Jones's tackle and then subsequent acting won't come into it unfortunately but not appealing (with most of the media if not behind us, against Dean) at least might get him never reffing us again!!

As for the off-side goal - shameful - you didn't need to be any kind of professional official to know that wasn't correct.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

The Gibbins wrote:The media and managers do not help situations, Jose Mourinho is a prime example of someone constantly digging out referees for his own shortcomings. He creates a siege mentality time and time again and happily takes a fine that is pittance to his club to get in referees heads and add pressure. They are being watched more than ever now so of course decisions they get wrong put them under pressure and they then try and act on future incidents, but because they don't get the previous one right they punished for then trying to act on another incident that maybe isn't quite as bad.
He ambushed a ref in a car park once after an El Clasico Copa Del Rey game.

He takes putting pressure on refs to swing decisions to his team's way to a new level.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

that was my first home game in what felt like months after missing the last 3 due to going away travelling throughout December. In all honesty I haven't missed the ground at all and getting home last night after full time was really long and cold (which was surprising considering 75% of the ground left before full time whistle....) - also didn't help having to get to newbury park and then getting a bus.

Onto the game, I was gutted with the sending off, not only did it screw us massively but I felt for Feloghili as he looked like he was working hard and playing pretty well. Also felt the team played well considering we were down to 10 - everyone put in a shift and I thought that was the best performance from Lanzini I have seen since last season. If we had 11 on the pitch I think we could of got a result as Man U didn't play particularly well.

Hopefully now the players keep up the levels they showed last night and we keep in the middle of the table rather than slip back down. I really like Bilic, and although sometimes I don't agree with his subs/timings its clear that the players still are playing for him and as such lets see what he can do. I pray we actually buy the players we need in this window because if we do I think we can really push forward. No disrespect to Antonio but if a real CF had got that 1 on 1 I'm pretty sure we would of gone 1-0 up.
warp

Post by warp »

steps wrote:He takes putting pressure on refs to swing decisions to his team's way to a new level.
he's a bully, but if it works (i.e. if referees allow this to work), why would he stop?

the thing is, managers have no power on referees. so why do referees appease them?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

warp wrote:agreed, but i'd also like refs with a pair that don't get bullied around by managers with a history for being utter ****ers.
Easier said than done.

Most people in employment get 'bullied around' to some extent and must tow the line, suck it up or lose their jobs.

I think refereeing is very hard. Add to that the scrutiny they receive, the amount of constantly changing grey area directives they must follow and top it off with the lack of protection, then it is no wonder many make mistakes.

Arguing with a referee should be an automatic yellow card as a baseline for everything in the game.
I would also make it mandatory for footballers to take a basic course on the laws of the game.

Perhaps this may also help some ex footballers take it up after retirement.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

fjthegrey wrote:You just wait and see.
This should and most likely will get rescinded mate.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: I would also make it mandatory for footballers to take a basic course on the laws of the game.

Perhaps this may also help some ex footballers take it up after retirement.
Definitely this.

I have recently done a referee course and it was actually really interesting, now i need to grow a pair and go out there and officiate some matches to get my qualifications.
FlorinHammer

Post by FlorinHammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
This should and most likely will get rescinded mate.
I think it should, but I believe all members of the appeal panel have to agree it should be overturned... I can see one of them not being convinced and not wanting to 'question the referee's integrity' or something like that and voting for the ban to remain.
warp

Post by warp »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Easier said than done.

Most people in employment get 'bullied around' to some extent and must tow the line, suck it up or lose their jobs.
yes.
by their boss, not someone else's. as said, mourinho has no power over any referee's career.
unless of course his word has some weight on whether a referee referees or not...
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

The thing is, what does rescinding a card give us?
Feghouli not banned - a player who was making his first start for the first x11 so hardly an issue for us.
A "moral victory"? We had several "moral victories" last season with rescinded cards and all we get is more.
We get nothing out of this whilst man u get 3 points. A real moral victory would be the 3 points awarded to us for Jones cheating.
Everything that happened after the sending off is redundant and a loss to us.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Of course it didn't help our position by the way Feghouli looked back expecting some sort of punishment , he should have got up and ran back to take up his position the same as 99.9% of players do .
Ah well .

What I would dearly like to see when a decision like that happens so early in the game is for everyone to leave the ground en masse in protest - just to see the look on that dopey Dean's face .

Obviously you're all allowed back in 5 minutes later . :)