West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 128 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by Douthy »

We just look so laboured in possession, every pass seems to take an age and seems as likely to end up with the oppo as our own player.

Obiang and Kouyate could work, but I'm afraid whilst Noble has his qualities, in a counter attacking game he struggles to affect play.

Snodgrass and Feg were outclassed last night.
marteau en france

Post by marteau en france »

For obvious reasons i wasn't there, but did get to see it on a very good stream, immediately post match came on here and i thought i'd watched a different game, its the same every match, loose and we are completely inept, lacking in ideas, squad full of crap players, Slav no clue, and so on, win and we are as good as anyone we'll win the league next year etc etc, keep telling myself i'm not logging on for at least 4 hours after a loss because all the doom and gloom merchants can't wait to slag off the team or manager, this morning a completely different atmosphere more balanced views with a bit of reality, we all know the shortfalls in the squad, and whats lacking but we're stuck with it until the summer live with it. get sick to death with all the moaning and negativity on here, have been a Hammer for sixty years so well used to the ups and downs that comes with supporting WHU, does worry me we're attracting the wrong sort of supporters, getting to sound like the rest, football has gone in a direction i detest but that's life, won't stop me supporting my team though. rant over. :crest:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Romford wrote: Chuck in Matic usually too....but with pace like they have on their counter attack they can keep their shape and drop back when needed.

We are always far too slow in our build up....and in all our play really.

We are not half the team we were last season. :asleep:
Yeah it has also allowed them to go to 3 at the back to hide the CBs flaws.

We look incredibly slow and indecisive in possession, we also don't seem to take responsibility (not sure if this is ability or fear of the reaction if it goes wrong). Its a doddle playing football the way we do, give it to someone else usually backwards. Last year we gave it to Payet, we don't have anyone close to last years Payet unfortunately. So we edge backwards until it gets to the keeper who lumps it (or last night until the opposition nicks it while you fanny about). We are back where we were 2 years ago really.

I like Lanzini but we need more players who can hurt the opposition, its tough to play quick 1-2s when you are only 1. Carroll is the other quality attacker we have but creatively these 2 don't seem an obvious fit. As a few have said over the months we don't seem to have an identity, a style of play that the squad is built to fit. I think Bilic can manage this club but he needs to put his foot down in the summer and decide what he wants. He probably doesn't have the power within the club for that though (and to be honest he hasn't helped himself with some of the players he wanted last summer).
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Kante must be best defendive Mid in the world. I can't think of anyone better.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Even my Mrs could see that we were lacking a fast striker with more movement. We desperately needed Sakho or Antonio last night. We also spent too much time tapping the ball sideways and backwards when what was needed was to move it quicker out to the wide areas where especially on the left Creswell and Snodgrass were often alone and unmarked. Things changed a little when Byram and Ayew came on and their 2nd goal was soft as they come.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We had more possession (although we didn't hurt them with it), more shots , more corners. They are really just a clone of the old Arsenal under George Graham but with more pace and flair up front. I won't say that Kante is the difference between them winning the Prem or not but without him and Hazard , they wouldn't look so dominant (as last season showed when Hazard went AWOL). We did okay and would probably have got a result against any but the top 4 , so why all the glum comments? I'll only criticise the team if they don't give 100% , but they competed throughout the full 93 mins.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

5 at the back with Kante in front. It's not easy to break that down.We lacked Antonio's pace and drive and I thought that Feghouli and Snodgrass looked poor.

Lanzini also seemed isolated by being the only midfielder we had with a little craft.

Their front three was lightning though, it broke quick and Hazard would get in any team in the World right now.

We passed the ball well though and looked solid. Chelsea punish every mistake though, that's not something that happens in the Premier League all the time, but it did last night.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The very few times we ran at them with pace we either got a free kick or we got a shot off (or we scored at the end!)

Far far too slow in our build up play. It was so easy for Chelsea to defend against. We defintely missed Antonio's pace and directness. Also why didn't we take Carroll off in the 2nd half and bring Fletcher on? He was getting sod all change out of their defence. They dealt with him superbly.

Oh well onto the next game. At least Carroll lasted the whole game without getting injured (apart from the stitches in his head!) Every cloud :)
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Personally I think we are being too harsh on certain individuals. I really don't think anyone had that bad a game. Even Feghouli kept the ball well, Kouyate was solid, Noble did ok second half when he was given time on the ball and Snodgrass kept grinding that left hand side and got a few crosses in. My main frustration last night was the tactic of playing an unmobile Andy Carroll by himself and then after realising that the Chelsea defence are defending high and marshalling Carroll really easily not changing the formation.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote:5 at the back with Kante in front. It's not easy to break that down..
I would say it is more 3 at the back then 5. Moses and Alonso basically play like winger. There was one point in the 2nd half when Moses and Alonso were there two furthest forward players

Tbf Kante allows them to play like it. What a player. He is always in the right position, yet always seemed to pop up in random places like Left Wing! Plus his short distance pace is staggering and his passing is a lot better than people give him credit for

I didn't expect us to win, but just disappointed we didn't get into their faces like Burnley did the other day. We simply allowed them to play at exactly the tempo they wanted to
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

i didnt think chelsea were amazing

yeah they might have been able to step it up, but why didnt they?

their ball retention was nearly as bad as ours, had we not been so charitable defensively or had we shown a bit more in the last 15, we could be talking about a well earned draw

certainly didnt dominate us like man city and arsneal did
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

They sat back and waited for us to make mistakes. When we did they punished us.
We did look slow and lacked penetration. But they are a class above us, sadly.

Their fans were proper mugs though. Not a peep until they scored and then only 10 minutes. Talk about sing when you're winning, they only really sang when they were winning by 2.
Sold our soul did we? At least we had a soul you two bob glory hunting twats.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

fester wrote:I watched a different game.

We were good for the most part, but got punished for our mistakes.

Noble ran the show for us in midfield and really was fantastic apart from not whipping that cross in when he should (I think he could see us getting hit on the break).

Carroll looked a bit tentative after the knock, but his guile was responsible for our goal.

It looked to me like it was Feghouli that had an off day. Kept passing it backwards.I wish Cresswell and Snodgrass could use both feet. Having 2 Lindas doesn't make best use of the overlap. Our wings were, therefore, weak and the service to Carroll was poor. These were our main weaknesses, but I don't make that weak against most of the teams outside the top six.

We watched exactly the same game, Fester.
seaside hammer

Post by seaside hammer »

We were totally outclassed, First 20 minutes we pushed on and seemed to be taking the game to them but never really testing the GK or troubling them. It seems to take for ever just to get the ball up to the final 3rd of the pitch then when we do get there no-one seems to know what to do with it because Payet is not there so they go backwards before deciding to lump it back forward hoping AC get get a on it. We so slow, watching them trying to catch Hazard was like something off a cartoon.

Chelsea could of gone up another gear easily. The first goal just demonstrates even more why we need a right back as Kayoute was miles out of position and for the second, well that was just a joke of goal to give away at any level of football ( including kids).

What really gets me is the set pieces & corners. Wasted everyone one of them. What do the players do all week? surely they would work on routines to hit AC, Fonte or Reid or even try something a bit clever/different.

Noble...I love ya mate but seriously not up to it. UTD faded out their legends and Chelsea now with Terry. Why aren't we ding this, it clear as day he is struggling with the tempo of the game.

When you look at the top teams you can identity their style of play, their DNA almost. Chelsea lightening fast counter-attack play with wing-backs bombing forward, Spurs high pressing with quality full-backs & Erickson instrumental in pulling the strings, City quick passing trying to be Barca with rapid wide forwards, Arsenal open play attacking football etc etc can someone please tell me ours because I don't know?
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

The first goal indicates or need for a right back? WTF? Kouyate was up for a free kick.
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

We passed the ball well though and looked solid. Chelsea punish every mistake though, that's not something that happens in the Premier League all the time, but it did last night
That's right, super talented players like Hazard and Costa will do that.
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

coyi27 wrote:The first goal indicates or need for a right back? WTF? Kouyate was up for a free kick.
He's right back, if he goes up he should hoick someone back to cover Hazard, not just f*** off without a care in the world and leave the best player in the division a free fifty yard run on goal.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Estuary wrote:
He's right back, if he goes up he should hoick someone back to cover Hazard, not just **** off without a care in the world and leave the best player in the division a free fifty yard run on goal.
Why didn't someone take him out on the halfway line ?
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Did Courtois make a single save last night? I can't remember any.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

What annoyed me about their first goal was from the second they got away from us you knew what was coming.

Why didn't somebody just bring Hazard down or hold him back or stand in front of him and block him off.

If it had been the other way round I can guarantee most of their team would have broke the move up and gladly taken a yellow card for their trouble.

The pointless yellow cards we accrue week on week and when the smart thing to do was get one and we stand and watch them score.

That stood out to me. Chelsea would not have let us score that goal or get even close.

It was always going to be difficult if they scored first, could and should have been avoided.
Last edited by Hockley Hammer on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.