Southampton 1-3 West Ham Utd (04/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by OFT »

ryanrc wrote:Crept onto Saintsweb to sneak a peak at the OV and they're pretty much unanimous in wanting Reed out, which I find bizarre.
Popped over there for a shuffti myself, the match and apres match threads are a joy to behold.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Any news on Carroll and Kouyate? Cheik definitely took a knock in the 1st half and was limping when he went off. Sure he would not have gone off if not injured. Don't know about Carroll but seemed odd to sub him at that time if not injured.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

ryanrc wrote:Crept onto Saintsweb to sneak a peak at the OV and they're pretty much unanimous in wanting Reed out, which I find bizarre.
ironsjh wrote:
According to them, they don't have a single decent midfielder, Forster is garbage and their going down. Talk about knee jerk. :D
We'll have him if they don't want him. Think he's a great keeper.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Carroll went and sat on the bench so think he is OK. I suspect Slav is nursing him through games.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Kialos wrote:Carroll went and sat on the bench so think he is OK. I suspect Slav is nursing him through games.
Long may it continue

He has 5 goals in 6 games since Xmas that's outstanding

Over the season he has 6 in 12 so that's a 1 every 2 game striker

Top stuff
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Great day, brilliant atmosphere, even saw some tits, can't complain. COYI's
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

People question what feguili(sp) brings to our team but they delivery he whipped in for carroll to head just over was outstanding
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

What a ****ing away day that was, as I don't go to too many it was definitely up there with my best. Had to love Mr Big Tits in the Soton end. Brilliant atmosphere in our end. Made a nice change to last year battling the 50mph wind and driving rain to watch us lose 1-0 on a Monday night! :scarfer:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Longaz wrote:Great day, brilliant atmosphere, even saw some tits, can't complain. COYI's
Care to elaborate? :D
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

What a fine pair of bristols they were! :D
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I liked the bit where we won most of all.
TheCoyote

Post by TheCoyote »

I thought both Feghouli and Snodgrass were great myself. They both worked hard, both got on the ball alot and while they were not consistent in possession they did enough good things to worry the oppositon alot.

Give me a Feghouli performance over one of Payets prima donna ballet performances of the last 3 months anyday of the week please
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Gabbiadini is no Carroll is he? Most of the time I f* king love West Ham and for all he's injuries I love the big man :scarfer:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1916 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Not long in. Was on my Jack, but had a very sociable day - hic!

I again recommend Hornchurch coaches for looking after people.

Yates played what has become a West Ham song list - Sweet Caroline, Twist and Shout, Town Called Malice, Ain't Nobody, Gold, Don't You Want Me Baby. I bet Paul Weller would like to know that his social realism angst makes a good piss up soundtrack.

Met loads of people I know in the ground and a couple of others I didn't to pass on spares. I've said it before, but the unseen brilliance of this site is the way it helps fans get in touch with each other. Everyone seems brilliant, then you read their posts and think 'what a ****' :wink:

The fans seemed up for this one and we all had a grand old time. Snodgrass and Fonte look like good fits and Kouyate can add RB to his growing list of possible positions. Carroll is in an unplayable phase and Noble, for all the criticism on here, continues to lead from the front. Randolph was my MOTM though - they had a bundle of chances and he was busy throughout.

I've not seen as many of our disabled fans on my travels this season as I did today. It's a tight little crowd. One or two in wheelchairs make nearly every game and it's a real ask of them and their carers. I have been proud to come to know them a bit.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

An excellent win following that epic **** up against Man City.
Pedro Obiang is such a brilliant find for us. We all knew he was a talented player, but he truly is the natural successor to Mark Noble. What a show of his talents and his imprint on this team for the future.
Andy Carroll must be in real consideration for the next England team. When he's fit and ready, he's an absolute 'mare for any defence. The finish with the right foot was as composed and natural as you could expect.
I liked what I saw from Robert Snodgrass. He's a lot more energetic than I expected, made a good few runs down the flanks and tried to press when at all possible. I can him linking well with Lanzini and making things happen. He will be a good player for us, despite myself preferring the likes of Siggurdson from Swansea.
Jose Fonte and Winston Reid will only progress and improve. Feghouli and Antonio will continue to be a nuisance on the flanks.
In 9th place, and look solid. Yes I think a RB was needed but we certainly won't be relegated and that's all I care about following our dreadful start. A top half finish is expected and figure the RB/ST issues out in the summer. :crest:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Rollercoaster! Great away day for the travelling support.

There seemed a sense of something different from before the word go. Everyone was up for it. Proper football ground, proper support, even a proper 4-4-2!

Snoddy took a while to get into the game, but worked his socks off and had a fine debut. At long last we should a get a decent supply into Carroll. Unsung I’d say, but Noble worked extremely hard too and was most everywhere.

Feghouli is good and bad – mostly bad! Another Jarvis methinks (similar waddle-duck running style too).

FWIW I thought we took Carroll off a bit too early and had little shape once 3-1 up. Retreating Antonio back left us with no one upfront, but we remained tight and they didn’t really threaten too much. We left it late before balancing it up with Calleri (who showed some decent touches) but it was all done and dusted by then and securing the result was obviously the priority.

Overall, a great team performance and a great day out for my family.

Only West Ham. :crest:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Played well against a team at our level and beat them. This season the gap between the top 6 and the rest is pretty big. Top 6 team playing near their best form are very difficult to handle and City were very good on Wednesday.

Noble looked more like his usual self. Thought Snodgrass was excellent real worker and AC took his goal really well.

The radio this evening was on about how many teams this year were better away because teams are so adept at the counter attack, I wonder if we fall into that category? We looked ok at Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, City second half and to a degree Chelsea yet you fear playing them at home when the onus is to attack and the gaps that can leave.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Good result against a fellow 7-17 team ... highlights the gulf between us and the top six after last week ... we look so much more a team without that French tart .... COYI
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

It is crazy the difference in atmosphere home and away. Home games feel like you're going through the motions whereas always there is the buzz that everyone there is of the same mindset.

The last 2 home games there have been 2 different sets of day trippers more interested in chatting about their mundane jobs than actually concentrating on the game, while I'm effing and blinding at the ref/players etc. No chance of that at an away game.

If anything the monotony of the home games has given me much more of a buzz for the aways than before.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Great afternoon yesterday! Proper away win. AC's finish delightful, Obiang getting the goal he deserved and finally getting an away win down there. Snodgrass really impressed me as well. A real pest to play against. Let's just hope we continue the job against West Brom.

That followed by watching England beat France made for a delightful afternoon. Now to nurse the hangover!