Watford 1-1 West Ham Utd (25/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

kalashnikov wrote:Shots 13.

Shots on target 2.

We shoot plenty and don't work the keeper. Consistent trend game after game.

I've been saying for years our shooting is terrible. You can see it for yourself in pre match practice just how awful it is. Shots way off target, either mishit, scuffed, not cleanly struck and if they really are on target, which I can assure you, few actually are, they are normally too easy for the keeper to save
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Played ok today.I thought Lanzini had a shocker first half but was superb in the second.Very good indeed.Snodders was oddly subdued but he has been great since arriving.If only Antonio had a brain he would be blinding but he was great today.Feg was starting to look dangerous.All in all we are not far from being very decent. :crest:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Watford are a muggy cynical Team. Kouyates penalty claim was a stone wall in real time, let alone all the replays confirming it. Same old ****y decisions from the officials when they give a penalty for them in similar circumstances. Just no consistency at all.

I thought the sending off was soft but by the letter of the law I can see why the Ref gave it. I wouldn't be so convinced her give a second yellow had it been a Watford player.

The only place I really like Kouyate playing defensively is as an extra Centre Half facing play. It had penalty written all over it after running around like a headless chicken after both player and ball. Stick Byram back in there for the remainder of the season to see what he's truly like.

We played well for the most part, just always playing catchup going behind so early, so a few chances were being snatched and hurried, rather than composed.

Thought Snodgrass stunk the place out for the most part and was glad to see him subbed. He's entitled to a rare bad game after playing well generally since he's been here, but today he was poor.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Am I just a hopeless nostalgic or has this whole tactical foul thing becoming far more prevalent in the past year?

It's almost like an accepted team ethic nowadays. Every last bit of positive play gets snuffed out with a clattering, which makes the game feel more bitty.

Need to introduce a sin bin to cut that nonsense out.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I felt we lost that game 1-1, just like I felt we lost 2-2 to WBA.

Weird.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Aceface wrote:Am I just a hopeless nostalgic or has this whole tactical foul thing becoming far more prevalent in the past year?

It's almost like an accepted team ethic nowadays. Every last bit of positive play gets snuffed out with a clattering, which makes the game feel more bitty.

Need to introduce a sin bin to cut that nonsense out.
I'm another one in favour of a sin bin. Cynical tactical fouls in midfield to cut out attacking momentum should either warrant a ten-minute penalty or a good slap from one of the fouled team's players.
Eastcoast
Location: Sunrise Coast - totscum hotspur its happened again!

Post by Eastcoast »

If you give a team a head start you aint gonna win many games. Agree with playing Byram at RB for the rest of the season. If he aint good enough replace or stick Arthur out there. Another game we should have won :fsake:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

A bit off topic here. Watching the championship highlights and amount of players going done.....that get straight back up again.....is amazing. Premier primadonna pr1cks.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Two points dropped for me today , we did more than enough to win the game , but conceding the softest of penalties hurt us badly .

Fonte I thought was generally assured, Lanzini excellent in the second half and Obiang gave his usual decent showing .Noble had a good enough game but Snodgrass had one to forget .

That's 2 games without Carroll that we've drawn that we would surely have won had he played , four precious points dropped against sides we need to be finishing off , and we need to find some solution to this on-going issue .

No higher than 9th for my money now , but we're better to watch now than early season .Watford though were disappointing, lots of niggly fouls and poor gamesmanship throughout .

Our support gave a decent reception to Zarate and Behrami as well as the applause during play for Graham Taylor , classy stuff from our lads .
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

**** in the first half. Worth a point in the second half.

Fair result in the end I think.

Luckily lower division teams haven't yet worked out that if they just attack us constantly our defence won't be able to handle it.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Since saints away, We seem to have got our mojo back. We played West Brom and Watford off the park and have been unlucky to only get 2 points from those 2. I think the most important thing going forwards is maintaining that level of performance for the rest of the season (not something we usually do) and we should finish top half quite comfortably at the very least. As most have said lanzini in the middle is a delight to watch. Pulls the strings in the side. I worry we might see an offer for lanzini in the summer.

I really feel Slav is getting somewhere us now and with 3 or 4 quality additions in the summer things may just get a bit exciting for West Ham.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Appalling first half, the players should have a look at themselves in the mirror for pitching up like that after they have just been granted an all expenses break in the sun. Slav obviously kicked their arses during the break and it was a different side second half, one fit to wear the shirt and deserving of the win if the ref was honest or merely competent.
leveller

Post by leveller »

The penalty was just one of those things, Kayoute had no need to do it and I expect instantly regretted it. We were completely ineffective in the first half anyway, Antonio was trying to do both jobs of creating chances and scoring them which is patently impossible. Whatever was said at half time that seemed to make a lot of difference as did Ayew when he came on. Overall I thought a draw was a fair result, the referee and linesman weren't helping us though, being far too soft / shortsighted on Watford who could have probably have ended up with enough bookings to get one or two sent off themselves with different officials.
Davey1704

Post by Davey1704 »

Apart from that stupid free kick I think cresswell had a good game
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Fair result. Lack of a proper RB and CF let us down let again thanks to our talk a good game owners.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Wierd place Watford.

It seems to have about 30 stations, a few different high streets and nowhere you'd want to hang around. I took a few replacement buses, London Underground and a high speed Virgin train to Scotland before limping through Hertfordshire to get there. It's got so many world class transport links that I reckon Lady Brady would have had repeated orgasms.

I took part in that impromptu survey on here - are there any grounds in the PL worse than the London Stadium? I couldn't think of many but Vicarage Road is a Legoland contender. I was put in a 'wheelchair' section by the corner flag behind persistent standing stewards and coppers at 2 feet below sea level. I told them I'd send them warning letters if they carried on, but they didn't get it.

What a **** first half. I no longer know what turgid means, but it felt like it. It doesn't seem to me that talk about income streams, next levels, brand values etc means very much when the team continues to start without a striker. It's a bit like buying a Ferrari and having a Ford under the hood. I dispute that we've developed very far from the days of Iain Dowie in this metamorphosis into 'contenders'.

The second half was so different it became a bit annoying trying to fathom why we hadn't started like that. Lanzini is the star - he has grown so much since Payet left that he now looks to be the best player we've had since DiCanio! You wait 20 years for the bus then the proverbial 2 come along at the same time. Just wonderful to watch him.

Reid and Fonte look like the pairing now for the next couple of seasons all being well. He's slotted in immediately and looks a real presence. Snodgrass on the other hand had a headless chicken day which I think is unlike him - he needs phasing in perhaps.

All in all I'd take the point. The team throwing their shirts in the crowd at the end was a bit ott, but that's a good run since City and they clearly want to keep it going. Starting with a striker and playing a right back would help.... (*and repeat*).....
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

We could've won that and as had been said numerous times upthread we would have with a proper striker regardless of the daft penalty. Why Slav put Snodgrass centrally and Lanzini wide I don't know. Swap them back next game! Fonte was excellent for me, as was Lanzini once switched central plus honourable mention for Feghouli.

I think TPP is right though, I can't see us finishing higher than 9th really. We needed at least 4 from these last 2 and probably 6.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

continental skills wrote: I'm another one in favour of a sin bin. Cynical tactical fouls in midfield to cut out attacking momentum should either warrant a ten-minute penalty or a good slap from one of the fouled team's players.
This please
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

Doc H Ball wrote:The team throwing their shirts in the crowd at the end was a bit ott, but that's a good run since City and they clearly want to keep it going. Starting with a striker and playing a right back would help.... (*and repeat*).....
I think that was an acknowledgement of the superb away support yesterday, they all seemed to appreciate it.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

players taking time to come over and show appreciation to the best fans in the country is what we all want. Giving their shirts is a nice touch just wish I could get near enough to get one.

first half we looked disorganised but still creating chances. second half in control but couldnt find the winner.

cant argue with antonio being sent off. should of had a penalty. wba too nfar ahead of us now 9th place for us. not too bad. next season is the one !

last 2 games have been draws but felt like defeats.

heres to the chelsea match for 3 points.