West Ham Utd 0-4 Man City (01/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Man City: match thread

Post by Gerblatz »

The FACUP game was what the acronym suggests...the turning point that exposed Payet for the mercenary little **** bag he is and the catalyst for us to get our season back on track. Let's be honest, it was an embarrassing belly up giveaway.

That's history now and our team has been filled with renewed vigour...as have us fans. This will no doubt be a tough game with the players they have, but with a rocking atmosphere and a West Ham team ready to rip into them; Guardiola and his pooches are gonna get a very different game.

If we lose, we lose fighting, but I fancy we will nick this 2-1 :crest:
SIM only Zsa Zsa

Post by SIM only Zsa Zsa »

Can't see us winning if I'm honest. They badly need a win.

Would gleefully take a draw now.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we have a chance as this is a new west ham team. However I would take the draw now.
Need to keep tight in midfield and also support AC. Do this and we can do them. We owe them for sure.

Randy
Byram Reid fonte cresswell
Fegouli obiang fernandes/noble lanzini
Antonio Carroll

2-1 hammers. Pep to blame the "hostile" crowd for unsettling his players.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The players will want to show they're better than the last game against them, and they'll want to show that they don't need Payet and are better off without him.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Make some noise and get the boys going from the first whistle!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We certainly need to be at the very top of our game , we also need a fair and honest Referee who hasn't been given a ' gift ' from the Sheikh .
harryhammer66

Post by harryhammer66 »

We have been murdered at home this season against good footballing teams. I think this is a massive game for us to try and work out what is the best approach to take against them at home. I think we need to treat this as an away game. Keep it tight so we are not 2 or 3 down by half time and look to counter attack them with Antonio and Feghouli on the break. With Kouyate missing I'd put Oxford in a CDM role as he has the legs and ability to match them and he has proved he can do it against Arsenal at the start of last season.

Where possible we need to lump it up to AC and get shots off to ask questions of Bravo. This will be a tough game but they are definitely beatable and i have faith.

Randolph
Byram - Fonte - Reid - Cresswell
Obiang - Oxford
Feghouli - Lanzini - Antonio
Carroll
seaside hammer

Post by seaside hammer »

Its is ironic given our best player Payet's immaturity has prompted us to play the best we have played all season and really brought the squad together, I mean we actually have a decent balanced team now. We all know there is room for improvement but its going in the right direction.

This will be a tough, tough game but City can be got at if we stop them playing basically. We can not play them end of. If we stand off, it will be another smashing. I know it wont be easy but by pressing them and making it incredibly uncomfortable I believe the longer the game will go on the more chance we have of nicking it especially with Bravo in goal. I am gonna go for 1-0 WH with a late, late winner from AC.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

We need to revert to a siege mentality for this one. Simple, fast and direct counter attacking.

Three centrehalves, two wingbacks and three midfielders sitting tight. One of them Lanzini, who can attack.

Carroll and Antonio to work the long balls. Set pieces key.

:scarfer:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I find it no coincidence whatsoever that the clubs we have done well against are largely those below us whilst we have got very little from the top six. Also that those teams always seem to be rewarded decisions against the "lesser" teams - ie anyone from 7th downwards. I don't expect anything from the city match for that reason alone. A typical example yesterday was Arsenal's penalty v Burnley when it was offside in the first place.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Fully expecting another pounding here with wins against Southampton and West Brom to follow.

3-1 Loss.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

The difference between the FA Cup game and this one will be their keeper.

For some strange reason they play a clown in goal for their league games.
traxop

Post by traxop »

No 4-4-2 for the game please, else City will be in for another buffet.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

Think this will be a 2-2 draw, unfortunately with us actually taking the lead and them getting a late late goal.

Happily take a point from this, but hopefully not in this fashion.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Unfortunately, our pitch does us no favours in games against teams like these and Arsenal

Too much space for quality players to operate. The likes of Aguero, Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne will largely fancy being able to have a field day again
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Nesticles wrote:Unfortunately, our pitch does us no favours in games against teams like these and Arsenal

Too much space for quality players to operate. The likes of Aguero, Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne will largely fancy being able to have a field day again
In a sense, but we actually started well against City in the FA Cup, and we were unlucky with the penalty decision. We lost our discipline as soon as we went 1-0 down and were running around like headless chickens all over the pitch trying to needlessly press one of the best technical sides in Europe.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

every time i have seen us play against this mob they have the ability to just pass and walk through us at will

we need to close the gaps and clatter them in every challenge

i would be more than happy with a draw
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

They seemed to love the size of our pitch and knocked it around us like we weren't there. Expecting a loss in this.

Would snap your hand off for a draw.
discopiglet
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by discopiglet »

IF we get Hogan in I would like to see the same formation against Boro but with Feg dropped and Antonio playing on the right with Hogan playing off the shoulder with the big man!! Just go for it and snap at City for 90 mins!! They don't like it up em!! :crest:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Easy to forget, but we actually played ok in the first 30 mins against this lot before the spitroasting that followed. It's certainly possible for us to compete with them.