West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

seaside hammer

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by seaside hammer »

Why didn't someone take him out on the halfway line ?[/quote]

because they couldn't catch him....road runner :lol:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Douthy wrote:Snodgrass and Feg were outclassed last night.
Snodders at least tried and nor did he hide. Even if a player is crap (he isn't) then that normally does for me.

Feghouli though appeared to be stapled to that touchline in the first half particularly. It didn't work but I can only assume that he was following team orders in order to try to stretch Chelsea's back line. Bilic was extremely close to Feghouli and didn't appear to be doing his nut at him so surely must have wanted him to do that? But then Feghouli regularly and obviously hid, rarely showing or moving to encourage a pass. I found him bewildering. If it was team orders - then those orders were disastrous - effectively leaving us with ten men. IF he chose to play like that then I don't know what to say other than we need to get rid.
Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Why didn't someone take him out on the halfway line
Beats me. They know who he is, and if he gets anywhere near the box he's odds on to score. The only answer I can think of is we are to nice a team, as others have said, they would have cut Lanzini off at the knees forty yards out.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think the only player who got close to him was Obiang who would have been sent off if he took him out
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

The Gibbins wrote:I think the only player who got close to him was Obiang who would have been sent off if he took him out
I'm not so sure as he had to go round Randolph to score.

I'm pretty certain Luiz,or Cahill would have taken our player out on the edge of the box and quite a few of their midfield would have done the same before it got to that.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

seemed to me like feghouli's main problem was no option on the overlap. chelsea knew this and didn't even bother covering for a potential runner, leaving him with the option of beating two men or passing it back to noble. it was the same problem whenever we had tomkins/nordtveit back there

hope to see byram start against bournemouth.

a more meta idea of why chelsea won and we lost last night, the pacey striker who could've made all the difference for us spent the game on chelsea's bench.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

First chance I've had to jump on this match thread as I was shattered when I got in from the game last night and have been mental at work today...

Sometimes it seems to me like different people see completely different games!

For me, Nobes was all over everything and the exact reason that we had so much possession... I can't believe people aren't rating his performance last night.

On the other side of the coin, Snodgrass was definitely hiding last night (and I'm a fan of his!). I sit close enough hear him tell Lanzini he didn't want to take the corners and get Manu to take them! He bottled it cos he'd fluffed a couple.

Some div behind me was even calling for Carroll to be sold at the end!!! After the bloke run his absolute arse off and was on the end of everything!! Mind you, he always talks b*llocks...

Opinions eh?!

As for Chelsea, they were just too quick and were always gonna hit us on the counter, I don't know what Slav could have done differently to be honest. And KANTE - I didn't realise how fast he was until last night! He will be the reason they win the league for me.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Watching the first 25 minutes on Sky Plus and we were actually really good. Better than I remember. Chelsea hardly got a kick and we had all the impetus. Conceding that 1st goal was criminal. Changed everything.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Yep, that first 25 minutes was liquid football from us. As soon as they scored it was almost guaranteed we'd wilt.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Seriously what was Noble doing? Snodgrass litterally had Pedro on his back. Ahhh so annoyed.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

seemed to me like Slav set up not to take another beating at the new stadium by one of the 'big boys'. Didnt make for a particularly exciting spectacle for us fans but I suppose the main objective was secured.
Just hope we show more enterprise against Spuds and Scouse. Be very disappointing not to have one top 6 scalp this season in the league.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

coyi27 wrote:Seriously what was Noble doing? Snodgrass litterally had Pedro on his back. Ahhh so annoyed.
Go on the. Noble thread and some believe it was Snodgrass fault ?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

coyi27 wrote:Watching the first 25 minutes on Sky Plus and we were actually really good. Better than I remember. Chelsea hardly got a kick and we had all the impetus. Conceding that 1st goal was criminal. Changed everything.
Yep. Watched it back as well, and up to the goal we were looking good. After that the dithering set in and everything was sideways and back, until injury time when we started to have a go, and scored. As someone already said, if only we'd tried that ten minutes earlier :fsake:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

In reference to the first goal, it was criminal we gave the ball away but the defending afterwards was piss poor from Obiang and Cresswell. It was a 2 v 2 not an overload and they made it so easy for Hazard and Pedro (plus Randolph was all over the place). We seem to have a real problem defending breakaways from our own set pieces or when we give the ball away. If we can't work out how to defend breakaways effectively then we will need to leave an additional player baCK.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

24 hours on and I'm still of the same opinion. Chelsea looked so composed, they looked like nothing would trouble them. All they need to do is carry on like that and nobody will make eleven points up on them, I think it highly likely that we were looking at the champions. Against that background we didn't do too badly.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

coyi27 wrote:Seriously what was Noble doing? Snodgrass litterally had Pedro on his back. Ahhh so annoyed.

I'm trying to imagine what went through Noble's mind. He's in a great position to cross with six or seven of our players in their area, instead he puts his foot on the ball for his usual dither and then decides passing to Snodgrass, who has Pedro practically up his backside, was a better option.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Asked a goalkeeping pundit and he said the pace Hazard was travelling at made things a nightmare for Randolph. I don't think he could make a good decision, he instead needed to be lucky and hope Hazard screwed up. This season, Hazard doesn't.

We made mistakes, we often do, but those Chelsea players are machines. Feel like Chelsea, Arsenal and City often didn't do a lot to open us, just pounced on us when we went crud. It's impressive, really.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

My reasoning would be he probably hoped Snodgrass could deliver a better inswinging cross with his left foot. But still a mental decision to make.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i've been thinking, how many teams have come to the OS and had an off day?

plenty of teams had off days at the boleyn, we'd never beat the big clubs otherwise, and we've caught a few of them away this season.

but at the OS, every visiting team has played at least to their level and in a few cases, had their best performance of the season.

it's a perfect synergy of a ground with none of the pressure of having to perform at home with none of the pressure of a hostile away ground. visiting teams absolutely love it.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Pretty much what Charlie Austin said in the pre FA Cup build up. Not sure how they got onto the conversation about LS but he said Southampton didn't feel intimidated at all by the atmosphere.