West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace (14/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: West Ham United V Crystal Palace: Match thread

Post by Harry Hound »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:
I deal situation or one that I see funny is Tomkins netting a 94th min winner for West Ham with an audacious headed own goal.
I think there would be a lot of Palace fans shouting foul if that were to happen and in truth it could be very hard for him to explain away :D
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Het-Field wrote:Is James Collins going to be back for this one?
Hopefully.

We will need him to contain Benteke.

I don't think this is the right game to start Oxford.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Fat Sam gets his first win and Tompkins scores in the 82nd min don't celebrate and kumb goes into meltdown :arry:
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

Dreading this, they will raise their game massively, BFS wants to win this BAD.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Aitch wrote:Fat Sam ain't won a game with palarse yet!! Just saying. :(
Given our record of being wholeheartedly charitable to struggling teams I can see him and Palace comfortably winning this. Sam will love it, really love it if he comes away with the win, and we could well find ourselves managerless shortly afterwards.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if slav tries a totally radical system in an effort to find something that clicks...expect a 5-1-3-1 or something mad. Defensive counter attacking narrow, with everything straight down the middle. Or 3-6-1, swamp the midfield and stifle them, and plenty of direct/long balls up to Andy with the plan for him to provide knock downs to on rushing midfielders. Better yet, why not deploy the never before seen 5-0-5 midfield bypass system and just lump it long and try to out Sam big Sam!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

On rushing midfielders? That is the problem. Kouyate apart I cannot remember the last time one of our starting central midfielders went beyond the striker. Kouyate willingness to try to get in the box was a major plus versus Swansea. When the ball goes wide especially if Carrol is in the build up, it is often only the opposite side wide player in the box and if that is Payet it can be no-one. Slowing it down does not help as it just means the defenders get better organised to mark 1 or 2 players.

I suspect Bilic has lost a little faith in Collins and Nord anywhere but central midfield scares me but if Byram is not fit he is the only choice for RB. Absent any new signings I can see us starting the same 11 and 4-5-1 but with Payet for Feghouli and possibly with Noble for Fernandez. If he feels really brave he may play both Payet and Feghouli dropping Lanzini back but I suspect Friday put paid to such an approach.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

For the last f**king time, it's Tomkins not Tompkins! :lol:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

With BFS he's likely to play his usual away set up 6 - 2 - 1 and it will be a 0 - 0 long ball borefest and we have no way of scoring except for deadballs with our current team. However it would not surprise me if, just to spite us, he plays an attacking, quick passing game through the middle!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

If he tries that we could carve them apart at the back, could.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

I want to play Carroll, I really do. But we don't seem to know how to use him which is ridiculous considering we have some very good crossers of the ball in our team. Matty Etherington would have a field day with the big man up there.

If we're going to play the smaller more ball-playing guys like Payet, Lanzini, Feghouli, Fernandes et al and with Cresswell in the mix I'm beginning to wonder if someone of the same stature who can make runs behind would be the best bet. If he's fit I'd start Calleri because he's as close to that type of player as we have available up top barring Martinez... and use Antonio as the muscle with AC to come on around the 70 mark.

EDIT: Even though he's taller thinking about it I think Fletcher has the ability to play the role also.
Last edited by Lee_WHU on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Hamburger wrote:With BFS he's likely to play his usual away set up 6 - 2 - 1 and it will be a 0 - 0 long ball borefest and we have no way of scoring except for deadballs with our current team. However it would not surprise me if, just to spite us, he plays an attacking, quick passing game through the middle!

It's funny isn't it Slav has us playing some total dross from back to front yet it's the bloke in the other dug out that gets coined with playing long ball
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Yeah, no idea how he got that reputation. Funny ol world.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Adrian
Oxford Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Obiang
Antonio Lanzini Payet
Fletcher Calleri
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hope we win.....I'd like it very much if we could win .

By a lot .

Please .
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

IF Colins is fit please put him in the team and drop Ogbonna. Id like to think even he can't be as bad as Ogbonna! And as soon as we get in a more comfortable position in the league (if we ever do) then give Oxford his chance. This isn't the game to do it. I hope we have a rightback in time for this game. But you just know we won't as Sully has the urgency of a statue. The reason I have gone with Nordtviet of the left of the bCk 3 is because that's where he played in Germany last season when Borussia also played that formation. So hopefully it will work. He's not left footed obviously. But I hope he won't play silly beggars like Ogbonna has been recently. I don't really like the 5 at the back system we were playing a few weeks ago. But we are so sh*t at the back and the lack of options we have we might not have any choice. Palace will sit back and try to frustrate the crowd and making them turn in the team, so perhaps we should do the same and then try to take advantage when they are more adventurous. I would tweak the forward line slightly and kind of go with a diamond formation, with Payet in the middle behind. He played his best football there last season. Why is he playing,aging on the left all the time all of a sudden? No wonder he looks disinterested when he's shoved out of the way. Put him in the middle of the action. Select Noble and if I was Bilic I'd have a word with him before the game. Remind him he is the captain of this club. My neck is on the line. If you want to turn this around you lead this time by example and have the ultimate captain's performance. Fingers crossed Cresswell ups his game aswell as he has been diabolical the last few games.

IF we sign Hogan in time put him in straightaway. He's fit and in form. Our other forwards are ***** and Payet will hopefully finally have someone to feed through. Especially if he plays in the middle, which is what I'd do. If Hogan isn't, then I'd go with Fletcher next to Antonio. Then go both run their ars*s off and hopefully support each other. Carroll hasn't played bad. It's been mainly down to us not playing to his strengths. Knowing how Big Sam usually sets his teams up, he'll be picking all the big b*stards at the back, so it will be difficult for Carroll. Bring him off the bench to hopefully he can cause some damage towards the end when they are tired.

------------------------------------------Randolph--------------------------------------

---------------------------Collins--------Reid---------Nordtviet----------------------

-Fernandes---------------------------------------------------------------Cresswell-

---------------------------------Noble-----------Obiang------------------------------

------------------------------------------Payet------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Antonio-----------Hogan/Fletcher-------------------

Subs: Adrian, Byram, Ogbonna, Oxford, Lanzini, Carroll, Fletcher/Martinez.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Sam hasn't won yet so it's nailed on that he does so here. I'd also worry for Slav if that happens. He looks like he has weight of the world on his shoulders at the moment so maybe it would be a relief for him.
shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

this game has loss written all over it, going up against a team with a better striker,better team play,better tactics and better MANAGER,

lose this and i will drive bilic to heathrow myself and buy his ticket
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

shakawakahislop wrote:this game has loss written all over it, going up against a team with a better striker,better team play,better tactics and better MANAGER,

lose this and i will drive bilic to heathrow myself and buy his ticket
man city was friday mate.

we're playing BFS's palace next.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

Beavis Danzig wrote: man city was friday mate.

we're playing BFS's palace next.
eactly my point,i miss big sam