West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace (14/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: West Ham United V Crystal Palace: Match thread

Post by duncanio »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Personally thought that the side had far more balance without Payet on the pitch. It wasn't just a case of give the ball to Payet. I think we still create as many chances without him - it's just that they're distributed around the team more instead of all coming from one player. It was a proper team effort today.
Totally agree, my thoughts exactly.
forestgate58
Has liked: 1 like

Post by forestgate58 »

Just out of interest, how was Sam received? :kumb:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Possibly worth reminding ourselves / REmbering we were playing arguably the worse side in he league.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

forestgate58 wrote:Just out of interest, how was Sam received? :kumb:
Sam who?
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

I wonder how significant this is?
From the team that played so well in the second half today:

Randolph (British)
Cresswell (British)
Collins (British)
Reid (English as his first language)
Byram (British)
Lanzini
Noble (British)
Obiang
Feghouli
Antonio (British)
Carrol (British)

Im not xenophobic but it's the most cohesive I have seen us all season.

5 English men, 7 Brits and 8 players who have English as their first language.
Last edited by My_Sobriquet on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

That was an amazing match. I am not surprised the first half was a bit cagey. We were coming off a big drubbing and clearly the Payet situation has taken its toll on the dressing room.
We looked too defensive in the first half, and you can see we were very hesitant going forward with Antontio at right wingback.
The substitution and change of tactics was bold, inspired and needed. I thought Byram did well at right back. He was naive for the yellow card and need to cut that out of his play. Feghouli played well but I thought Antonio was man of the match, but Obiang, Noble and Lanzini were all excellent. We are a completely different team when Carroll isn't isolated. In fairness 3-0 was a fair result and if anything understated our second half dominance.
What we should have learned from this are the following things:
1) No player is greater than the team.
2)We really need 2 proper right backs and 2 proper left backs.
3) We need a better centre back partner for Reid so we can play 4-4-2
4) As good as Kouyate is he just is not defensively aware or responsible enough to play in central midfield.Today, Obiang, Feghouli, Antonio, Fernandes, Lanzini and the much maligned Noble all did a very good job of tracking runners from mid field and not letting them defenders get exposed or isolated. This is something that Kouyate does every time he is played in central midfield and it has cost us countless scoring chances for the opposition.
5) The players and fans want Slaven Bilic as manager. If the owners don't see this they are bigger idiots than I already think.
6) Everyone who was ****ing over Palaces transfers this summer should just chill. We had a pretty crap summer window, but Benteke was a huge waste of money, and would rather have fletcher than him and Andros Townsend is no better than Feghouli.

The best thing about the win is that we did one over Fat Sam, and we did it in style.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Great win, some real positive signs. Feghouli first league goal, Carroll makes sure the snake won't win goal of the season. Lanzini gives a MotM performance and gets his first goal at the Olympic Stadium. Antonio - 3 assists in 18 mins. Noble's best game at the stadium. Collins and Byram back positive going forward. Bilic got his changes right today.

Joel Ward should've seen red in stoppage time for that kick to Byram's stomach, with malicious intent too.Poor decision to yellow imo.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

You know what gives me great pride and satisfaction? Last year when Slav was enjoying his honeymoon period and everything in the Boleyn was rosy, a rather embittered Sam Allardyce predicted something along the lines of "Just wait until the results start going against them and then they'll turn on him, same as they did with me".

Well sorry Sam, but I doubt it has escaped your attention this season that you called it 100% wrong. I don't much care about sticking it to you but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the icing on the cake, but what feels great to me is having it proved that West Ham fans are much better than you ever gave them credit for.

To take the flip-side of a popular phrase, you may have been an a...hole, Sam but you were never our a...hole.
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

Last edited by Czech Hammer on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Bruce Millington, Racing Post journo and Palace fan:

"Impressed with West Ham fans' backing for Bilic over Payet today.Less impressed by Allardyce's efforts to improve our defensive organisation"
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

I hope that french twat now realises he is not the be all and end all of our club and is a bit gutted at the fact our best performance of the season came without him.
I do wish the stupid revamped payet songs wernt being sung all day though
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Well, that was a game of two halves.

The first half was everything you'd expect from two sides who aren't having the best of times. Playing five across the back stifled the midfield, there was rarely anyone forward to pass to, so we just played it across the back line most of the time. We did get forward once or twice, AC firing just over with his right foot. Feghouli and Lanzini tried their best but had precious few targets to feed. I suspect both sides were happy with 0-0 at half time, although Agent Tomkins could (and should) have put them ahead.

Going four at the back and pushing Antonio forward was the kick in the backside the game needed. The midfield now had targets to pick out and there was movement off the ball. Feghouli looked dangerous every time he got the ball and managed some decent crosses, and his goal was richly deserved. He did what all good wingers should do and came in off his wing when the ball was over the other side. Whether Antonio meant it as a shot or a pass we'll never know. He didn't look up beforehand, if that helps.

AC's cracker came after a move of around ten passes, this time Antonio did look up and picked him out. If Bale or Ronaldo had scored that one, Sky would have it on a loop for a week. He looked really happy afterwards as well, giving an extra huge fist pump to the East Stand before he jogged back for the restart.

Lanzini's beautiful finish capped an excellent performance, he certainly expanded to fill the role. He also took a yellow for diving into the crowd but who cares?

The crowd were great too, Super Slav ringing out loud and clear from all round the ground, even from those of us who go upstairs to our seats. The team dug deep and clearly played for Slav, they all celebrated together after the goals and were constantly geeing up each other. They knew what was at stake and they responded magnificently. This was above all a team performance.

It was pleasing to me too that Sam wasn't abused, not that I heard anyway, he was just ignored, and the Payet song, suitably amended, was heard only once or twice near the start. Today was about those on the pitch, not those who weren't.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

I tell you what, I was real buzzed up after todays events.....
There was a real sense of anticipation about what was needed in all quarters after another week of press shitestorm over Payet, etc. A real game of two halves, but what a second half, we really tore Palace a new one with three fantastic goals. BFS must have really felt it with the fantastic chanting from the off in support of Super Slav. The atmosphere generally was the best I've experienced so far this season (only missed the Chelsea game as abroad.) If this afternoon is a taste of what the "new WHU experience" can be, then I want more. Fantastic stuff!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

My_Sobriquet wrote:I wonder how significant this is?

Randolph (British)
Cresswell (British)
Collins (British)
Byram (British)
Lanzini
Noble (British)
Obiang
Feghouli
Antonio (British)
Carrol (British)

Well, it's as simple as this. When you are in the trenches and it's either you, or the other guy, who would you rather have by your side, the Brits, or the French ?
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Welcome aboard the west ham rollercoaster. This is why we love West Ham. The west ham way, samuel, the west ham way.

Cracking result and cracking 2nd half.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Only seen the highlights, but very pleased with the movement for all 3 goals - that's the sort of WHU that I want to see - fast attacking football, with the ball played in front of players for them to run onto, instead of lots of dicking around in front of the opposition defence.

Also very pleased to see Antonio getting his head up and picking out 2 great passes for the 1st and 3rd goals, and pretty good one for the 2nd
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Wilko1304 wrote:Bruce Millington, Racing Post journo and Palace fan:

"Impressed with West Ham fans' backing for Bilic over Payet today.Less impressed by Allardyce's efforts to improve our defensive organisation"

Journo :lol:

He's been the editor for about 10 years has Bruce.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

can someone shrink the photo please
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Wey hey! Classic broken page :lol:
Johno13

Post by Johno13 »

My_Sobriquet wrote:I wonder how significant this is?

Randolph (British)
Cresswell (British)
Collins (British)
Byram (British)
Lanzini
Noble (British)
Obiang
Feghouli
Antonio (British)
Carrol (British)

Whilst I do agree with the point you're making, the pedant in me can't read this without being compelled to point out that Randolph isn't British