FAC3: West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (06/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: West Ham United V Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by Hammertapp »

I don't even think City were very good, really.

The regularity at which we're getting tonked is pretty numbing.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hammertapp wrote:I don't even think City were very good, really.

Their movement and passing were the best i've seen this season
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Romford wrote:Their movement and passing were the best i've seen this season
and they never really seemed to get out of second gear - the gulf between them and us was embarrassing
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

As monkey features said on BBC, they are light years ahead of us.

I'm afraid that in my opinion the old days of hoofing the ball up, or getting players down the flanks to cross for a centre forward to knockdown to someone else (not that we have been doing that too successfully this season), have long since gone.
Jayhammer

Post by Jayhammer »

Discobar wrote:You can't ever justify a 5-0 loss at home. If i turned up at work on Monday after a horrific weekend without feeling any pressure something would be very wrong.

Bilic has got this badly wrong, regardless of cup or league and the bottom line is that tonights result is not acceptable

That's right was saying the same on the way out. You should never lose 5-0 at home! And we have conceded
5 twice in the last couple of months! I will say again there is something serious wrong at our club, been saying it since the 1st game of the season.
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

Hammertapp wrote:I don't even think City were very good, really.

We have hit them at their best twice this season, the first half of the league game at their place and last night, for me the only way to play against Pep's teams are without fear and relentless pressing of their defenders and midfielders, we just don't seem to have players that are fit enough for that bar maybe Obiang.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

kevino wrote:As monkey features said on BBC, they are light years ahead of us.

I'm afraid that in my opinion the old days of hoofing the ball up, or getting players down the flanks to cross for a centre forward to knockdown to someone else (not that we have been doing that too successfully this season), have long since gone.
We are still paying for the decision to buy Carroll 4 years ago. Our managers think they need to play him, when fit, because now and again he will have one of his performances. However, most of the time it just means we are playig archaic one dimensional football that doesn't suit the players we have
Hammertapp

Post by Hammertapp »

MadMart wrote: and they never really seemed to get out of second gear - the gulf between them and us was embarrassing
That's the sad reality of it.

Our players died an incredibly unceremonious death last night.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

RichieRiv wrote:Glad those defeats bring you such happy memories ... me I prefer to win ... but then each to their own ...
IronworksDave wrote: As a fan for all those years, I would have thought you'd know that our support uses humour in times of adversity. I remember doing the hokey cokey at Old Trafford when we getting spanked and several thousand fans singing let's all have a disco.

It's a fond memory of just how good our support is, even when the players are ****.

Those own you talk about number thousands.
Precisely. I remember doing the conga along the chicken run when we were 3-0 down in our last game and already relegated in 2011. I remember signing "how **** must you be, we lose every week" pretty much every game during the same season. Yesterday's chanting from 130 was more of the same. And they say west ham is dead!

All the moaners, if you're willing to try to enjoy a proper west ham atmosphere, move to 130 or 114/113/112 next year. If you still don't like it, make a decision end of next season not to renew.
Hammertapp

Post by Hammertapp »

Thedogsbilic wrote:
We have hit them at their best twice this season, the first half of the league game at their place and last night, for me the only way to play against Pep's teams are without fear and relentless pressing of their defenders and midfielders, we just don't seem to have players that are fit enough for that bar maybe Obiang.
Don't think it's possible to press with any intensity when Carroll starts up top. Not difficult for the opposition to easily bypass him.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Aceface wrote:
2. The collapse still shouldn't have happened, but you can see why it did. In the space of 6 days we had to play last year's champions away, Manchester United with 10 men, and Manchester City. When that penalty was called, it was almost like there was a collective exhalation at the cumulation of the poor calls on Feghouli, the two offside calls that didn't get spotted against Man United, and then the penalty. Given the stark divide between how we played before that and how we played after, we pretty clearly had a 'what's the point?' moment and dropped heads for a short period - which let Man City smash in those two quick goals and completely kill the game.

8. We need to get a bung to whoever makes these cup draws - Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City this season, Manchester United and Liverpool last season. Cut a brother some slack.
A rather excellent post , Aceface , the best of the thread . :thup:
TheKippaxYears

Post by TheKippaxYears »

Man City fan in peace and friendship here. Not crowing, not a bit of it.
Just want to say that that Spiderman jape is pure class.
We've always liked you guys, and like to think it's fairly reciprocal. I remember taking the wrong turnstile to get into Upton Park in about 1977. Was in amongst all the Hammers madmen. f***, but it was weird. When we scored, I had to bite down hard on my tongue, and sort of try to look sad. When you scored, I had to force a sort of wan smile, while everyone round me was going mental.

You'll be ok. But what's going on with Payet? And what on earth is Bilic thinking bringing him on when you're 4-0 down?
The London Stadium? Not been, yet. But it's very, very difficult to recreate the atmosphere when you move into a new place. I know what I'm talking about. I still hanker for Maine Rd after all these years. For a stadium to live it has to have been lived in. For decades.
Last edited by TheKippaxYears on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Don't want it clog up the thread by quoting it but Aceface that's a great post with which I completely agree with.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

TheKippaxYears wrote:Man City fan in peace and friendship here. Not crowing, not a bit of it.
Just want to say that that Spiderman jape is pure class.
We've always liked you guys, and like to think it's fairly reciprocal. I remember taking the wrong turnstile to get into Upton Park in about 1977. Was in amongst all the Hammers madmen. ****, but it was weird. When we scored, I had to bite down hard on my tongue, and sort of try to look sad. When you scored, I had to force a sort of wan smile, while everyone round me was going mental.

You'll be ok. But what's going on with Payet? And what on earth is Bilic thinking bringing him on when you're 4-0 down?
The London Stadium? Not been, yet. But it's very, very difficult to recreate the atmosphere when you move into a new place. I know what I'm talking about. I still hanker for Maine Rd after all these years. For a stadium to live it has to have been lived in. For decades.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Good players with good skill and technique for sure but so much easier to look like world beaters when the opposition are not stopping you!
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Romford wrote:Have to laugh at City not selling out their tickets...can you imagine that the other way around with that team playing for you !
Friday killed it for many of us. I decided not to go, had a change of heart and then reneged again because of trains and post-Christmas / New Year spending. My branch is big but they didn't organise transport.

We'd have filled it had the kick off been sensible.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Another one here who agrees wholeheartedly with Aceface's post.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Devs Hampton wrote:
Good players with good skill and technique for sure but so much easier to look like world beaters when the opposition are not stopping you!
Spot on mate.....you give class players time and they will kill you.

That these same players also know how to fight says everything....
thewhirlwind
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

[quote

Their movement and passing were the best i've seen this season[/quote]

That's because we weren't within 5 yards of their midfield and gave them all the time in the world to pick a pass
There was no pressure on the ball whatsoever... Very difficult to judge whether they were good or not as we made it so easy for them.. That must be the easiest game they've had all season