West Ham Utd 2-3 Leicester City (18/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Leicester City: match thread

Post by Claret & Blue World »

dave_l wrote:Too right PP. He was exceptional.

A word also on our visitors. I really have grown to dislike them after this season. I heard reports of the kind of fans they were up at their place at the end of last year, and the way the team all played like drains for 6 months before Ranieri was sacked and are now playing like they are bothered really takes the pee wee IMO. They probably won't be, but I'd not be at all sorry to see them relegated.
They have been largely shi.. for 131 of there 133 years before they created probably sports, any sports, greatest achievement and backing it the following season by becoming Britains sole representatives in the Champions League quarter final stage when teams that have spend countless millions more than them have fallen by the way side.

How do you think the Hammers fans would react if they were in the same position ? Sure West Hams won the world cup but moaning about the opposition when your own team is having such a poor to mediocre season is slightly cringing.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Good going forward but toilet at the back. I could forgive us losing to a brilliant goal but all 3 of their you could put down to poor defending from us. The further into the Bilic era we've got the worse we've become at defending, which given how we were under Allardyce makes it all the more frustrating. Who's coaching the defence, Ray Charles?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Latest on Winston and Pedro ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

sendô wrote:Good going forward but toilet at the back. I could forgive us losing to a brilliant goal but all 3 of their you could put down to poor defending from us. The further into the Bilic era we've got the worse we've become at defending, which given how we were under Allardyce makes it all the more frustrating. Who's coaching the defence, Ray Charles?
Their 2nd was magical when you watch it again...very well worked
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

]
the pink palermo wrote:Disappointed not to be reading more praise for Lanzinis showing yesterday .

joyful to watch .
At the heart of everything good yesterday by us....must also add that their 2nd goal was genius as free kicks go.[/quote]

As good as Allbrighton's cross was, the defending was shocking, 2 at least completely unmarked near the 6 yard box, kids stuff.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

sendô wrote: Who's coaching the defence, Ray Charles?

Time for him to hit the road Jack :wink:
dave_l
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Claret & Blue World wrote:
They have been largely shi.. for 131 of there 133 years before they created probably sports, any sports, greatest achievement and backing it the following season by becoming Britains sole representatives in the Champions League quarter final stage when teams that have spend countless millions more than them have fallen by the way side.

How do you think the Hammers fans would react if they were in the same position ? Sure West Hams won the world cup but moaning about the opposition when your own team is having such a poor to mediocre season is slightly cringing.
Congratulations to them, I was pleased when they won it instead of the big guys last year and if it was us we'd be enjoying it I'm sure. What grates is their team of professional players that played appallingly for 6 months because they didn't like the manager very much and then suddenly play like they can be bothered when he goes. I made no reference or otherwise to us and our poor to mediocre season. This has already been covered ad nauseum on here!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2596 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

On another day we could have won that game 6-4 , Ayew and Carroll both missed glorious chances with our big striker bringing out a great save from Schmeichel previous to that - , otherwise both players contributed to the match , you can just tell that Andre wants to do well at his new Club and given time he will - took his goal well from the Carroll assist .
Lanzini's free kick was as good as they come , made it look simple catching the Leicester goalkeeper and defence flat footed .
Young Fernandes always impresses when he plays , won't be long before he's a regular first teamer .

A win will do wonders for our confidence , just need to keep our levels of concentration higher .
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

The Leicester supporters were fine last season up at their place, had a good chat to them, in some local bar, they had their feet on the ground and not larging it as closing in on their great league campaign.

What does bother me is this growing "Player Power", where they don't care a jot whom they play for, they get paid astronomical amounts for doing so (Is it really work?). The adulation they get is beyond belief, every social media post, every comment is dissected and analysed and interpreted to the nth degree.

How do they show their appreciation of being born with talent. Well last season the Chelsea players got Jose out, by not playing, we have our experience this season with Payet, finally, the Leicester players get Ranieri sacked, then play out of their skins for the original Assistant Manager, very well done. Its football Jim, but not as we know it.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I dont want to make excuses but West Ham away for them came at the absolute perfect moment, whereas Leicester at home for us, didn't. Can't help thinking we'd have turned them over a month ago. Hope the injuries aren't serious, 2 of our better (and more consistent) players.

There are a lot of very dislikable players in their team.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

What was Carroll doing for their 3rd :shock:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Yesterday would suggest there is a nucleus of a team there, but we will need heavy investment in the summer. Players like Lanzini, Ayew, Carroll, and Byram all impressed me. Randolph, Cresswell, Antonio, and Obiang were poor yesterday, and really struggled with the pace of the game. I thought Slav did well in taking out Cresswell in place of Masuaku, who was up to the pace of the game, and seemed intuitive going forward. Equally, Fernandes was a livewire in the centre.

Ayew must start each week. In reality, I think we all knew that. The man is one of our most expensive players, can grab a goal, and is also on for an assist. If he can vault his injuries, he will make a valuable contribution week in, and week out. I also think Lanzini keeps coming into his own and is gradually becoming a better enforcer.

Yesterday was an entertaining game, but by virtue of mistakes and lack of judgement, we handed 3 points to a Leicester side who have quality, but are clearly still lacking a bit of confidence, and could have been taken. This was made clear by the fact that nobody could have argued at the death had we snatched two goals, and won the match.
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Romford wrote:What was Carroll doing for their 3rd :shock:
Yep, I just noticed that watching MOTD. He misses the header completely.

I'm gutted we got beat yesterday - every time we have played them recently they seem to get that bit of luck. It started with the 2-1 win that started their run to avoid relegation when Kouyate hit the post at 1-1 and they went up the other end and scored. It's then carried on, our home game last season when we should have had a penalty, then their ridiculous penalty to equalise in injury time at the KP. Close game again earlier this season that could have gone either way and then yesterday. Honesty, the more I dislike them the more they seem to get that luck against us.

Luckily it was only my wife at the game yesterday, so I've not had to suffer all the gloating from the in laws that I did on NYE. You don't hear a thing from them in the last few months and now they are all over FB and Twitter talking about getting tickets for the Champions League quarter finals.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Didn't notice it during the match but did on MOTD - the amount of empty seats before the final whistle.

I've left early plenty of times with the kids, or with the hump, or both! But we were all over them and pressing for an equaliser.

I know it's been said plenty of times but the general mood around the ground before and after the game is one of "can't be bothered".

I only got in just on kick off and there were loads still downstairs having a beer, no-one rushing to get to their seats. Same as the walk from the station, everyone casually strolling along, seemingly not bothered if they made kick off or not.

This is gradually getting worse by the week, if we're not careful we'll be an easy 3 away points next season for most of the division.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Romford wrote:
Their 2nd was magical when you watch it again...very well worked
Huth had a free header on our 6 yard line, no player within 5 yards of him. It was magical alright, our defence disappeared into thin air!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

huth was carroll's man. you can't blame him for charging down the bloke on the edge of the box, but he really shouldn't be the one doing it in that situation.

we're really missing ogbonna on set pieces. for all the goals we've conceded this season, we didn't concede many direct from set pieces until recently. even those who weren't his biggest fans will admit he was a monster in the air.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2596 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Romford wrote:What was Carroll doing for their 3rd :shock:
Totally misjudged the flight of the ball which is very unlike our Andy , didn't look 100% fit .
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Beavis Danzig wrote:huth was carroll's man. you can't blame him for charging down the bloke on the edge of the box, but he really shouldn't be the one doing it in that situation.

we're really missing ogbonna on set pieces. for all the goals we've conceded this season, we didn't concede many direct from set pieces until recently. even those who weren't his biggest fans will admit he was a monster in the air.

Ginge also discharges that role well. I actually am beginning to think that Reid and Fonte are just not a compatible pair?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

sgb1972 wrote:
As good as Allbrighton's cross was, the defending was shocking, 2 at least completely unmarked near the 6 yard box, kids stuff.
They were unmarked because of the pushing up that the free kick manipulated
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Totally misjudged the flight of the ball which is very unlike our Andy , didn't look 100% fit .
Is he ever ? :wink:

Easy defensive header....and he went under the ball.