West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace (14/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 3188 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Re: West Ham United V Crystal Palace: Match thread

Post by OFT »

unmartillo wrote:Ugh, Payet is in the MOTD title graphics. Mid season update required :)
Yeah, slightly unfortunate,

Looking forward to the highlights for a change.
We're next up
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Carroll's goal from multiple angles :scarfer:

Commentator called it Payetesque. As if that sulky lazy git could get his arse that high off the ground...
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Bit of a shame the Payet thread is locked for a bit, but I can see why.

Just wanted to praise the almost instantaneous adaption of his song into an obscene and witty one.

I don't really blame him for wanting to go and there's spin on it, but I like the 'f*** him' response and the song is the first proper new one at the stadium. Shows there's some life left.

Loads of assists, some magical goals, a heady year long affair and now 2 good songs to his name. I hope someone translates it accurately for him.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Based on today, AC is entering his annual purple patch i.e. one game closer to being out with his next injury.

I quite like the Antonio - Carroll - Feghouli front three and I'm really hopeful that Lanzini will now start to come into his own. For a lightweight, short-arse he can really ****ing shift and his balance is unreal: if we can keep him for the rest of his career, he'll end up as our best ever overseas player. I really think he's that good.

I was pretty disappointed with Noble for the first hour but, then he woke up and remembered he was a professional footballer and played well for the last thirty. Didn't think that Obiang had one of his better games either: he wasn't bad but, he could have released the ball a lot quicker on several occasions.

At the back, thank f*** we've finally got a right back playing right back. In truth, I think that Byram's a walking red card but, if they can coach that out of his game, he could be a decent player. (Sadly, I think they won't and we can't rely on a bloke who's gonna get suspended a couple of times a season). Ogbonna doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence and I think the Cresswell - Reid - Ginge - Byram back four is the best we can do at the moment. Assuming that Burke and Oxford are nearly ready for prime time ..... we still need a ****ing right back!
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

We've needed a ****ing right back since the Neolithic period.
Le Rascal de Boleyn
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Le Rascal de Boleyn »

Haven't had a chance to catch the game or read back through the thread yet. Did Big Sam get a decent reception?
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

He was completely ignored. Best that way.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Le Rascal de Boleyn wrote:Haven't had a chance to catch the game or read back through the thread yet. Did Big Sam get a decent reception?
Ambivalent.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I don't think today was a case of not having he who shall not be named. 1st half we were pretty poor - better than we have been in some games this season, but still not great. The 2nd half was a completely different proposition though, and this to me was mainly down to having a proper right back (not that I think Byram is the answer). It freed Antonio/Lanzini/Feghouli allowing the defenders to defend, with support from Noble and Obiang.

Carroll was superb all over the pitch yet again, and the goal I am still in disbelief.

Great win, great atmosphere, but let's be honest as Palace were shocking and we need to follow it up in future matches.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote:Byram somewhat written off by some but looked really good.

Chuffed for Feghouli who has been written off by many.
This!!!

A lot knew Feg had a player in there somewhere
SussexExile

Post by SussexExile »

Clucking Bell wrote:Didn't think that Obiang had one of his better games either: he wasn't bad but, he could have released the ball a lot quicker on several occasions.
Funny, we all thought he was MOTM. Thought he was superb today
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

aaronhammer wrote:I don't think today was a case of not having he who shall not be named. 1st half we were pretty poor - better than we have been in some games this season, but still not great. The 2nd half was a completely different proposition though, and this to me was mainly down to having a proper right back (not that I think Byram is the answer). It freed Antonio/Lanzini/Feghouli allowing the defenders to defend, with support from Noble and Obiang.

Carroll was superb all over the pitch yet again, and the goal I am still in disbelief.

Great win, great atmosphere, but let's be honest as Palace were shocking and we need to follow it up in future matches.
I've watched the game again and I reckon Bilic was surprised at just how negative Palace were, the first half we were bang average but then we were focused on not conceding ... once Bilic realised Palace were about as threatening as a duck's fart he pushed players forward and we looked a different side ...

Sure Palace are poor but then so were Watford, West Brom and Southampton and we fell apart ... you need to beat the weaker sides and today we did that well ... you could almost feel the confidence growing around the ground ...

Same next week then bring on one of the top six ... that will be a true test of the post 'he who shall not be named' era ..
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Pretty dire first half but then it was always going to be cagey.
Three great goals in the second and it was just what we needed after the Citeh result and the Payet affair.
Fantastic goal by Big Andy who looks very fit and worked his socks off. Compare his work rate to Benteke's and there is no comparison.
Antonio rose from his sickbed to give a real gutsy performance with 3 assists and Lanzini was just tremendous capping his performance with a lovely goal.
Well done to Slaven and the boys for coming out of a very difficult week and giving a performance they can all be extremely proud of.
Onwards and upwards. No one player is bigger the our club and we proved that today.
Chuffed. :crest:
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

I couldn't work out what Hennessey's 'attempt' to save the second reminded me of, and then it came to me.
It was the spitting image of the despairing dive the keepers would make in Fifa 96 :D
Gep

Post by Gep »

Said for a while we should be switching to a simple 4-4-2. Amazed how balanced we looked. Think I could cry.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

smuts wrote:Carroll's goal from multiple angles :scarfer:

Commentator called it Payetesque. As if that sulky lazy git could get his arse that high off the ground...
Just watched the highlights - when AC's goal went in, the collective relief of the crowd celebrating was pretty intense - lancing the Payet shaped boil that has festered and grown over the last week.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

You know it's been a good day when you're happy to do the morning shift with your 2 year old so you can catch MOTD for a second time.

Sam calls all 3 goals 'gifts'?!?
Last edited by wigwig on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

DrVenk wrote:1st half - Slav wanted to play a controlled, possession based game with 3 CBs. It didn't work at all. Disjointed and no fluency in our play.

2nd half - 4-4-2 and we went to a direct game with Andy dropping deep. It worked a treat. Feghouli looked very good in his natural position; Carroll was causing them all sorts of problems playing in the hole; Antonio was freed up from defensive duties with great effect; Obiang, throughout, calm, composed, and skillful; Noble was MUCH better second half - through ball for Antonio for Feg's goal, and a beautiful outside of the right foot flick to Feghouli. I should also add Collins made a few exceptional blocks.
Good summary Dr V , glad someone else appreciated that Noble flick .Exquisite bit of skill .

Carroll's goal would be a strong contender for goal of the season but the highlight of the day was the rock solid support for the Manager .More than anyone he has a right to feel let down by our No.27 , his other players though did him proud in a sparkling 2nd half .
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

byram reid collins cresswell, by far our best back 4 , square pegs, square holes and all that
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Been said before many times but we looked better when going to 4 at the back. However we do need the right back as Byram is naive at best sometimes. He also picks up too many bookings and will get a red soon with all the awful refs out there.
Cresswell better than recent games but still not back to his best.
Collins - effort and some good blocks by ginge
Reid - another good display by the kiwi warrior
Feg played well
Obiang did what he does very well.
Noble continues to blow hot and cold some good bits and some bad bits due to lack of pace.
Antonio - great performance from Iron man Mike !
Lanzini - great performance from the jewel. For a small fella got stuck in doing the dirty work as well as the skilful stuff. That finish was great but overshadowed by the wonder goal.
Carroll - great performance and goal of the season. Good to hear MOTD say it was better than shreks last season.

So we have scored the two best goals this season by AC and snake !

Onto Boro and 3 pts before city.