FAC3: West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (06/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

gouldie

Re: West Ham United V Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by gouldie »

Ok , ok I've come back after saying I was done. I really don't know what has to happen, maybe the atmosphere in the stadium can turn round? maybe we can sack slaven and get a new manager? maybe we can sell to a rich Arab or fizzy pop company? I don't have any answers the same as everyone else but, this shambles surely can't carry on. We got lucky for a couple of games and papered over the cracks temporarily but after tonight's showing. There was just no fight, no passion, no desire. It hurts! What can we do? Is there even an answer? All I know is that that was ****ing embarrassing and things have to change.
Last edited by gouldie on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

f*** off dave sulley jnr, go use this match for more retweets and followers you ****.
Oldammer

Post by Oldammer »

So many people going on about the right back situation but the first three goals, including the pen, came from our left side. We always play tight at the back and allow any team we play far too much room and time on the flanks. We get away with it against 'lesser' teams. The better teams will always exploit it to good effect. City played well and are a different class, but we rolled over, unacceptable. We could have shipped three or four goals against Burnley or Hull and got away with it. You ain't gonna get away with it against 500 millions worth.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

steps wrote: Snodgrass, Glenn Johnson and Defoe all lined up mate.

The future is bright. :raver:
gazzaA2 wrote: Is Joe Cole still playing?
Lampard is considering playing again and Ravel Morrison is training with Wigan. (oh and Johnny Spector is still playing RB for Brum).
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Just because the ball comes down the left hand side it doesn't mean the RB cannot be at fault... Tucking in and tracking runners when the ball is on the opposite flank is a critical part of a defensive duty
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by Pob! »

Im so glad I didn't go..
I had a feeling this was coming so I stayed comfortably cosy in the warm with a hot cuppa and some custard creams ...
Its all just a load of old ***** down the misery bowl isn't it?
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote:It's not one of the more obvious points that needs addressing out of tonight's shambles, but I think I've had my fill of seeing Andy Carroll in a West Ham shirt now.

We only ever play football one way when he plays and we're absolute :thdn: at doing that. He gives us 10-15 games a season when he might be fit and 1-2 of those he might be unplayable (as per Arsenal last season).

The rest of the time he's a useful asset when we're defending corners, wins a lot of headers on the halfway line where we generally have no idea how to deal with the second ball, and is an absolute full-time hindrance to any type of inventive, incisive attacking football. To the extent where you see more of him berating teammates for not sticking floaty balls up to him as he likes (which he never actually wins) or moaning to referees, than him troubling defenders, let alone goalkeepers, as he's handsomely paid to do.
He's the most expensive carthorse in the premiership. And he's not even that good a carthorse ffs. An option B off the bench is all he should ever be
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

I think Cresswell has been shocking recently and decided to watch him closely especially in the first half as I was sitting as close to his position as possible....in a nutshell I thought he was terrible

Looked scared to commit into a tackle, positioning bad, had loads of room to get forward but was too slow and all in all looked totally disinterested with zero fire in the belly.

Not sure if this is due to lack of confidence from the injury or just not good enough...
Last edited by WeallwantMoore on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Jesus Christ I've never seen my daughter so angry.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Ogbonnas distribution was an absolute joke.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

[quote="Phil S"

I really thought at 3-0 it flattered them we played well upto the pen.

Second half was **** though.[/quote]

Nah, we played well in the area they let us, middle of the pitch. When it mattered, penetrating their box and defending ours we completely hopeless mate
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

kitthehammer wrote:I've been saying for several seasons we are not interested in cups. I wish we would just admit it and stick the kids out.
Think you may be confused between 'not Interested' and just 'not good' ?
Oldammer

Post by Oldammer »

sharphammer wrote:Just because the ball comes down the left hand side it doesn't mean the RB cannot be at fault... Tucking in and tracking runners when the ball is on the opposite flank is a critical part of a defensive duty
Agree, but we get hurt from both sides. I'm just saying the right back situation gets all the attention so the same can be said for both sides. I also think our left back has been poor this season. Stands off too much with his hands behind his back. It's too easy getting balls into our box. Lost count how many times Reid has saved us from a pasting. He was immense tonight and stopped three goals on his own before the pen.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by woodywoody »

I'm afraid on a big pitch like ours you need some runners and if you was to play horses for courses you'd sit back with 2 up front and lump it forward. Carol can not put pressure on defenders and close down fast as well as opposition defenders know he won't be running past them. No I don't want this football but Slav must have an idea what he wants or needs to build his jigsaw and this is what worries me because if you try and play a certain way without the required players it just ain't going to work as seen this year on many occasions. He will never be poor so Either the Daves have him under a spell or he is lost.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

I was thinking the same ... we looked decent because they let us before the penalty... watching it you could see we were letting them have the midfield and none was closing down players in front of them... even before penalty they strolled into our box at will..,

Slav said before game we was going to press high and after ten minutes we were sitting deep ... if there was a game plan I don't think we followed it by any stretch ...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

That game had nothing to do with not havig a decent RB. We could have had gary neville playING there and still been ****

Creswell needs to pull his finger out, and as for Carroll?? Dear me
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

How about next time we draw Man City in the cup we just forfeit.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

It just makes me depressed. I enjoy watching football in general and I probably watch a good few games a month but I swear it's only West Ham this season that just goes down without a fight. I wish we had half the attitude that we had last season or better yet, half the attitude of Bournemouth. Their games against Liverpool and Arsenal is something for us to dream about this season. Eddie Howe in please.
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

What doesn't help is zero movement up front...last year we had 2 bombing about pulling defenders everywhere...we played the best stuff ive seen for a long time from a West Ham team.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

[quote="woodyw] Slav must have an idea what he wants or needs to build his jigsaw and this is what worries me because if you try and play a certain way without the required players it just ain't going to work as seen this year on many occasions. He will never be poor so Either the Daves have him under a spell or he is lost.[/quote]

I think his use of the players we have and thier strengths have not been played to... he certainly deserves a good share of the criticism.... might also explain that loss of confidence generally...