West Ham Utd 2-3 Leicester City (18/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Leicester City: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

I see a few things to address against Leicester , the obvious RB issue, a mis-firing striker, a low in confidence LB, facing a team built for counter attacking and armed - and I believe that to be the correct phrase with two "handy" centre backs .Huth and Morgan have been known to miss mid week evening matches due to their second job working on the door of that City's nightclubs .

I'm going all false No.9 for this one leaving those two with nobody to leave their mark upon .Carroll is getting benched by me, and will be first change if we need one .Byram I simply cannot trust to defend against the likes of Vardy and Mahrez, so he misses out .Fonte can be the lucky winner of we've tried everyone else at RB award, and Kouyate will partner Reid in the centre , Cressy gets another go at LB .

Randy keeps his spot as there's little point bringing back Adrian for a farewell cameo or two .That bridge is burnt .

--------------------------------------Randolph------------------------------------

---------Fonte-----------Kouyate---------------Reid-----------Cresswell ---------

Antonio----Snodgrass---------Noble-----Fernandes--------Lanzini---------Ayew

Bench - Carroll, Fletcher, Byram,Feghoulli, Obiang, Adrian, Collins

Defending corners might be an issue so Antonio gets Carrolls job for those .Attacking corners will all be taken short to compensate for Huth and Morgan .Get the ball into their box on the deck with Lanzini buzzing round their ankles and force the error .
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

hammer1975 wrote:Leicester have three draws away from home and no away wins in the Premier League this season

why do I get the feeling their first away win is coming up next Saturday?
because that's the way we roll, always happy to help end a bad run for others. I hope your fears are unfounded as I will be at the game myself.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Realy fear for us Vardy will get in behind us and cause havoc we are playing a rejuvenated leicester we are tailor made for their style hope im wrong :crest:
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

hammer1975 wrote:Leicester have three draws away from home and no away wins in the Premier League this season

why do I get the feeling their first away win is coming up next Saturday?
Because you know your West Ham?
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I feel confident about this game and think it's time we try something a little different. Giving that Huth and Morgan will be all over Carroll like a rash ( that's an injury Carroll hasn't had) I would go for Ayew up front in a line up like this.

.....................................Adrian

........Byram..................Fonte.................Reid.....................Masuaka

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Obiang

.......................Fernandes.................Lanzini.................Snodgrass

........................................Ayew......................Fletcher

Bench Randolph Noble Carroll, Antonio, Cresswell, Collins and Kouyate

There's a bit of pace to trouble their back four, lets have them reacting to us rather than us worrying what they will do
swerley

Post by swerley »

Could we have someone man-mark Vardy the whole game to nullify him? Aside from the center backs?
To me that would seem to keep them from scoring.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Stepney wrote:We looked pretty poor yesterday so I'm going for a loss here. The remainder of the season might not be as comfortable as we all thought. It's been a funny old season. Personally I just wanted to stay up and avoid the embarrassment of getting relegated in our new 'stadium'. Hopefully we'll just about have enough firepower to do that. Get this season over and done with now and see where we are in the summer and how much our owners are willing to invest in the team....
Apart from all the well documented deficiencies in our team I think we lack real firepower too. Antonio apart who can we really rely on to score enough goals?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Ayew deserves a start after his impact off the bench in the last three, Feghouli out
Cresswell needs a rest, Masuaku in.

Lanzini must start central.

Antonio or Fletcher up front, pace up against their two cloggers in defence.

Randolph
Byram Reid Fonte Masuaku
Obiang Noble
Ayew Lanzini Snodgrass
Antonio

Possibly Kouyate in for Snodgrass or Noble with the remit of following Vardy around
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

huth and morgan will be praying for carroll to start. especially after a match midweek.

time to stop making andy's bonce the alpha and omega of our football.

ayew is clearly our best poacher, either stick him in the middle or go for a diamond and put him up there with antonio.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

if we play carroll we will play straight into leicesters hands as huth and morgan will deal with him and I can see carroll being injured and out for the rest of the season.

we need pace to deal with these two

Adrian
byram reid fonte masuarka
antonio obiang kouyate snodgrass
lanzini
ayew
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

...............................Randy

Fernandes.........Fonte........Reid........Masuaku

......................Obiang........Kouyate

...Antonio.................Lanzini...............Ayew

...............................Fletcher

Fernandes needs as much game time experience as possible, Fletcher offers required pace up top, both these players should be allowed to develop asap.
ashbanki
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

----------------------------------------------------Randolph---------------------------------------------------------

----------------------Kouyate----------------------Fonte-------------------------Reid---------------------------

Byram---------------------Obiang-------------------------------Fernandes-----------------------Cresswell

---------------Antonio------------------------------Lanzini--------------------------------Ayew------------------
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

1-1 or 1-2
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Might bring Vardy in on my fantasy football and captain him.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

...........................Adrian..........

..Byram....Kouyate...Reid.(C)...Masauku...

................... ......Obiang........................

..Snodgrass.......Lanzini......Antonio.....

......................Ayew.....Carroll.................

Go for the win 2 up top.

The only reason Carroll made my team is because Sakho isn't fit.Carroll has looked really poor since he came back from yet another one of his inuries.

Noble gets dropped for being below par all season.

Fonte gets dropped as he is too slow and clumsy ( how did we spend £8m on a 33 year old? )

Cresswell has been poor nearly all season so out he goes along with Feg who is weak as **** (he delivers a great cross when he can),but he really is a nothing player who needs to be dropped.

I feel we will struggle for the rest of the season but we should have enough to stay up.But we need big changes in the summer ship out most of the dross we signed this season and replace them with better players.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

My birthday on the 18th and I'll be in Cancun, got a feeling I shouldn't try and find a place to watch this.

Head says 2-1 loss, heart says 3-1 win. I'll go for 2-2 draw.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It's actually quite hard to choose a line up. We have three quality players that, for me, all play in a similar position. That's Ayew, Lanzini, and Fernandes.

Ayew plays best centrally offering support to the striker. I don't feel he's a natural winger at all.

Lanzini is obviously an attacking central midfield player.

Fernandes for me, seems at his best when going forward with the ball in a central position. He can pick out a good pass and has good feet. I believe he was a central attacking midfield player for his previous club (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Being tall, black, and athletic does not automatically make him the next Kouyate. The games where he's been asked to play the defensive midfield role, he's looked anonymous much of the time.

Ideally, you'd love all three to be playing but when we play most of the time with 1 striker and 1 central attacking midfielder, it means the only way to do that would be to shoehorn them into the side in positions where they would not be at their most effective.

It could be possible to play either Lanzini or Fernandes as a box to box player but this would increase the work and responsibility of Obiang
Wildy

Post by Wildy »

--------------------Randolph-----------------------
Byram-----Reid-----------Fonte--------Masuaku
---------------Kouaye-----Obiang-----------------
Ayew----------------Lanzini----------------Antonio
-----------------------Carroll--------------------------

Surely Slav has realised his mistake now, just play a right back,
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Wildy wrote:--------------------Randolph-----------------------
Byram-----Reid-----------Fonte--------Masuaku
---------------Kouaye-----Obiang-----------------
Ayew----------------Lanzini----------------Antonio
-----------------------Carroll--------------------------

Surely Slav has realised his mistake now, just play a right back,

That would be my team but I doubt we will get it - think he will continue with Kayoute at RB in same way he persevered with Antonio in that position against all the evidence
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Well everything before the last two games looks irrelevant in regards to Leicester, we need a big midfield presence as Drinkwater is looks back to his best and Ndidi doesn't stop running and bossing.