West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace (14/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham United V Crystal Palace: Match thread

Post by Upton Carp »

Anyone know a site showing the whole match? Only caught the highlights on MoTD but would love to watch the whole game.
warontheterraces
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by warontheterraces »

wigwig wrote:Sam calls all 3 goals 'gifts'?!?
A man who always has plenty to say...the problem is a fair portion of it is complete bum gravy. This is the bloke that thought he had the talent to be Real Madrid manager and felt hard done to by the press, despite the fact it was his own big mouth that got him in the mire. No axe to grind with Fatso but always thought he was a bit of tool but each to their own. Up The Hammers...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I've just been threatened by a Palace "ultra" in the guardian comments section. Has anyone ever heard of a more middle-class and embarrassing football exchange?
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I've been reading a few of the different threads quietly this morning and it's really refreshing to almost see a breeze of optimism blowing through KUMB. Look, this is West Ham so we know the next disaster is only around the corner but it does feel like this season to date makes sense now with last weeks revelations, we have exorcised that ghost and whisper it quietly, we are ready to turn the corner and kick on.

Love this club.

COYI :crest:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

A game of Two Half's, the first we seemed to be like a rabbit staring into the headlights of the oncoming car, then the second half, Wow! we even started to get behind the players and made the stadium Rock, that's how it should be!

Great to have Byram back in the second half, Antonio in the position he should be! and Lanzini that heart he has for The Club, feel so pleased for Slav, but we need to get positions right!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DasNutNock wrote:I've just been threatened by a Palace "ultra" in the guardian comments section. Has anyone ever heard of a more middle-class and embarrassing football exchange?
Was it that ParDieu fella . :)

Nosiness is part of the Highland way of life .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Watching the six and a half minutes highlights on the club site, note Lanzini's running for his goal. Reid heads away a palace attack in the middle of our penalty area and right beside him is Lanzini. As the ball heads towards Antonio, Lanzini is sprinting up the pitch like Usain Bolt. He's not even looking at the ball, he just wants to get forward as quickly as he can.

Great effort and determination.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammerman11 wrote:Been said before many times but we looked better when going to 4 at the back. However we do need the right back as Byram is naive at best sometimes. He also picks up too many bookings and will get a red soon with all the awful refs out there.
To give credit where it's due, I thought the Ref had a good game yesterday. He could easily have gave Byram a second yellow at the end. Mike Dean would have without a shadow of a doubt.
artlin

Post by artlin »

BillUp wrote:Has anyone thought that what has been going on at the club has effected Noble as well? He is West Ham through and through as we all know, and it has certainly effected him and his performances.

Give the guy a break (not from the team before someone says it) I say. Hopefully when all this **** blows over, we can start seeing the last seasons performances from him. You can tell from his interviews he isn't happy.
That was my thinking too.

He must have been aware of the goings on over the past few weeks. Being Captain kind of puts him in the middle.

I feel that we will have a much better second half of the season.

We are better than Burnley and Bournemouth, who are above us. We should be looking to battle it out with Stoke and Everton for 7th place.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Was it that ParDieu fella . :)

Nosiness is part of the Highland way of life .
It was. What an absolute tool.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by lib2007 »

What an absolute killer of a game. So happy to see the lads stick together and play with so much passion. I can't imagine what the last few weeks must have been like for Bilic, but whatever he did, whatever he said to the players - you can clearly see how everybody gave it their all on the pitch. Great atmosphere!! I so love you West Ham!!!!
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Over the 90 minutes we had 7 Brits (6 English plus GP) as well as token Englishman Randy involved at some stage.

A bit different to the line-up vs Accrington Stanley.

West Ham is back!

:scarfer:
Caltagir

Post by Caltagir »

Liked Noble coming straight out and clapping fans in both corners at start. Did the same at the end.
Must be a drain on the spirit having to toe the company line and defend Payet over the past few weeks when you know he's a disruptive influence and a major part of the problem in performances.
No, Noble's performances haven't been up to spec but how many others have been consistently good, other than Antonio?
Cresswell has suffered because Kermit's fatter brother wouldn't pass to him. God only knows what all those chances the stats say he crested were because I sure didn't see them.
Great result yesterday, great noise in the bowl and good to see players clapping the fans at the end - led again, by Noble.
He's the Captain. Give him a break and see if we can push on. Boro is the biggie. Anything at all from a City is a bonus, given how this season has gone...

COYI!
Pompey C&B

Post by Pompey C&B »

Lanzini's effort to get in the end of that through ball was immense! From inside our box. Yes, the big man's goal was a little special, but that commitment from the Argie is a joy to eatch
mickeymacavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by mickeymacavennie »

Ambivalent.[/quote]

I'm going soft. Thought that he deserved a polite round of applause for his contribution. If nothing 'cos he got us up and left Super Slaven with the base of a half-decent squad.

And that's according to Slaven himself who, unprompted, generously volunteered that at the End of Season Dinner last May.

We ain't got an axe to grind with Fat Sam now. Have we?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Watching the six and a half minutes highlights on the club site, note Lanzini's running for his goal. Reid heads away a palace attack in the middle of our penalty area and right beside him is Lanzini. As the ball heads towards Antonio, Lanzini is sprinting up the pitch like Usain Bolt. He's not even looking at the ball, he just wants to get forward as quickly as he can.

Great effort and determination.
We can expect him to come out of Payet's shadow now and become our ' main man ' - great effort and determination as you rightly say , Johnny - also showed a cool head after all that running , a finish Di Canio would have been proud of .

Along with Feghouli , Noble , Ayew and hopefully young Fernandes he needs to find the back of the net on a consistent level much as our midfield did last season .
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Just got back. West Ham have had a **** week, me and my family have had a **** few weeks with my dear old pop on his last legs, and yesterday has given me and my mum such a lift. Funny how football can do that. Gave my usual seat to a nephew and i had a mates seat in block 113 who couldn't go...was rocking in there, i loved it. Was wonderful to see the unity of the players, manager and fans. Iron Mike certainly made of the right stuff, great to see Lanzini dancing around the pitch for a full match, Feghouli showing promise and confidence now. Andy's goal a thing of beauty. i think i will always get stand up hairs on the back of my neck every time i see it. Quite emotional actually, and it has reminded me why I love this club.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

DasNutNock wrote:I've just been threatened by a Palace "ultra" in the guardian comments section. Has anyone ever heard of a more middle-class and embarrassing football exchange?
Did he offer to meet you and sort it out by the organic mung bean counter in Waitrose?
mickeymacavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by mickeymacavennie »

Great afternoon's entertainment.

Great to see the crowd getting behind Slaven.

Fantastic second half performance. Credit to Super Slaven for changing it around at half-time and going to a back four. Collins and Byram worked for me. Dunno if that's good enough to stand up against any of the Top Six though.

Perhaps Ogbonna will now have to up his game to get his move to Chelsea. Or maybe he'll go on strike :D

Getting Antonio and Feghouli (or Ayew) in and around Carroll (whilst fit) also works.

As does a midfield with Noble, Obiang (or Kouyate) and Lanzini.

Payet, Sakho, Zaza, Tore, Arbeloa, Ogbonna, Nordveit clear out required. There's a common denominator here. Yeah, none are from Canning Town.

Reckon we've got a half-decent squad of fourteen who will get us 7th-10th in the Prem without injuries. So the Question is back to 'Who are we going to sign to strengthen?'

Let's keep it real West Ham X
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Our best night yet in the new place. Yes, Chelsea was special, but yesterday was a day to savour, particularly the second half performance. It is strange how this Palace team, on paper, and with the manager they have should be significantly further up the table than they are, but they have been totally off form for a year, and it is looking like only a full refresher of the team will do.

The change to the 4-4-2 system was a masterstroke by Bilic, and Byram slotted in very well, alongside the defensive partnership of Ginge and Reid which has always been reliable since 2012. Fegouli looked well for the bulk of the second half, beating his man, and taking a nice goal. Antonio deserves significant credit for two assists, and Carroll was fantastic, by both taking and making chances.

I am not entirely sure that a corner has been turned, but in the past 5 weeks we have take 12 points, only losing to the Champions, and a strong Man Utd team, with a extra player to us after a poor decision. Also, after the less than impressive wins against Burnley and Hull, we more than made up for it with the heavy defeats of Swansea and Palace.