Watford 1-1 West Ham Utd (25/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by 61dicksey »

Watching the sending off of Antonio again , I don't think the ref would have give it unless a posse of Watford players hassled Pawson.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

61dicksey wrote:Watching the sending off of Antonio again , I don't think the ref would have give it unless a posse of Watford players hassled Pawson.
Just seen it on MOTD and that's exactly what I thought.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

61dicksey wrote:Watching the sending off of Antonio again , I don't think the ref would have give it unless a posse of Watford players hassled Pawson.

Led by that little **** Cleverley.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

the pink palermo wrote:Two points dropped for me today , we did more than enough to win the game , but conceding the softest of penalties hurt us badly .

Fonte I thought was generally assured, Lanzini excellent in the second half and Obiang gave his usual decent showing .Noble had a good enough game but Snodgrass had one to forget .

That's 2 games without Carroll that we've drawn that we would surely have won had he played , four precious points dropped against sides we need to be finishing off , and we need to find some solution to this on-going issue .

No higher than 9th for my money now , but we're better to watch now than early season .Watford though were disappointing, lots of niggly fouls and poor gamesmanship throughout .

Our support gave a decent reception to Zarate and Behrami as well as the applause during play for Graham Taylor , classy stuff from our lads .
As is often the case with your posts I agree with all of it, definitely feels like two points dropped.

Still think to press the game more Slav needs to bring on Byram after an hour or so and shift Kouyate into midfield for a bit of energy, probably most times in place of Noble.

Lanzini was much better 2nd half but seemed to be playing more central than in the 1st half, i don't get why, with two natural wingers in Feghouli and Snodgrass, Slav starts Lanzini wide where he struggles to influence the game.

Great away support again, and hats off to the players that came over at the end and gave the kids their shirts.
Last edited by Iron George on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Regardless of that, it was a deliberate handball, and the ref got it spot on. he was a silly boy and shouldn't have done it.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote:
Regardless of that, it was a deliberate handball, and the ref got it spot on. he was a silly boy and shouldn't have done it.
Of that there is no doubt but, having just seen it, I've convinced myself he was going to let it go until the Watford 'Mob' formed a circle
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The ref wasn't going to give the penalty until Deeney asked, really weak officiating from him.

How on Earth did Niang stay on the pitch?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

The problem with Antonios sending off is the law that says he has too be booked for deliberate handball .
Once again the ref is not allowed to judge the severity of the offence,if the handball stops a dangerous attack then yes,if it was what Antonio done yesterday then no.
Refs are not allowed to ref sensibly.

Just checked the law and it says to receive a yellow card the player has to
commit a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack,I don't remember it being that.
Last edited by Oldun on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

the pink palermo wrote:Our support gave a decent reception to Zarate and Behrami as well as the applause during play for Graham Taylor , classy stuff from our lads .
Yes, that was great, and its what makes me proud to be part of the West Ham family.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I'm not getting this 'fair result' stuff.

Watford were appalling, I've seen us dominate a game away from home like that before.

All they did was sit back, dive and then hoof it anywhere. Very Allardyce.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

2 pts dropped for sure
antonio had to go watford mob or not.
penalty for us but for some reason not given
lanzini should be central not wide

great support and good to see the players coming over. nice singing of super slav.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I didn't think think our shout was a penalty to be honest. Seen them given for sure but not quite enough in it for me and up the other end I doubt there'd be a soul on here thinking it should be given

Ref had a good game imo.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:I didn't think think our shout was a penalty to be honest. Seen them given for sure but not quite enough in it for me and up the other end I doubt there'd be a soul on here thinking it should be given

Ref had a good game imo.
Our penalty shout was much stronger than their given penalty.

Niang had Kouyate by the throat and then by the waist. Arguably Antonio could have had one as well but he stayed on his feet.

Ref was poor. Niang got away with plenty of fouls on Kouyate whilst he was on a yellow, whilst the red card and penalty were correct calls they were only given because the Watford players asked.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Yea Why Not wrote: Ref had a good game imo.
Going out on a limb there YWN. I thought he had a shocker.

The foul on Kouyate was more of an obvious penalty than Kouyate's foul on Zarate. The bloke had his arm around his waist.

There were a few incidents on that right wing second half not given. I reckon Elton was buying that lino flowers.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

For me their man was in front and Kouyate had the first lean. Granted it wasn't clear cut either way but I certainly wouldn't have been happy if it was given against us

Theirs was definitely a penalty imo
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Zarate was clever with the contact whereas Kouyate goes down in appeal.

Kouyate fouled his player by accident and Niang did it on purpose. How one is a penalty and the other isn't is beyond me. I expect we'd have had more chance with the decisions at home.

It's just a shame we don't play at home anyone.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

The way I saw it the ref had a good game. He let the football flow. He got some decisions wrong and they went against us - a Homer, as such. The real issue is why do we NEVER get a Homer ref (and that includes both the OS and the Boleyn)?

I don't see the Kouyate penalty appeal as being given in most games BUT if Kouyate's accidental trip is given - surely the deliberate arm across the chest/shoulder/throat should be?

If a ref. is obviously bad I really do feel it and get completely irate. I didn't feel anything yesterday other than I was sure that we would equalise and go on to win. Antonio's red card put paid to that. On that subject, I saw a lot worse from unbooked Watford players than Antonio's first yellow. The sending off was the correct decision.
askimhammer

Post by askimhammer »

ludo22 wrote:If only Antonio had a brain he would be blinding but he was great today.
If he also could pass and hit the goal with his shots and hit the ball when he tries to shoot he would be playing for Chelsea or Barcelona or the likes.
So I guess we must be grateful for his flaws. :)
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

I'm afraid I still doubt Bilic's tactical nouse. Why take off Snodders and then put on Callieri rather then Fletcher? Almost every game sees the same poor substitutions or players played out of position.
Poor refereeing is only part of the reason we dropped two points yesterday.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Ingwe wrote:I'm afraid I still doubt Bilic's tactical nouse. Why take off Snodders and then put on Callieri rather then Fletcher? Almost every game sees the same poor substitutions or players played out of position.
Poor refereeing is only part of the reason we dropped two points yesterday.
If Calleri shows more in training you can't pick Fletcher. Fletcher also wasn't on the bench so there's that.