West Ham Utd 2-2 West Bromwich Albion (11/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by steps »

Feghouli was getting lots of abuse from the seats directly behind me. Was quite amusing when he scored and the abuse turned into reluctant praise. I'll never understand why our fans get on their own players' backs, especially when they're trying.

Haven't seen any replays yet and not really sure of the consensus of this thread, but his first goal looked perfectly legit to me. From where I was (other end, admitadly) it looked like the keeper clattered his own player and played him onside, all though I'm sure someone on here will tell me I'm wrong.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

We always have to have that pantomime villian and with Ogbonna out Feghouli is next in line
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I agree with TTS, for the first time this season I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s game, perhaps due to the best all round team performance, at least at home. Disappointing not to get the 3 points we deserved, but I came away happy nonetheless. I thought Lanzini and Obiang had excellent games and indeed Noble was much more positive than of late. Fegouhli’s best game as well.

Obviously something not quite right with Creswell, hopefully nothing long term.

Once again we proved that we have goals in the team with or without a recognised striker which is why I don’t get too hung up on not signing a £40m 20+ goal a season striker. An ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play is as or even more important; as Antonio’s first half performance demonstrated (by not doing that). Switching Calleri in second half to occupy WBA Centre Half’s enabled Antonio to be more effective in a role that suits his abilities. For once I could sort of understand Bilic’s tactics.

I also agree with Romford that their number 2 looked useful. Big lump though.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Also lots of West Brom fans walking down Carpenters Road goading WHU fans and not a copper in sight after the game, not sure if they got what they were looking for as they got further up towards the Builder's, knowing our lot though they probably did.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Romford wrote:We should buy their right back in the Summer
Agreed. Very tasty. :wink:
Jayhammer

Post by Jayhammer »

Though we did ok yesterday, but we lacked game management at the end. We had a throw in the far corner, what do we do rush to take it, give the ball away they come down and score. Be professional kick the ball away take a booking for time wasting and keep the ball!! Do you think that if it was round the other way that is not what they would have done? I would like to see a stat to say how many times we give the ball away from a throw in, but I would bet it's bloody high!
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

I was at the game yesterday & generally thought the ref did ok, I've certainly seen worse performances from a ref at the London Stadium this season (Man United at home.)

I personally was really disappointed with the way we reacted to the corner in the last minute - It appeared that our players seemed to jog back and didn't really get themselves organised as well as they could have. I haven't seen the replay yet though.

Still a very good performance and another point closer to 40 - Lots of positives for 92 minutes.

For the disallowed goal, I noticed that the lino waved his flag in the air, then point. Am I correct in saying that this indicates that the lino flagged for a foul. If he points his flag straight up & then points it out then it's a flag for offside?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Before yesterday I would have taken a point.. even though feel a bit robbed

plenty of positives though.. two games in a row come back from 1-0 down to get something out the game

Fegholui showing he can be a very useful player for us

said few games ago wanted 9 points from the next few games (including watford) a win would have 10 points so come on lads let get it sorted..

aim for top 8 but be happy with any finish in the top 10
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jayhammer wrote:Though we did ok yesterday, but we lacked game management at the end. We had a throw in the far corner, what do we do rush to take it, give the ball away they come down and score. Be professional kick the ball away take a booking for time wasting and keep the ball!! Do you think that if it was round the other way that is not what they would have done? I would like to see a stat to say how many times we give the ball away from a throw in, but I would bet it's bloody high!
This was the only thing that annoyed me from yesterday. We worked so hard to get the lead and then had a very sloppy last five minutes. First of all Bilic made two substitutions that I don't think were needed and then we had the attacking throw on in front of eaSt stand and just gave it back to them. Very very sloppy play.

the one thing you don't want to do in ijury time, especially against a team like weSt brom is give away a corner. Do anything but that, even if it means letting them have the ball and allowin them to get crosses in. Both Antonio and Obiang made wrong decisions. Firstly, Antonio should have let the WBA player get the ball and simply closed him down instead , and then Obiang just needed to be goal side and shepherd the player. If he got a cross in, so be it, but better that than giving them a set piece where all the big men can come up. You can see Noble's annoyance when we gave them the corner. He knew.Then of course the marking and goal keeping was **** (like it had been on all of Brunt's deliveries).

The frustrating thing is that apart from Randolph, the goal wasn't really down to individual errors as such, more just sloppy, panic ridden play and bad decision making. A real shame given what had gone before
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

Throw in which led to corner from which they scored was taken about 20yds from where ball went out.

Ridiculous
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

How many shots did they have all game - three?

Some great attacking play from us, we really knocked it around well and it's promising we played so well minus Carroll against a decent team with a solid defence.

It continues to worry how fragile we look at the back. The Allardyce days really are over, eh?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Nyom should have been picked up in the summer. £3m and he was excellent at Watford last year.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Q. What is a pullis?
A. A boil on the arse of football.

I thought we were superb in the 2nd half and poor officiating lead to the result. Too late now to do anything about that but surely it is time for retrospective reviews of the officials' performances. After all, a panel will sit to pass judgement on non-awarded reds so why not award red and yellows to the officials for terrible decisions?

Keepers: I will always prefer a tall one to a less than tall one so for me if fit Adrian should start every game. I cannot see how they would have scored their 2nd had he been in goal.

Was Pullis telling Slav to cool it when they had a quiet chat in their boxes? He certainly lost it with Oliver at times. A half blind lip reader could see what he was calling him, and it wasn't a clucking bat!

Long break now so I hope the guys enjoy their trip to the sun and that AC comes back fit and raring to go... Andy/Darren...stay out of the pubs, guys!
Last edited by Upton Carp on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

HHCD wrote:Throw in which led to corner from which they scored was taken about 20yds from where ball went out.

Ridiculous
It's something we did all the time under Big Sam - It's down to the refs & linos to pull it back but they never do.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

We played some good stuff. The post-Payet team is looking in quite good shape.

But also, not much wrong with those refereeing decisions, in my view. Not sure why Bilic is so steamed up after a decent point.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

libero wrote:We know that AC is an absolute joke fitness wise and that our medical/fitness team is the very worst - but the Ayew situation is a total joke and an example of pure ineptitude.

All over Europe AFCON players are back playing for their clubs but only West Ham are so disastrous that we can't even get him on the bloody bench.

Have we injured him since he came back? Has he gone missin? Did we really pay 20m for a joke of a crock we can't even keep fit for 10 minutes? Why don't we swap our cretinous "fitness" team for Ghana's - at leastthey know what they are doing

Fitness situation crippling the club yet again
:thup: spot on Dave
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Humbug wrote:I despise Pulis. Such an insincere man with all his pretend smiles and tributes, hiding a nasty foul personality.
:lol: made me laugh
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: West Bromwich Albion
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=131010
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Did anyone see the old boy in the blue jacket lose the plot in 138 yesterday, so ****ing funny.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Jordan Ayew on the bench for Swansea! I would have thought the management had sussed all this pandering to players does not work - I bet our Ayew will be fit and ready for the Dubai "jolly"- That has never worked has it? I seem to remember always losing after that jaunt.We would be better off trying to get all the "round pegs" fitting in the "square holes",imo.