West Ham Utd 2-2 West Bromwich Albion (11/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Adam 'The Smudge'

Re: West Ham Utd vs West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Similar sides in terms of mobility or rather lack of. Neither side relish a big pitch so this game will be won by the side who makes less mistakes or by the chancer.
Bilic is certainly a chancer and as we have no further injury concerns, this is not a bad fixture for us.
1-0. Antonio.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Pulis setting them up to niggle and Nick a goal from a corner. Still haven't forgotten how much he won Stoke a penalty in the cup by getting on the ref's case. 'Orrible bloke.

We always seem to draw home games with them so...

1-0 WBA

Last season I seem to recall they were delighted they'd sold 1,000 tickets for the Boleyn.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

WBA are doing well and will have 3k following them. This will be a test for us as they are well organised and in Rondon have a good CF.

That said we are in form excluding city match so difficultto call.

Going for a hard fought 2-0 CARROLL and ANTONIO

COYI
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

johnnyb wrote:Bring back Brian Dear for this.
is it Easter already?
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Show our lot the video of the 4 - 2 reverse and lets smash 'em. Like most (all) I find Pulis incredibly annoying.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Haven't had a draw for a while. So I'm going for 1-1. It won't be pretty. But better than a loss I suppose...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

coyi27 wrote:Noble - Obiang - Kouyate midfield has been tried before and its never worked
Liverpool 0-3
coyi27 wrote:Ha. Fair enough but you know what I mean. It's one thing playing Liverpool away and another forcing your game on the opponents.
I am not so sure we need to force ourselves on our opponents from the off and leave ourselves wide open in games. It is not helping us.

Start with a solid formation and XI then throw attacking options at the game as needed. Watford is a prime example, we came flying out of the traps but as soon as they worked out they could just walk through the middle of us we haemorrhaged goals. Antonio, Lanzini, Payet and Zaza were totally cut out of the game and Kouayte and Noble got totally overrun.

Had we started with a solid side and kept it tight for the first hour before finishing the game in the kind of style we started it... it may well have been a different outcome (easy with hind sight I know).

We are in a fortunate position where we do have quality that we can throw at a game if it is needed. There is no need to try and shoehorn all of your top players into your first XI though.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Would rather this was away.

I think with this big pitch we need 3 centre midfielders.

Randolph
Byram, Fonte, Reid, Cresswell
Obiang, Kouyate,
Antonio, Lanzini, Snodgrass
Carroll
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Sutts - I don't think the fans would take it being cautious at home to WBA. If we want to progress we have to take it to such teams. They have very poor possession stats so we need to try and do to them what Spurs did to them last week. Take the upper hand from minute one.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Just looking at the Spurs v WBA match. Spurs played 3-4-2-1 and completely dominated the match from start to the finish. Rose and Walker absolutely killed them down the wings. Not a huge fan of 3 at the back, but against a team that is quiet narrow defensively I wonder if this is the best formation.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Pains me to say it, but we are not at the level Spurs are at. That was the one and only time WBA have been torn apart away this season. Pulis has them playing as a tight unit.

I understand the desire from home fans to go chasing a game from the off, Christ knows I gave Big Sam enough stick for being so negative, but you can still be attacking without weakening your belly or exposing yourself.

If I was picking the side I would be putting Noble Obiang and Kouyate in the middle first, then working the rest out around them. You can play a diamond, wing backs, three up top... loads of options. Just no point in making it hard for yourself by gifting cheap goals.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

They are the same level as us ie beatable. We should be going all guns blazing for a win in these games there is absolutely no point in being cautious in this game. We are not going down this year and we need to finish as high as possible to get some sort of buzz in our new dump of a ground.

It's against the top 6 we need to tighten up and try to ruin their day. That Chelsea game is looming and thats the one where a defensive masterplan is the order of the day not West Brom.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

If you have a Paddy Power betting account Feghouli is way overpriced at 17/1 first goalscorer.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Today I will be predicting the result through the prism of classic comedy.

West Ham (pictured right)...............W.B.A (far left)

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: S Bennett, M McDonough
Fourth official: K Stroud

This season: http://int.soccerway.com/referees/michael-oliver/60878/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

coyi27 wrote:If you have a Paddy Power betting account Feghouli is way overpriced at 17/1 first goalscorer.
Probably because there's every possibility he won't start. Snodgrass and Lanzini wide, Obiang and Noble central. Ayew's probably back too.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Porkeyes wrote:They are the same level as us ie beatable. We should be going all guns blazing for a win in these games there is absolutely no point in being cautious in this game. We are not going down this year and we need to finish as high as possible to get some sort of buzz in our new dump of a ground.

It's against the top 6 we need to tighten up and try to ruin their day. That Chelsea game is looming and thats the one where a defensive masterplan is the order of the day not West Brom.
i cant wait for it personally - especially if its like the cup game
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Probably because there's every possibility he won't start. .
Doesn't really matter, if a player hasn't come on by the time the first goal has been scored, the stakes will be refunded
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

coyi27 wrote:If you have a Paddy Power betting account Feghouli is way overpriced at 17/1 first goalscorer.
HammerMan2004 wrote:Probably because there's every possibility he won't start.
Or because he is f****** s***...?
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

It's a bookie mistake. 10/1 is the market price. You get your money back if he doesn't start and there is a goal.