West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace (14/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: West Ham United V Crystal Palace: Match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Some content for you...

The opposition view: Crystal Palace
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130676

Post-match press conference: Sam Allardyce vs West Ham United
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130677

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Crystal Palace
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130675
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Imagine thinking Spammers sounded like a cool word to use. Then using it in three times in two sentences.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

jaybs wrote:A game of Two Half's, the first we seemed to be like a rabbit staring into the headlights of the oncoming car, then the second half, Wow! we even started to get behind the players and made the stadium Rock, that's how it should be!

Great to have Byram back in the second half, Antonio in the position he should be! and Lanzini that heart he has for The Club, feel so pleased for Slav, but we need to get positions right!
Carroll played well didn't he?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

What is this '4 at the back' idea people speak of? I've even heard of 'full' backs replacing wing backs.

It'll never catch on...
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Anyone seen the kid in the crowd having trouble with his hoodie celebrating the Carroll goal?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Het-Field wrote: Antonio deserves significant credit for two assists
Three :wink:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

My favourite match at the OS so far...and given the context...in my all time top ten too....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mickeymacavennie wrote:Great afternoon's entertainment.

Great to see the crowd getting behind Slaven.

Fantastic second half performance. Credit to Super Slaven for changing it around at half-time and going to a back four. Collins and Byram worked for me. Dunno if that's good enough to stand up against any of the Top Six though.

Perhaps Ogbonna will now have to up his game to get his move to Chelsea. Or maybe he'll go on strike :D

Getting Antonio and Feghouli (or Ayew) in and around Carroll (whilst fit) also works.

As does a midfield with Noble, Obiang (or Kouyate) and Lanzini.

Payet, Sakho, Zaza, Tore, Arbeloa, Ogbonna, Nordveit clear out required. There's a common denominator here. Yeah, none are from Canning Town.

Reckon we've got a half-decent squad of fourteen who will get us 7th-10th in the Prem without injuries. So the Question is back to 'Who are we going to sign to strengthen?'

Let's keep it real West Ham X

Agree with everything you say, but I've personally not given up on this one just yet. I think what's happened with Payet and how sour it has quickly turned for him, this will be a timely reminder to him and others of how not to behave in future or you will get burned. I also don't think Sakho wants to particularly sour his relationship long term with the fans as he's played in the last like he cares. It'll be interesting to see how that story pans out and all when back from his genuine back injury. I know he was trying it on in the summer but maybe he'll think again once he sees how this is playing out for Payet. Then again, it might not matter diddly squat and he'll play up again but I've a feeling he won't dare take us on like Payet has. I also happen to rate him very highly as a natural goalscorer and would rather keep him when he's like that than not.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

It's no coincidence our three goals were all the result of quick thinking forward play.

It is so difficult to break teams down when they put ten behind the ball. Leicester won the title because of counter attacking football (and filfthy defending and Vardy's theatrics) and I don't understand why we are not pressing with intensity, then hitting the other team quickly. Nobes is the most guilty as he is turning into Ray Wilkins.

Come Slav, let's counter when we can at pace. :thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Het-Field wrote: Antonio deserves significant credit for two assists
Rocketron wrote: Three :wink:
Funny thing is, the first one was a shot that was going wide, the second was a cross that was behind Carroll, and the third was a nice pass, but which still left Lanzini needing to run half the pitch covered by three defenders and dink the ball past the keeper to score.

None of the three would have resulted in a goal in any other game this season. But when you're on, you're on...
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Right lets get this over with, Byram had a great half of football, they were awful down the flanks and he exploited that, he also put in two worldie tackles, so here is it is, I was wrong, he'll do.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Byram is a very decent full back in my opinion, he just needs game time at this level. He is a little bit raw in certain aspects, he can be a bit too committed at times and receives too many needless bookings. I watched him a lot at Leeds and he is a very good modern day full back and he does have a few goals in him.

As for the match, we played really second half and see flashes of last season, a real togetherness between the team and the fans. Palace were pretty poor though, it was a very Allardyce type performance away from home, keeping it solid and coming unstuck once a goal was conceded and they had to come out and play.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The Gibbins wrote:I watched him a lot at Leeds and he is a very good modern day full back and he does have a few goals in him.
My mate is a Leeds fan. Didn't he play quite a bit in RM and CM too?

I think he looks good, just don't think he will be like Cresswell and settle in that quickly to a full back position

Still a position that worries me, and needs investment this month
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Estuary wrote:Right lets get this over with, Byram had a great half of football, they were awful down the flanks and he exploited that, he also put in two worldie tackles, so here is it is, I was wrong, he'll do.
Oh no he won't!

Just thought I'd add some factual information to this budding bromance :D
KUMB Insider

Post by KUMB Insider »

KUMB Insider wrote:for the first time this season i actually feel confident

i hope that the dark cloud has been lifted with payet getting outed by bilic and the team really have some fight in them today

:crest:

3 - 0

bloody wish I had put some money on that now !
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Crystal Palace F.C. ‏@CPFC · 14m14 minutes ago
SA: In fairness, while everyone will say how good WHU were on Saturday - they weren't that good. We gifted them the goals.

Crystal Palace F.C. ‏@CPFC · 13m13 minutes ago
SA: Their first shot on target was just before the 70 minute mark, so they couldn't have been as good as everyone's said.

:)
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Stay classy Sam.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

70 minutes eh Sam? About as long as you kept the England job then....
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

He never quite tells a full story, Palace were doing nothing and asking for the eventual pressure they received. Mistakes happen when you defend and invite pressure, and we had chances prior to the goal.

I remember one season away to Everton, our plan was to pretty much keep it solid and Lukaku done what Lukaku does and eventually scored late against us. From there it was a game over, our plan wasn't really to score and once we went a goal down there was no set up there to get back into it. i think Palace were similar on Saturday, they only ever looked like getting a 0-0 draw at best, there wasn't enough ambition to their play and they struggled once the first went in.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

full quote

"In all fairness on Saturday, well everybody will say how good West Ham were but they weren't really that good; apart from when they scored and went into the last few minutes when in all fairness we gifted the goals. Their first shot on target was the goal they scored in the 68th minute so they can't have been as good as everyone said they were."

charming to the last.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.