West Ham Utd 2-2 West Bromwich Albion (11/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by Turns to Stone »

Great game. This was what I want from my West Ham teams. Going at the opposition and trying to win the game. We actually do need games like this for this ground to begin to feel like home again. Under Bilic, the players earned our support every week at The Boleyn, but they haven't done it enough since the move, yesrpterday they did.

A few observations. Fonte looks like a very calming influence on Reid and looked solid again,

Kouyate is sadly not a right-back and we still haven't got one worthy of the name.

Feghouli is trying and there is a player in there. With everyone fit I don't think he makes the team but he's an excellent squad player.

Antonio is fantastic, but really does have a shocking touch. I can see why Bilic prefers him at wing-back.

Bringing Calleri on I hit e secodpnd half was like playing with 10 men. He may well become a quality player one day, But right now he gives us very little.

Fantastic passion and heart from all the players and staff. I don't care much for the board, but these players and managers are desperate for West Ham Utd to do well. And that is a very good sign.

There were 5 marginal decisions to be made today. We didn't get a single one of them. Disappointing.

Great game though!

:crest:
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

I missed the foul on Antonio, must have been the couple of minutes I was grabbing a beer, poor organisational skills I know, I would like to see the incident but it's not available anywhere, I'm sure there must be a replay of it somewhere, just a short gif would be sufficient, any one of you technically minded lot able to post a link?
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

davids cross wrote:
Biggest plus was how we responded to going behind. Thought we might wilt a bit, if not a lot, we didn't. They gathered themselves and got over the early goal.
Agreed, although in part that is due to the typical Pulis tactics of setting out to defend an early lead, which gave us a chance to regain our composure. As we saw with Man City, they really went for the jugular and we did wilt so it was game over early doors.

I was watching Callieri at times off the ball and he just seemed to be ambling into a general attacking position and not watching the play even though we were on the attack, although his presence did seem to make a difference overall, so I'm not sure what to make of him.

However I enjoyed the game overall and it was a decent performance, and was disappointed not to get one over a typical Pulis tactics time wasting performance, after a very similar game a few seasons ago against Stoke at The Boleyn when they went 1 up after a few minutes and time wasted until we got two goals back, but held on that time.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

southendmadhammer wrote:Feghouli reminds me so much of a ***** Matt Jarvis. His awareness and decision making are so so poor.
Seemed pretty aware of what was going on when the ball came back to him to score. :?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

great game and great atmosphere. Who says the stadium cant generate this !
disappointing to lose a goal in 94th min but collins and our defence at fault yet again.

Time to move on we didnt lose but our chances of higher than 9th have gone and with it europa league next season.

Need to continue to put the effort in and break 50 pts barrier.

Next season as always we need a new RB and striker.
ludo22
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Thought we played pretty well yesterday but sorely lacking a quality CF.Lanzini is visibly growing as a player and could seriously be the real deal if he continues to progress.I love the way he plays "head up" not unlike Gazza.He also has a very decent burst of pace.Not impressed with the ref but **** happens.If we can just make the RIGHT buys,we will be a very decent team who play the right way which is all I want from a West Ham team.I am undecided about Feg-I think he could easily be very good or very bad and time will tell but definitely worth persevering with.I am also coming to the conclusion that Randolph isn't quite good enough.Decent keeper but too many weak areas.Generally,we are not that far from being pretty good. :crest:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Feghouli played as well as anyone yesterday. He didnt play so well the match before, i get that, and maybe he didnt play so well in the first half yesterday - but not many did. He was very good in the second half. Better than Antonio.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Feg was batter than antonio yesterday because he played as a RW. Would rather have antonio in that position.

Randy needs to be benched give adrian a go now.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Once again we seem to loose out with officials, do they ever have to account for their performances and decisions? simply not good enough. We need to bring through a good striker for matches Carroll is injured, Calleri is not good enough, of course we were told we did not need a striker? time also for Adrian to be given a game, felt this for a week or two and yesterday came clearer.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

We should buy their right back in the Summer
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Good player is Nyom. Surprised Watford let him go in the summer. I doubt many of our fans woukd have been enthused with his signing though. Not high profile enough for some
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

anyone saying feghouli had a bad game needs to hand over their season ticket. would've had two goals and one assist if you include the disallowed goal. lanzini would've had two assists and one goal.

they're the two players who seem to benefit most from the bigger pitch.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Romford wrote:We should buy a right back in the Summer
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Great afternoon of entertainment but when can we have a game where the officials do their job properly. It's getting boring now. Nice to see West Brom bring some away fans for once and to see a last gasp goal might tempt them to travel more.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by Rio »

Feghouli's proving to be a very good squad acquisition. He's benefitting from a run in the side. I like the way he follows up virtually every shot one of our players makes. It's paid dividends.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Tough result to take but our own fault really, however, really proud of the lads and we have finally got out mojo back. Playing really well and with confidence, passing well and creating things, massive praise to Slav for turning that around. The defending is worrying but hey ho.

I absolutely love the geezer, my favourite hammer, but I think it's time to drop Antonio for a couple of games, he seems to have lost a bit of hunger to me, or is just a bit exhausted, either way.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Rio wrote:Feghouli's proving to be a very good squad acquisition. He's benefitting from a run in the side. I like the way he follows up virtually every shot one of our players makes. It's paid dividends.

The timing of his runs into the box are surely his best asset? Nobby'esque
WeveGotPayet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by WeveGotPayet »

Laughable some people are questioning Antonio's hunger or effort. Probably his best asset..
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Rio wrote:Feghouli's proving to be a very good squad acquisition. He's benefitting from a run in the side. I like the way he follows up virtually every shot one of our players makes. It's paid dividends.
Also put in some decent crosses and has a decent work rate

Can imagine Nordveidt having a similar effort given half the chance in his favoured position

Great effort from the team yesterday. 9 times out of 10 you put that performance in and you win against that kind of opposition
traxop

Post by traxop »

ryanrc wrote: The timing of his runs into the box are surely his best asset? Nobby'esque
I think Feghouli's best asset is his linkup play. We've seen his crossing ability, but today he showed awareness that there wasn't really a target to cross to and instead choose to cut it back to Snodgrass at the edge of the box after getting to the byline(shame that Snodgrass wasn't able to create a yard of space to pull the trigger).

I also don't think we appreciate how good that pass to Lanzini was. It traveled a fair distance, nicely weighted, skimmed the floor once before reaching it's target. It was a ball that Lanzini could work with, he didn't have to fight to control the pass.