Hull City 2-1 West Ham Utd (01/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Hull City v West Ham Utd:match thread

Post by kevino »

I really enjoyed my day there too, just a shame about the football as it usually is with us. Looking at that team on Saturday though, and the squad, how many real premiership players have we got now? Lanzini yes, Carroll and Antonio probably, but the rest are Championship at best imho. Worrying.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Surprise how little celebrating there was from his team mates when Carroll scored.

Not much team spirit out there.

Seemed like they were trying to avoid selection on Wednesday.
AaronCresswellsMagic

Post by AaronCresswellsMagic »

Feghouli has 0 desire to track back. Just watch him for their first he has no interest in following his man (Robertson). IMO he is a big reason for a lot of the issues that we have had at right back this season when he has played, he provides the full back with no help at all and they are regularly faced with 2 vs 1 situations.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Surprised Carroll has had a few mentions about not clearing the corner for the winner, FFS he done more than his fair share of defending on Saturday.... more than most of our shitty defenders in fact. As well as more than our wingers in wide areas, when he could of and should of been in the box... he couldn't do a lot more in my opinion, thought he had a very good game, along with Lanzini.... I cant blame Randolph for doing any wrong either, because he didnt, the rest however were dog muck.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

sharphammer wrote:Surprised Carroll has had a few mentions about not clearing the corner for the winner, FFS he done more than his fair share of defending on Saturday.... more than most of our shitty defenders in fact. As well as more than our wingers in wide areas, when he could of and should of been in the box... he couldn't do a lot more in my opinion, thought he had a very good game, along with Lanzini.... I cant blame Randolph for doing any wrong either, because he didnt, the rest however were dog muck.

Just to clarify, my comment about AC not being at the front post wasn't a criticism of the big fella, more an expression of surprise that we didn't set up to defend that way

He was imo, our best player on Saturday.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

We were poor, they were poor, it was dire in quality. Crying out for Noble in the 2nd half to retain possession.

I couldn’t see what position Feghouli was playing, almost as if he was a second striker. Snodgrass was pelt again though I’m not sure why many are surprised. He was pathetically weak and disappeared up his own backside. Fonte put himself on a needless booking after a matter of seconds. Only noticed Ayew in the 2nd half.

The stewards were a bit OTT and took themselves way too seriously. Atmosphere was poor though the performance and sun drenched stand didn’t help.

Standouts were Lanzini and Carroll, thought Chek put a shift in and wasn’t disappointed in Byram seeing that he had nothing in front of him. Shape was non-existence. Collins put in a shift but I wouldn’t expect anything else.

Look at our back 5, only one of them is first choice and he’s hopelessly out of form. The two CB’s have a combined age of nearly 70. The reality is the squad isn’t that good, we have some decent players – the majority of which are unavailable. We aren’t a top half side, Saturdays performance is reflective of what we are.

Am I worried? No we’ll be alright.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bang on the money with that Sherriff .
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

On the positive side of things Byram appeared to avoid strangling/cuddling/wrapping his arms around anyone coming down our right flank.

Surprised to see Randolph catching some flak on here. I thought he did a solid job overall.

Marking was sloppy for their second. It was a great header from a well-struck corner, but we'd normally expect to see someone goal-side for that.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Iron George wrote: He was imo, our best player on Saturday.
Agreed on Carroll at the weekend, in fact Carroll and Lanzini have been our best players in 2017. It may not be saying much given the shitfest we have been served up but both have consistently put in shifts and their comittment cannot be questioned which is more than can be said for several of their team mates.
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

We are a poor team. I think we'll be OK this year. However, without serious action in the summer we will be in big trouble next season. We are in reverse at a frightening pace. We have the look of a Villa 2-3 years ago about us.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

richneal wrote:On the positive side of things Byram appeared to avoid strangling/cuddling/wrapping his arms around anyone coming down our right flank.
Whisper it quietly but he hasn't got a yellow card in over 400 minutes
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

richneal wrote:On the positive side of things Byram appeared to avoid strangling/cuddling/wrapping his arms around anyone coming down our right flank..
His missus hasn't had a cuddle since Valentines Day. Coincidence? I think not
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Byram would be ok if he had someone in front of him who was remotely concerned about getting back and helping defend. fegouli cant be bothered andis weak in the tackle. snodgrass cant be arsed and offers nothing forward or backwards. At least fegouli has pace and scores the odd goal.

Fonte has no one in front of him offering any protection. we are two open. You cant play fegouli and snodgrass in the same team as both sides are then weak.

fonte and collins are too slow as a partnership. Kouyate has to be one of the CBs

Hopefully slav has learned from this !