West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by Tenbury »

I don't see many teams doing much against that mob.They're a class above most of the prem.

Thought we played OK for the most part,missed Iron Mike and gave away a stupid first goal at a time when we were looking pretty good.
Glad I can't afford to do many home matches,the place is too depressing.
Next up a nice seaside jaunt,I can't go but enjoy everyone.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

somerset-hammer wrote: To be fair, there might only be a handful of players in the league, who could break with pace and have the composure to slot home.

Antonio has the pace to get into that position, but would he finish?
My point in a nutshell .

In between caning our players it may serve us well if we salute the special talent that is Eden Hazard .

Hazard, Costa, Kante .......three that would get in any team in the world .

Let's not beat ourselves up too much .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We did OK - I've seen us play much worse this season. The problem for us was our whole game relied on Carroll being able to produce something. The Chelsea defence handled him well. Thought we lacked a bit of pace throughout the team, and at times attempted to overplay it in crowded areas. Also think Byram looked far more at ease over on the right than Kouyate did and wouldn't think twice about bringing him back into the team for the next game. Though Fernandes looked very tidy when he came on too. Other than that.... we did alright but unfortunately wasn't able to produce much in the way of threat against the best defence in the premier league. We won't be the only ones.
xmas01245
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by xmas01245 »

I think we gave them a reasonably good go, just really frustrating to concede the first goal the way we did, especially as we were on top at the time. I said before the City game and this game that we simply cannot start with Noble against any of the top 6. Don't get me wrong I love Noble, but games like that he gets exploited so often and he's just too slow. If we want the best chance of winning these type of games, then I'm afraid it's without Noble.

As a side note, the Chelsea fans have the same uninventive and unintelligible chants lined up every year. "No noise from the p**** boys" and "Go back to your caravans". Yes, all 56,000 of us are p*****. Special mention to other great Stamford Bridge chants heard last night such as "Pedro...Pedro...Pedro" and "Diego....Diego...Diego" oh and my all time favorite: "Chelsea...Chelsea....Chelsea". Think i'd rather live in a caravan then be as thick as that lot. Onwards and upwards!

P.S. "You sold your sole for this sh*thole" OK, I'll give them that one.
Last edited by xmas01245 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Burnley Hammer yes there definitely was 'overplaying' specially in the middle which always gave their defence time to settle into shape. No pace going forward. Not been a consistent problem this season though.
Billy Bonds Thighs
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by Billy Bonds Thighs »

Against a brilliant Italian type drilled team with some worldy players I thought we did ok. They are something else on the break, Kante would be the first player on my dream team sheet, simply like having a extra player. Not worth beating ourselves up !!
Should Noble have crossed that ball ? Maybe but he was picked off by Kante and Hazard and there isn't many better than them two...
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Didn't watch the second half as had to be up really early, the first half we cost ourselves that goal by over committing against a team that thrives on it. Thought we made it easy in that regard apart from that we was okay we made it hard for Fabregas to get on the ball and run the game but one stupid mistake which we did three times and got punished luckily just the once, just basics, facing a top side or any side don't go so far forward so early in the game that is 0-0.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

In truth we needed a couple of theirs to have an off day - they didn't

We could have played 10-15% better and we still would have lost

We definitely missed Antonio - as ineffective as Snodgrass and Feghouli were it was obvious that our tactic (of two wingers but a triple marked and alone Andy Carroll as the only threat in the box) was being picked off too easily by Chelsea. Antonio complements Carroll as they are both an aerial threat but the defenders also worry about Antonio's movement and running beyond.

Suspect Reid will miss a game or a few - Kouyate to CB and Byram to left back.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we had one plan lump it to carroll. lack of pace in midfield where we took ages to release the ball.
fegouli kept coming inside and passing back instead of trying to run the fullback.

But it was against a side who beat most teams.

Back to our level on saturday. Bournemouth away a good test of where we really are.
3pts against them and we are on course for a top ten finish which is a good season for us.

In the summer we need a RB, attacking midfielder and a mobile striker striker. Get them and we can challenger for top 7/8 next season.

French bloke, sigguardsson and batsuayi .
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

simonpaulthomas wrote:"Hi Eden, its Frank"

**** off you dick.
Watched this game on movistar, spain, with Spanish commentary, for 2 reasons
1 I can't stand their biased crap analysis, and **** pundits
2 I don't speak scouse
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

gegsy wrote:Sometimes you just have to credit the other team. We played alright but they didn't give us a sniff.

Turns out they're very good at football.

Let's see how we do against Bournemouth.

Probably the reason why all of their players are worth so much more than ours.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

hammer1975 wrote:Suspect Reid will miss a game or a few - Kouyate to CB and Byram to left back.

How about Ginge in at CB, Byram at RB and move Kouyate into his best position (midfield) at the expense of the Captain to give us a bit more energy in that area.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

--posting without reading thread--

I thought we played well, Chelsea were predictable and we fell into the trap. They sat back, we pushed forward and got caught on the break.

Despite that, I think we gave it a good effort against the team at the top of the division. It was never going to be easy, especially after they shut up shop at 66 minutes.

I thought Snodgrass played well, chased a lot. Lanzini played alright, managed to keep the ball fairly well. Feghouli also gave a good showing.

We were pretty one dimensional though, ball to wing and into the box despite most the time never being there.

Cresswell was poor, imo. He's really faded this season. He certainly looks a bit of a weak link.

Imo as ever ofcourse...
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

You can't fault Chelsea. they are so clinical making it look so easy, though we do make it difficult at times, I see our problem is we are one dimensional again up front, crosses in the air into the box to Carroll, we have no fast striker who will use speed and just shoot.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Good as Chelsea are the plain fact is that we've only beaten one team above us as it stands and that was away at Saints. And with Spuds, Bindippers x 2 to come we won't get any more chances against those teams above us unless we win at the Arse and Stoke! Says it all really. :(
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Checking back, since September, we have only lost once to a side outside the top six - and they were last seasons League Champions. That ain't bad overall and it is the reason why we are hovering around the top ten.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

Was listening to the post match phone in on TS, as much as i dislike Andy Goldstein, i liked how he was repeatedly calling a season ticket holder a disgrace and everything that is wrong with football.

The said season ticket holder was a 'huge' Leeds fan who had supported them all his life, yet he and his Leeds supporting father had a ST cos they were cheap and local 8-)
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:Checking back, since September, we have only lost once to a side outside the top six - and they were last seasons League Champions. That ain't bad overall and it is the reason why we are hovering around the top ten.
The flip side is we have only won two games all season against teams not in the relegation dog fight i.e bottom 7

Southampton away and Burnley at home (and let's be fair burnlwy at home is about as big a gimme as you can get this season)

That is a quite frankly awful record and, for me, why this season as been so dull. No real impressive results to liven it up. We have beaten the dross but that is aboit it
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Tenbury wrote:I don't see many teams doing much against that mob.They're a class above most of the prem.

Thought we played OK for the most part,missed Iron Mike and gave away a stupid first goal at a time when we were looking pretty good.
Glad I can't afford to do many home matches,the place is too depressing.
Next up a nice seaside jaunt,I can't go but enjoy everyone.
+1

I keep going to click the Like button for certain posts and Dislike for others :lol:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Chelsea just showed what a good side they are last night.

We were so tactically naive, we were punished on the break with all players forward which was bad enough but continued to play a high line and get punished every time they broke away. We played some fairly decent football last night but it was a frustrating performance, we keep making sloppy mistakes at home and come unstuck.

............and for the love of god, can Andy Carroll please stay upfront!?! How many times did our attacks come to nothing last night because he is challenging and chasing for balls in an area of the pitch Obiang or Noble should be positioned. I understand its admirable a player works hard and chases but he was constantly out of position last night, anywhere but the penalty area when crosses were coming in or arriving too late as he was making up distance for being out of position. I felt like we could have countered so much better yesterday if he just stayed up top, he was getting frustrated and playing far too deep so the Chelsea back 3 had a fairly easy night.