West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by aitchayell »

We didn't make Chesea work hard enough for their predictable win. When Chelsea were at Burnley recently drawing 1-1 Burnley were in their faces competing with high pressing, quick closing down, organised disciplined defence and swift counter attacking. What was our plan? I am not sure we had a Plan A let alone a Plan B. For all that if they played with Fegouli and we had Hazard what would the result have been ?
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

xmas01245 wrote:P.S. "You sold your sole for this sh*thole" OK, I'll give them that one.
It was a shoe-in that was going to be said. But if the shoe was on the other foot would they still think it? I'm just glad we didn't drag our heels when the opportunity arose. Maybe one day we'll be able to go toe to toe with the best.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

I think the mood on the board pretty much sums up my own feelings.
I thought at times we played really well but to break a team like that down needs better players than we have got. Would rather their goals weren't as sloppy as they were but I wasn't too dejected last night as we've effectively just lost to this seasons league winners. Just one of those nights.

Just hope the Reid injury isn't too bad.
Any news on that?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

We were ok at best last night. It was fairly even up until Hazard's goal but that was the end for us. It always felt like they were just doing enough to keep us at arm's length and we huffed and puffed with cross after cross that was never really going anywhere and they rather strolled to victory.
To be fair they have looked Champions elect for a long time now and will not be caught. I think they will see out the season in a similar manner to Leicester last year, just doing enough to win each game, that's all they need to do now they have a decent lead.
I think if needed Chelsea had plenty in reserve last night whereas we were "all in". That's a big difference. I would prefer to see City win but it's Chelsea's title this year, alas.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

xmas01245 wrote:P.S. "You sold your sole for this sh*thole" OK, I'll give them that one.
As they get set to prepare to move into their 'Honey, I Blew Up the Boiled Egg Slicer' stadium.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Thought we did ok overall, especially for the first 25 mins without really creating anything. That first goal really killed us though in my view.

I think we need to put things into perspective a bit. This was a team of freebies and cheapos against a team who are quite happy paying £50m for a single player...something which we will never do. They have people like Hazard and Kante whereas we have just bought Robert Snodgrass from Hull City. Then they bring on Willian from the bench, a class act in his own right and someone they paid nearly £30m for, and we bring on Fernandes and Byram.....says it all really!

You tend to get what you pay for in life and whilst we stupidly gave them the ball for both goals, the speed of their breakaway for the first goal was something else. Sadly speed is something we don't have in our team right now.

As things stand, we are top half at best and that's the way it will stay until we have some proper investment.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Chelsea held us at arms length for virtually the entire game which made for very frustrating viewing and it felt like they were toying with us for most of it. Carroll was the wrong player for this fixture in hindsight - his game is far too static and he was easily marshalled by Cahill and Sideshow Bob in the air. With little movement up front we could only pass it around in front of them and side to side, which coupled with the tendency to go backwards first and our general slow passing meant our wingers rarely got any sort of space - crosses into the box were almost always from deep and largely nullified by their admittedly quality wingbacks Moses and Alonso. Feghouli looked completely devoid of confidence against them (until he saw the board go up) and Snodgrass had another game to forget; we badly missed Antonio's spark and unpredictability and only Ayew's late introduction gave us something more going forward. Annoying that Bilic left it so late to introduce him.

But my biggest gripe by far was our set pieces, which considering the height we have in our side and the threat we have in Carroll, were absolutely diabolical. I can't remember a single one that didn't lead to a dangerous break for them or go straight into their keepers hands, with both of their goals coming directly after a West Ham free kick and corner at the other end. When will we learn...
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

That Chelsea team is as good as I have seen in the Premiership.Not in showy,all-out attack way but very clinical,organised and ,when needed,very skillful.They make teams look mundane and laboured because they are so well-drilled..To get anything out of them ,you need some really exceptional players who can do the unexpected and we are just not at that level.However,we did have a right go and had some good moments and it was a world away from the Arsenal and Man City performances.We are who we are and,unless we get some serious investment,we ain't going to challenge the likes of Chelsea anytime soon but we didn't do bad last night.
HammersChat

Post by HammersChat »

3 errors for the first goal in my opinion

1-putting both centre backs up for a free kick we were going to shoot from
2-noble not just putting it back in, and the biggest error.
3-one I feel was overlooked, there were opportunities to take a booking, Obiang on hazard being the biggest, I think this is something we can be quite poor at, bring him down well away from our goal and take a booking.

But all in all, thought we played ok. Not much in final third but good to see us have the confidence to try pass it about against Chelsea. If Snodgrass or Feghouli had their delivery game on, we could have seen something different but it wasn't to be, seen us play a lot worse for sure, but I've also seen Chelsea play at higher gears than last night.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

Funny as I was thinking about how much the PL must have deteriorated if that's the best team in it.
AmzP

Post by AmzP »

The scoreline was flattering in my opinion, purely because Chelsea didn't have to get out of 1st gear at all for the whole game. If they did then we would have been absolutely thrashed.
It's the same every game, stupid aimless passes sideways and backwards without putting any pressure on anyone's defence. Before the first goal, we were getting into nice areas but never actually got a shot away, which is pretty standard this season. I was telling my mate there that it's the same every game. Lots of possession and passing around without any conviction or creativity.
Obviously losing payet hasn't helped with that, but this needs to be addressed big time. Snodgrass is a squad player at best because it's obvious every time what it is he will try and do because he is so one footed. Feghouli has something about him but not sure when or if it will materialise here, he definitely needs to toughen up.
As much as I love Carroll he doesn't help the situation either. He doesn't have the pace to stretch defences and when he is involved in build up play, he doesn't have the pace to get into the box which was clearly seen yesterday.
I thought we would get smashed down their left side (our right) but fortunately that area wasn't seemingly targeted.
We need to drop noble! Our whole block most times he was on the ball would scream for him to make a certain pass and it's almost like he is the last person in th me stadium to see that pass. I don't see chek as a long term option alongside obiang either as in my opinion we need someone more technical with a good passing range along the mould of Alex song.
The atmosphere was amazing when the game started in my opinion, but as soon as we went down it died.
We need some serious work in the summer both on and off the pitch if we are to progress as a team.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Thought we looked what we are (and what everyone outside the top 6 or 7) borderline championship players with a few gems scattered in.

Chelsea are a good side, full of pace and quick thought and are well drilled and organised. We are ponderous and without a plan. We aren't anywhere near the next level but we aren't that far from a good side, we need 2 or 3 real quality players instead of the ongoing make do and mend attitude. A little bit of quality will make better players of a few of these a bit like Kante has done for them.

If we genuinely want to move up then thats a different story. We need to solve the conundrum of Carroll, we need a whole new midfield barring Lanzini, a gk, a rb and some speed of thought. 150m should do it :lol:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Irrons wrote: But my biggest gripe by far was our set pieces, which considering the height we have in our side and the threat we have in Carroll, were absolutely diabolical. I can't remember a single one that didn't lead to a dangerous break for them or go straight into their keepers hands, with both of their goals coming directly after a West Ham free kick and corner at the other end. When will we learn...
I actually thought we put in some good balls, unfortunately they have a 6'6 World Class GK who knows how to command his area.

If we wanted to beat them in the air we probably shouldn't have stuck a 6'4 midfielder at RB.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

D C wrote:Funny as I was thinking about how much the PL must have deteriorated if that's the best team in it.
I thought exactly the same...with a bit more pace we could have hurt them.

Nothing special at all.

Hair Bear Bunch at the back looked quality but i didn't see another £30 million performance from anyone else.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Romford wrote:Nice to see Sky being impartial as usual...employing a certain Frank Lampard Junior as a pundit for tomo
Just watched it again on Sky...i thought i was watching Chelsea TV.

Total sham...and a disgrace for supposedly impartial TV.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Romford wrote: Hair Bear Bunch at the back looked quality but i didn't see another £30 million performance from anyone else.
Like Morgan and Huth last year the Chelsea CB's are being massively protected by Kante. Leaves them to do the basics of defending without worrying too much about being pulled out of position or being run at.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Like Morgan and Huth last year the Chelsea CB's are being massively protected by Kante. Leaves them to do the basics of defending without worrying too much about being pulled out of position or being run at.
Chuck in Matic usually too....but with pace like they have on their counter attack they can keep their shape and drop back when needed.

We are always far too slow in our build up....and in all our play really.

We are not half the team we were last season. :asleep:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Would not necessarily drop Noble for Saturday, especially if Reid is out. Away from home against a team like Bournemouth the element of control he brings will be useful. It is games like last night when he is outclassed that do not best suit him albeit I thought he had one of his better games this year against the big teams.

If Reid is out Kouyate has to play CB, Bournemouth have pace up front and we cannot go against that with Collins and Fonte. If Reid is fit as they do tend to play two up might consider a back 3 with Cressie and Antonio wide.

Lanzini and probably Antonio are the only nailed on from the front 4 in the 4-2-3-1 to my mind, so perm 2 from AC, Snodgrass, Ayew, Feghouli. If Mings is out then I would be tempted to go witth AC if fit and Ayew.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Just felt inevitable that first goal. If our goal had been 10 minutes earlier I'd have had us down for another.

Not hard to see why English teams don't fare too well in Europe at the moment to be honest, you could see that Chelsea team coming unstuck quite easily.

Don't know who it was (Chelsea sub) that insisted on warming up on the pitch, he was getting a bit of abuse for it.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Kante is so impressive. Players are scared to go near him with the ball and when he has it he doesn't waste it does he.

Any team with him in it stands a good chance of winning a game.