Southampton 1-3 West Ham Utd (04/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Romford wrote:
Yates are always funny after the game for us...i think some of the young lot went potty a few years back
Yea, normally good fun before the game, but it was a bit riotous a couple of years ago.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I know he's only played a small cameo but I've seen a lot of him for previous clubs, and I would say that Snodgrass has to start. I fully believe he's going to go on to be the most creative attacking player we have, and the hardest working attacking player we have. With that formation you have Carroll and Antonio up front, and a player behind who's yet to assist a goal this season. For quality balls into the box, you're going to be completely reliant on two out of form full-backs - one of which I've seen little evidence that he can actually cross the ball. If we're going to go for it with two strikers, we're better off with a 4-4-2
Didn't Lanzini get two assists against Boro? Corner for Carroll and pass to Calleri? Appreciate they are not exactly major creative assists.

I'd like to incorporate Snodgrass, admittedly - my inclination would be that if we go 4-4-2 we drop Lanzini and play Feghouli on the right, Snodgrass on the left. But I think Lanzini has to be in the team - sometimes he looks like the only player thinking ahead of the game.

Tricky - we have so much talent in the front four positions (AM/RW/LW/CF) but hardly any real options in the back six other than our usual. I still like the idea of dropping Lanzini into the two (possibly in place of Noble?) as a Modric-style playmaker. Then have a three of Snodgrass, Antonio and Feghouli behind Carroll.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

A big game tomorrow saints love turning us over and seem to make a habit of getting good results against us hope we turn up with the right mindset tomorrow or I fear the worse"Come on you irons" :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I hope to God we turn up tomorrow otherwise this place ain't gonna be for the feint hearted
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Byram a doubt with a hamstring complaint :lol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote:Didn't Lanzini get two assists against Boro? Corner for Carroll and pass to Calleri? Appreciate they are not exactly major creative assists.

I'd like to incorporate Snodgrass, admittedly - my inclination would be that if we go 4-4-2 we drop Lanzini and play Feghouli on the right, Snodgrass on the left. But I think Lanzini has to be in the team - sometimes he looks like the only player thinking ahead of the game.

Tricky - we have so much talent in the front four positions (AM/RW/LW/CF) but hardly any real options in the back six other than our usual. I still like the idea of dropping Lanzini into the two (possibly in place of Noble?) as a Modric-style playmaker. Then have a three of Snodgrass, Antonio and Feghouli behind Carroll.
Yeah, I forgot about the boro match. Probably because I spent the hour and a half cursing due to my broadband line playing up! There's no reason why Lanzini can't play wide - he's done a decent job there before, both on the left and the right. I just think he's a bit of a mismatch with Carroll really when he plays centrally. Lanzini likes to play snappy passes around the edge of the box. He's not the type that's going to plant a ball on Carrolls head. If Carroll plays, you need somebody giving him the right supply. I think it would be foolish putting the best player for doing this on the bench. If we'd have had a player such as Defoe, Bacca, or Lacazette up front, I'm sure Lanzini would suddenly start assisting more.

----------------Randolph
Byram-----Fonte---Reid---Masuaku
------------Obiang---Kouyate
Lanzini-------------------------Snogdrass
------------Antonio---Carroll

Should cause plenty of problems with their best defender out.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

We're not gonna bother with the pubs in Soton pre-game tomorrow, gonna drink in Bournemouth for a couple of hours then get a train about 13 20 up to Soton.

Hard to predict what to expect from the game; Saints resemble us insomuch as you never know quite what team will turn up. That said we should be encouraged by their overall recent poor form, and missing Van Dijk after letting Fonte go should be an obvious flag to us to get those crosses into AC and Antonio as often as possible.

Forecast is for 'sunshine and showers', which going by every single time I've been there or to The Dell before, means it'll be sunny between exactly 3pm and 4 50pm, with it binning it down the whole time either side of that...

See you there.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Kouyate straight back into the team, Saints are going to look to counter with the likes of Redmond and Long I suspect. Although weaker at the back they still have some real quality in their team and it's whoever turns up takes the win for me, as we are pretty similarly matched. I really want to play Adrian again as he is the better keeper imo, anyone notice how slow Randolph is with the ball? Don't think I've ever seen him do a quick throw out and he holds onto the ball for ages even when we're losing, it pisses me off ha.

----------------------Adrian
Byram-------Fonte-----Reid-----Cresswell
---------------Kouyate---Obiang
Snodgrass--------Lanzini-------Antonio
---------------------Carroll
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

i expect a positive reaction for this and would take a draw, but these are more than beatable. 1-2 :crest:
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

I just hope they turn up for this one. it's like a toss of a coin for every match this season, is that the players, coaching staff, **** owners or what.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

They've lost Fonte and Van Dijk. Carroll is going to have a field day. I wanna see Snoddy and Antonio start on the wings and get some crosses in for him.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

If they target our fullbacks, and they take the chances that will fall their way, we'll get well beaten.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We're gonna smash them 5-0
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

MooresTheHero wrote:I just hope they turn up for this one. it's like a toss of a coin for every match this season, is that the players, coaching staff, **** owners or what.
Normal service is resumed then. COYI !!
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

Aceface wrote:I still like the idea of Kouyate as a wing back or - at a push - a short-term right back. Defensively capable, good legs up and down the touchline, bit o' height.

Sue me.
I've heard a lot worse ideas than that.
FrostyLemon

Post by FrostyLemon »

Going to this one tomorrow, got a bad feeling about the game...
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

hammers92 wrote:We're gonna smash them 5-0
You are Bubbles the mascot in the matchday programme predictions and I claim my £5.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Feeling optimistic about this one, probably for some delusional reason. But we seem to bounce back well from heavy defeats though, Southampton aren't City and if Koyoute comes back it will definitely strengthen the midfield. And we aren't playing at the OS which has been a terrible place to play all season, unlike the souless bowl we'll have solid backing from 3k travelling support. Feeling up for this now! COYI
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

The Claret and blue army is stirring and ready for the invasion. Cry god for Bobby, East London and St.Trevor!
Let's give them hell today!!!!! :scarfer:

Sent from my iPad sitting on the bog, Billericay.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

No doubt southampton were represented at the city match and any decent coach will know our fullbacks are a mess and noble is too slow to do anything.

They will target byram and cresswell and in Redmond have the ideal player to do so.

Kouyate in for noble is a no brainer but will slav do this to his captain?

Time for adrian to return. Randy is good but adrian is the better goalkeeper. He made mistakes early this season but we were even worse then than now. With Reid and fonte in front it should help him

Adrian
Byram Reid Fonte cresswell
Antonio obiang kouyate lanzini snodgras
Carroll

Antonio and snodgrass to protect fullbacks as much as possible.

If we had cover at RB I would give byram a rest as he is feeling his hamstring and was awful on weds.

Why does slav tell everyone that one of our fullbacks has a hamstring issue. I wonder who soton will target now ?

Keep it tight (not the hamstring) and respect the point !

1-1