West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Like others have already said - not confident of getting anything at all out of this match but West Ham have surprised us all on more than one occasion so let's not write us off before a ball has been kicked - we've already played Chelsea twice this season , lost one , won one - however there won't be any 2nd string players on show this time around .

If we're to win we'll need Carroll fit and everyone at the top of their form .
Barnet Steve
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Barnet Steve »

Cannot see anything else but a loss. Just smacks of a typical build-up where the players all trot out to say how they are up for it, and then go into hiding during the actual match. We can't afford for Noble to be off the pace on Monday, and I imagine we are a day away from Carroll being fired up for it and being pulled due to a niggling injury.

Our performances against the big teams have been abject this season, and I cannot see us turning over Chelsea on their current form.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

..................Randolph.................
Byram......Fonte.....Reid.....Cresswell....

Feghouli........Obiang.....Kouyate.....Snodgrass
.............................Lanzini..........................
.........................Ayew...................................

Please Slav
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

---------------randy
byram---fonte-reid----cressers
-------------kouyate
-----obiang------noble
feghouli----------------lanzini
--------------ayew

fluid front three with lanzini occupying the middle when cresswell pushes up. always keep three back though, whether that be kouyate dropping back or one of the full backs tucking in.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

BD that is what I would play as doubt carroll will be fit for the match. also he cant play a pressing game so cant put luis under any pressure. bring him on last 20 mins to get the winner, i hope !

have to keep it tight

maybe fernandez for byram would be more solid.
harryhammer66

Post by harryhammer66 »

This definitely is not a game for Noble, he chases shadows against the big teams at home. We need Obiang and Kouyate in the middle who are more than capable of pressing Kante and Fabregas then breaking when we get our opportunities.

Whether or not Slav rates him, Byram has to be RB as he actually is a RB and Arbeloa isn't going to play. I would like to see Masuaku play again at some point this season but Cresswell put a few good balls in against Watford so I can't see him getting dropped.

Going forward the big man AC has to start up front but he needs support around him. Chelsea away first game of the season he was so isolated and there wasn't a player within 15 yards of him when the ball was getting knocked up. So Ayew has to make sure he is anticipating the long ball and giving AC options with the knock down. Feghouli has impressed me of late especially with his work rate and determination, he will be important on the right to support Byram (or whoever is RB) and then Lanzini pulling strings in the middle and not out wide like how he started against Watford.

The crowd and players will have to be right up for it, we cannot afford a slow start, we need to learn the lessons from Spurs and Burnley who have had success recently, press and harass them all over the pitch and hit the long diagonal ball to AC so he can expose the gap between Moses and Azpilicueta.

Randolph
Byram - Fonte - Reid - Cresswell
Kouyate - Obiang
Feghouli - Lanzini - Ayew
AC
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

It'll be a tough one, but if we can limit them to less than 5 goals we're in with a chance of losing by 3-4 goals.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

harryhammer66 wrote:Randolph
Byram - Fonte - Reid - Cresswell
Kouyate - Obiang
Feghouli - Lanzini - Ayew
AC
this is a formation for 65+ mins if we need a goal back. carroll for noble and taking out the least effective of the front three for snodgrass.
swerley

Post by swerley »

Exactly. I don't see AC starting here. Hopefully he defines what an impact sub means with 1/3 of the game to go.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I would be surprised to see Byram start at RB this game

I reckon that Slav does not see him as the solution at RB, not for now at least
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Nesticles wrote:I would be surprised to see Byram start at RB this game

I reckon that Slav does not see him as the solution at RB, not for now at least
I wonder if we will match them with 3 at the back, if so then Byram would be our only available option for RWB, with Kouyate joining Fonte & Reid.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

didnt fernandez play RB or RWB against them in the cup and scored !

I dont fancy byram at RB either butwe have no other RB . We cant play kouyate there again
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

somerset-hammer wrote:I wonder if we will match them with 3 at the back, if so then Byram would be our only available option for RWB, with Kouyate joining Fonte & Reid.
Perhaps that will suit him better

From what I understand from a Leeds supporting mate, he played a lot at RM (and even CM I think he said) before we signed him

When we talk about Nordtveit, Antonio and Kouyate all being played there out of position, it may apply to Byram aswell

Long term, not sure where he fits in or if he is even a player Slav wanted by the looks of things
bobo

Post by bobo »

I think Bilic will match Chelsea's formation.

Byram to play right wing back with Lanzini & Snodgrass off Ayew with Carroll & Feghouli to make an impact from the bench.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Just dont get tonked at home again please, anything other than a tonking is a plus at the moment, given our record at home against the big teams so far. Please, please not a tonking.
since86

Post by since86 »

Anything other than a tonking is a great result imo!
But then again who knows? Was an amazing atmosphere in the EFL cup match at the OS by all accounts so maybe that might swing it our way. I've been impressed with the team's attitude in the last few weeks, seeing how we are pretty much safe but still fighting back or going for the win. Formations aside, a positive atttude and a bit of luck might swing it our way. Perhaps an upset is on the cards...
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

we have a history of upsetting "big" teams albeit not this season; so far !

if we are up for it from the start and the crowd is loud then maybe we can do them.

no clue who or how we will play.I hope chelsea dont either.

This is the first of 3 big games at home against teams i hate the most chelski, spurs and liverpool.

Time to start winning again,starting monday night.
danski78
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danski78 »

I don't know how we should approach this one. Antonio out is a big loss but at least it will force slavs hand into playing a forward. If Carroll isn't fit then Id like to see Calleri start up top.. I thought he looked a lot more assured last time he came off the bench. We need to replace Antonio with someone who is quick and strong as I suspect when under pressure we will look for an outlet who we can ping a ball, hopefully hold on to it and relieve some pressure.. I think that could be Ayew ( a bit stronger on the ball than Feghouli perhaps )

I hope the days of Lanzini starting on the wing are a thing of the past and he cracking in the middle.. I just wonder if he might be drowned out in this game and some more muscle needed in the midfield. Could this be the game we see Obiang and kouyate in center mid with Lanzini potentially coming off the bench in the second half.

I wouldn't normally suggest benching Lanzini just for this game it might be an idea
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Hazard a potential doubt.
Chelsea FC @ChelseaFC
Conte says Eden Hazard has a 'little problem' after getting a kick in training on Wednesday, but he thinks it is nothing serious.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:It'll be a tough one, but if we can limit them to less than 5 goals we're in with a chance of losing by 3-4 goals.
My thought as well.

Unless we can park the bus...