West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Regista

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by Regista »

Evidently you don't have much of an eye for football. Obiang is the best passer in our team.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

:lol: Joker

As for best passer, that would Lanzini.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Obiang is definitely our best passer of a ball.
Regista

Post by Regista »

Colours never run wrote::lol: Joker

As for best passer, that would Lanzini.
Seriously? Why's that? Because you looked us up on WhoScored and he has the highest successful pass percentage? That's because 90% of his passes are 3-5 yards or quick little one-twos (not a criticism). For all his strengths, Lanzini is not somebody that will often play a defence splitting pass, that's far more Pedro's bag.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Because he makes more of his passes as well as a higher frequency of them and protects possession extremely well in much tighter areas of the pitch where it's harder to keep the ball in the middle third of the pitch as well as the oppositions half. Noble would be the next best passer in the team, then Obiang who I strongly advocated to be in the side last season when he was struggling to get in it when others couldn't see what he was about.
Regista

Post by Regista »

I think you're struggling to comprehend that a player simply completing a lot of passes doesn't necessarily make them a great passer.

Like I said, most of Lanzini's passes are short, usually with the intention of retaining possession, whereas Pedro gets the ball around the halfway line and tries to split the defence and get somebody in behind — often successfully. That's a good passer.

Of course the player that plays most of their passes short is going to complete more, for one because it's easier to complete a 5 yard pass than a 30 yard one, secondly because there's far more opportunities to play a short pass than a long pass. Making conclusions based on numbers is stupid.
Colours never run wrote:protects possession extremely well in much tighter areas of the pitch where it's harder to keep the ball in the middle third of the pitch as well as the oppositions half
That's about close control and dribbling, nothing to do with passing.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Obiang has the best range of passing for sure. Lanzini and Nobke may be better at short pin point passes but neither of them get close to Obiang's ability to ping a ball.
All of that is by the by to the main point that Kante and Obiang are in no way similar except they play in midfield and have some kind of defensive, rather than attacking remit

Obiang should be playing as a box to Box midfielder for us in my eyes. His talent being wasted at the moment IMHO
Colours never run

Hang on, I could say the same about Obiang not being able to play anywhere near as many intricate 1 and 2 touch passes in the tightest areas of the pitch under pressure that Lanzini constantly does. They are both asked to do different jobs in different areas of the pitch but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lanzini ping a pass from deep if asked too as I've seen enough of his technique with a ball in general to believe that, but as he's rarely in Obiangs position to do so, we cannot say for sure he doesn't have it in his locker. I have though seen Obiang lose possession when he does rarely venture forward.

So when I weigh up who's a better passer, I take everything in to account and for me the amount of successful passes someone makes, however they are made under different circumstances it's Lanzini that's the best at it. I see that during games and the stats only back up what I thought I saw.

Good discussion though.