FAC3: West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (06/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

NorthBankAlliance

Re: West Ham United V Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

lukeWHU wrote:Does anyone genuinely think that the team would be playing better if we were still at Upton Park? Those players aren't good enough regardless of the venue.
Well that was our record home FA Cup loss, nothing as heavy as that ever happened at UP...
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

PortCityIron wrote:Top drawer stuff here. Almost makes it all worth it

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's outstanding!.

Auntie Beeb pulled away and the commentator said'; 'someone is on the pitch, that's the last thing West Ham need at the moment'

I beg to differ, It was just Hammers fans in providing their own entertainment in the face of adversity!

Perhaps; ' some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over' would have been devastatingly accurate

:crest:
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Shows how bad it is as well when solitary blocks are praised for actually making a noise...
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Its happened before and will happen again because we cannot compete against the moneybags teams. Compare the price of the teams 30 - 50m players against our frees and 7m players.

One thing for sure is that we as a club have lost something with the move to the bowl. Our fans cant influence games as they used to.

Spurs chelsea arsenal city all have their fans close to the pitch.

I was in 242 upper east and awful little singing and so far away I was not part of the match. Most people were discussing when they would leave . I stayed and saw spiderman and friend. The highlight from a sad night for our great club.
Will be back on saturday week for palace in 124. Better but so far from the pitch.

COYI
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Waking up this morning was like finding that fat minging cow from #28 in bed beside me............ :thdn:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

http://www.givemesport.com/956565-pitch ... -III-1sted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

A few stray, hangover and cigarette-impaired, thoughts:

1. Having the ref kill overtime out of pure pity, live on national telly in an empty, rainy stadium instantly takes its place in the hall of shame alongside the Avram Grant - Millwall Legend plane, Allardyce's drubbing with the kids at Forest and other classics of the genre. It doesn't get much better.

2. The collapse still shouldn't have happened, but you can see why it did. In the space of 6 days we had to play last year's champions away, Manchester United with 10 men, and Manchester City. When that penalty was called, it was almost like there was a collective exhalation at the cumulation of the poor calls on Feghouli, the two offside calls that didn't get spotted against Man United, and then the penalty. Given the stark divide between how we played before that and how we played after, we pretty clearly had a 'what's the point?' moment and dropped heads for a short period - which let Man City smash in those two quick goals and completely kill the game.

3. Taking the longer view of the week, the period between the 20th minute mark against Leicester until the 30th minute yesterday - taking in the entire Manchester United match - we perversely had our longest stretch of playing well this season. That's 180 minutes where we at least superficially resembled last year's team. Didn't score a goal though.

4. If anyone makes a better tackle than Reid's on Sterling this season it probably means they decided to pay for that Bobby Moore hologram after all. Clean as a whistle. Which it would have to be when you make that tackle on a diver like Sterling running at full tilt. If you need cheering up this morning, imagine Ogbonna (or Stones) attempting the same tackle. There'd be body parts flying everywhere.

5. Yesterday showed what a red herring the whole 'Payet doesn't track back' thing is. They're all more than capable of not making their tackles when he's not on the field, except without a fraction of the attacking threat to offset it. The thought of this team without him, even in his current below-par state, is terrifying.

6. That might well be the last time Adrian starts a game at home for us. Poor fella - wait that long and ship 5, none of them his fault.

7. Initially it seemed as though the fact we'd played virtually all the top clubs away already - it's only the Emirates out of the entire top 7 where we've still got to go - meant we were ripe for a better points haul in the second half of the season. I'm starting to think that may actually be a handicap if anything. We don't seem to be able to score at home.

8. We need to get a bung to whoever makes these cup draws - Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City this season, Manchester United and Liverpool last season. Cut a brother some slack.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

PortCityIron wrote:Top drawer stuff here. Almost makes it all worth it :P

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And still the ref didn't give it!!!
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

I bet Plymouth Argyle put up a better fight against Liverpool than we did last night, as do most non-league teams when they play premier opposition. They are always up for the fight. We just rolled over and died.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:I bet Plymouth Argyle put up a better fight against Liverpool than we did last night, as do most non-league teams when they play premier opposition. They are always up for the fight. We just rolled over and died.
I hope so, as I am going up there tomorrow!
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:I bet Plymouth Argyle put up a better fight against Liverpool than we did last night, as do most non-league teams when they play premier opposition. They are always up for the fight. We just rolled over and died.
I said the same thing in the match thread straight after the final whistle, any non league side would have fought harder than our bunch did, sadly these players are for the most part just going through the motions, they look unmotivated and uninterested
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:
Well that was our record home FA Cup loss, nothing as heavy as that ever happened at UP...
We had hundreds of pretty dreadful performances at Upton Park. We haven't exactly been awash with success over the last 30 years.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Aceface wrote:A few stray, hangover and cigarette-impaired, thoughts:
Very good post :thup:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I didn't watch the game and haven't read the thread in full, but I've just watched the highlights.

1 thing stood out on every goal, Ogbonna.

Was he that bad during the game or did the highlights make him look worse?

Strolling around and putting in half arsed attempts to block the ball. On the 5th he was stood on his own on the edge of the box.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I have backed him all the way but a lot of that last night was down to the shape and formation last night...and of course the quality of their players.

I don't think anybody who watches the team regularly was surprised what happened after.

Let City play on a big pitch....and you are asking for trouble.

Ref didn't help mind.

Have to laugh at City not selling out their tickets...can you imagine that the other way around with that team playing for you !
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Shows how bad it is as well when solitary blocks are praised for actually making a noise...
Nothing wrong with the atmosphere last night mate...till the obvious
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

I'd be tempted to chuck Oxford in place of Ogbonna. We need someone similar to Reid that will try and play out the back, and has composure.

On a separate note, could the BBC commentary team at least do their homework on our players. The amount of times Ogbonna was called Obiang was ridiculous
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

I think everything has been said, one sad night for Our Club! and for such a large TV audience to see as well, as I have said on the thread about the owners we look amateur from top to bottom currently. Yes Manchester City were superb only an idiot would deny that, but what a sad team we looked, only Reid and in some ways Antonio can hold their heads up, we seem complete lost, next weekend worries me it is one match we must not lose.

Yes we won some recent matches, but not like last season, no one seems to know their real position they are playing, more so Antonio only usually gives all, players like Cresswell are half what they were last season, we do not have a good enough defence, one man can't defend, and in the box strikers are too often not there when needed.

I Love Slav, but it does not convince me shouting out constantly on the side where players should be, he also looks lost, don't thing the suit that looks like it come off the market helps, and Mr Gold has attempted to embroider a badge on looks professional, a white shirt and black t shirt does not help, everything we do does not seem right.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Realy think we need to get ogbonna out of the side and collins in when he is fit again at least collins gives us 120% every game.We need to get oxford on the scene too ok hes young but I rekon he too would give us 120% unlike ogbonna who in my opinion needs shifting on :crest:
FlorinHammer

Post by FlorinHammer »

Aceface wrote:A few stray, hangover and cigarette-impaired, thoughts:
2. The collapse still shouldn't have happened, but you can see why it did. In the space of 6 days we had to play last year's champions away, Manchester United with 10 men, and Manchester City. When that penalty was called, it was almost like there was a collective exhalation at the cumulation of the poor calls on Feghouli, the two offside calls that didn't get spotted against Man United, and then the penalty. Given the stark divide between how we played before that and how we played after, we pretty clearly had a 'what's the point?' moment and dropped heads for a short period - which let Man City smash in those two quick goals and completely kill the game.

3. Taking the longer view of the week, the period between the 20th minute mark against Leicester until the 30th minute yesterday - taking in the entire Manchester United match - we perversely had our longest stretch of playing well this season. That's 180 minutes where we at least superficially resembled last year's team. Didn't score a goal though.
Agree with these two points the most - I said this for most of last night.
If we played like we did on Monday vs Man Utd, with 11 men instead of 10and not having dubious decisions against us constantly, we'd be challenging for 7th or 8th.
Against Leicester we played well but were unlucky.
Yesterday I thought we played decently for 35 minutes, maybe not well enough to win the game, but a decent enough performance. Switched off for 10 minutes after the penalty and then didn't seem much point once 3-0 down, and then Aguero plays basketball, wins a corner and they score.
Personally the only question I'd be asking, if I was Bilic, was why they switched off for 10 minutes after the penalty. Teams like Man City, managed by Guardiola, with De Bruyne, Aguero, Silva, Sterling etc, can rip teams apart with passing. As someone pointed out, other teams have been capable of preventing this. And we did for 1/3 of the game before they got a dubious penalty, after which we completely switched off and let them pass through us. That's the only fault I have with last night personally, why did we switch off after the penalty and get lax. If we'd played like we did up until the penalty until the end, I don't necessarily think we would have won, but I think it would have been a close game. Switching off killed us.
That's the only thing I'd be asking the players/myself if I was Slaven.