Arsenal 3-0 West Ham Utd (05/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham United Match Thread

Post by Colours never run »

bowltorious wrote:Thought Byram was good until we conceded. Then, like the rest of the team, capitulated.

Exactly that.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

I was quite pleased with 0-0 at the break but once the first goal went in it was probably as expected. It was always going to be tough but we look like a team that needs 3 or 4 decent signings. Still think we'll stay up in what has been a transitional season though and I'd still stick with Slav.
Don't really like slagging off our own players but for the money we spent on Snodgrass, Ayew and Fonte I'd been expecting a lot more. Time will tell maybe but they will need to up their game considerably.
Special mention to Ginge tonight who I thought was superb. He's getting on,and not particularly quick but puts his body on the line and always gives it 100%.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Agreed, I also thought Ginge had a fairly good game also.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought Byram had a decent game. I also thought Noble had a very good game. It was too bad Antonio had to go off as we missed him. Kouyate was disciplined for the first half an hour and then went on walkabout again. I thought Fonte had a better game than Collins. I thought Arthur had a poor game, that was exacerbated by Arsenal targeting him, but Ayew and Randolph were the weakest links.
I don't think Swansea have the same type of quality as Arsenal so hopefully we will get a result.
leveller

Post by leveller »

First half we played OK, second half our defence just showed itself for what it's been all season.
hadleighhammer wrote:Far more embarrassed about the little Green Street wannabe youtube ***** at the end. Running up to the Arse fans knowing their stewards there and segregation so no chance of anything yet still trying act hard throwing some coffee bean signs with their mates recording it for youtube as if it some result.

Embarssing some the young twats we got now, can act well hard with a fence and a steward in they way but I bet **** it it if it got more lively. Got plenty smashed back when I was that age but knew my place and was never that much of a massive ****. Bring back full price tickets I reckon.
Yes it was a bit embarrassing purely due to how old they all were (not very) but I got the impression it was a reaction to goading from the Arsenal fans who were themselves hiding behind a line of stewards. Still if it had happened at the Vodaphone Athletics Thingy it would genuinely be headline news by now, as it stands it hasn't even been reported.
m-h

Post by m-h »

f*** me. Some of the posts on this thread.

Grimbsy away and one of the best i ever did.

****ing get it together or the board has won.

United. :crest:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

No expectations really for this game, other than a defeat. So no surprise there.

I thought we fielded a very well balanced side in the first half and certainly held our own. This was difficult to maintain though, especially when you replace the industry of Antonio with the Old Man of Snod.

In a game like this, you need everyone to be on their mettle, but sadly Randolph let us all down with his blooper for the first goal. That shaped it from then on and we never looked like getting back into it.

In the scheme of things for this season, losing this game doesn’t really matter. What does matter is Saturday’s game v Swansea. Hopefully the withdrawals of Antonio, Carroll and Noble were tactical and done with Swansea in mind for we certainly are a capable team with all three playing.

A win on Saturday virtually secures survival. Follow it up with something from Sunderland and we can begin to put this miserable season behind us.

I’ve been on this journey for over 50 years so I have no problem in holding my head up and coping with a loss to Arsenal.

Losing to Arsenal means nothing to me.
It means nothing to me.
Oh the Hammers...... (thanks Midge). :crest:
traxop

Post by traxop »

Colours never run wrote:Agreed, I also thought Ginge had a fairly good game also.
Funnily enough, I thought he had the best distribution out of our back line. It was made the more obvious by the fact that every time any of our CBs made a back pass to Randolph, he would automatically hoof it up field despite the fact that Fonte always moves out wide to make angle for the return pass. Why can't our Keeper just make the simple pass out wide. We don't have to give away possession so cheaply, especially if we are only being press by a lone forward.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

no surprise we lost. poor by randolph again surely adrian must come back for saturday ?

Hopefully carroll and antonio are ok for swansea.

snodgrass was poor again. fegouli`s turn next.

byram was ok until first went in and then like rest of the team we collapsed. seen worse displays.

onto next game
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Mentally, we looked so weak, obviously brought on by lack of confidence. The second half was like Arsenal said "right, we've toyed with these long enough, lets go for it now" and we **** our pants as soon as they cranked it up a gear.

Very poor.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I usually dread coming on here after we get thrashed, but I'm pleased to see some good sense and perspective being shown.

We were dreadful after Randolph opened the door for them and if he isn't dropped for the Swansea match I personally will have to change my stance on supporting Bilic as our manager - if he hasn't got the courage and intelligence to swallow his pride on which of our 2 keepers to pick, then I think he's not the right man for the job

But that apart, as others have said, last night's match was always going to be a loss and we need to get over it and concentrate on the next match against Swansea, which has unfortunately turned into our cup final

And I saw some positives last night: Ginge had a decent match, Masuaku looked a lot better than Creswell has recently, Ayew was up for the battle and it was good to see Sakho back.

Slav needs to learn something from these 5 defeats and make sure he picks the right team against Swansea. Because if he doesn't we'll get relegated and he'll get sacked
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

First trip to the emirates for me last night, really think gold and Sullivan should be looking at their ground for a benchmark to improve ours, atmosphere aside which we all know is **** there, they have done it right, red seats all round flags all round the ground, memories and quotes all placed around the ground compared to our white concrete mess! Hopefully over the years we will implemente a lot of things like they have
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Lanzini looks like the only one who wants the ball.

Everybody else, every one of them, just wants to get rid of it asap so that someone else makes the mistake. Consequently it seems like 90% of our passes are off target or poorly considered.

We're constantly playing ourselves into pressure situations that we no longer have the confidence to deal with.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The defence can only do so much, but when you have a keeper like Randy behind you, throwing the ball in the net, you're asking for trouble.

Up until the 1st goal I thought we were defending well, best we have looked at the back for a while.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

In Out In Out Shake it all about!

I was by the corner flag and everyone in front of me seemed to be having a night out, meeting up with each other, lots of handshakes how are yers, and having a general natter rather than concentrating on the game. Was weird!

It was game over the second Snodders came on for Antonio, Arsenal knew we were no longer a threat on the counter attack and that was that. Swapping Payet for him has been an unmitigated disaster. I also think he needs to swap Ayew and Antonio if they are to support Carroll, otherwise we put zero crosses into the box for him.

Randolph costs us points more than any other player, and he is the one position I think Bilic has lost me on.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's turning into a classic West Ham season :scarfer:

We've had some good games, some, awful games and quite a few of "nothing" games .

Last night we were competitive for an hour , defended well, but hardly threatened them .It's not that we had parked the bus , but we were organised and disciplined .

At first I put this down to our players preferring to play in the compact stadium that is the Emirates :yes , I **** you not , the Emirates, compared with the Bowl of disappointment now feels relatively intimate .However I soon realised it was down to the fact Bilic had got his instructions to Noble and Kouyate spot on and for once Kouyate applied himself to his job .He still couldn't pass for toffee but for an hour he held his position .

However, once we conceded one it was always going to be a question of how many and in truth their keeper didn't have a thing to do all night , and Alexis Sanchez apart it was a very ordinary Arsenal team .

I'm not sure we learned very much last night that we didn't already know , Byram is struggling as a FB but looks ok further upfield , Ginge is now so immobile we should call him Ginger Spice , Kouyate should only play at CB, Lanzini is gifted and Carroll isolated .

Which brings me to Randy .

He's too short , has a poor reach , hogs his line and does not exude confidence , but Bilic has little choice but to play him .

Is it not the case that Adrian is out due to contract issues - i.e won't sign a new one , so we either play Randy until the end of the season and then get a new No1 , with Randy dropping to No2 , or we play Adrian and lose both keepers in the summer meaning we will be using a chunk of the budget on keepers not full backs, DM and strikers .

The Managers job isn't just about picking the best players he has to Manage in a broader sense .

Our season though now comes down to two games , Swansea on Saturday, and Sunderland a week later .Other than that the top priority is to ensure we don't deliver Tottenham a cheap victory at our place .I don't see any real risk of us going down due to other teams inadequacies but nor do I have any confidence that our Board will fund either Bilic or any other Manager appropriately to sign the players we obviously and desperately need .

And I suspect the current slow rate of ST sales reflect that view .Ultimately it will be the empty seats that do for Bilic , the Chairman will pretend to support him until we have 20,000 unsold seats next season .

FWIW, I reckon there were 10,000 empty seats at the Emirates last night .
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Didn't expect a win, but the manner was frustrating, so many weak links, can't keep Randolph in goal any longer or he will drag us down! no use defending he may leave if dropped, sorry that's not good enough an excuse! Too slow in attack, Snodgrass seems to have gone completely, hope they did not ask for a man of the match on twitter, I posted at the final whistle not to, not sure any player deserved it.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Mentally, we looked so weak, obviously brought on by lack of confidence. The second half was like Arsenal said "right, we've toyed with these long enough, lets go for it now" and we **** our pants as soon as they cranked it up a gear.

Very poor.
Exactly. At half time I said the next 15 minutes is vital and determines how the game goes.

Within 5 minutes I said to my mate we are going to get stuffed. The ball is a hot potato again and that will just encourage them to go for it.

Good solid pros like Fonte & Snodders have gone into a shell. Our keepers pull off the odd good save but you know a goal is not far away.

We just look a very poor side once we concede

4 points minimum next two games or we really could slip away.

Ironically I think i'm more likely to renew in the Championship as we will at least be competitive, although I think we will just about scrape by.

I really can't say I want to watch another season of this rubbish in the PL. Especially in our soulless bowl..
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

leveller wrote: Yes it was a bit embarrassing purely due to how old they all were (not very) but I got the impression it was a reaction to goading from the Arsenal fans who were themselves hiding behind a line of stewards. Still if it had happened at the Vodaphone Athletics Thingy it would genuinely be headline news by now, as it stands it hasn't even been reported.
Nothing unusual from the Arse fans, I know as was only about 6 seats along. If our Green Street wannabes got that upset then we really have some precious snowflakes following us now. Also not sure how that accounts for the twats coming from much closer to the middle of the away section to "give it some" to the Arse support aswell.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

2 things -

1) Arsenal fans have got to be the worst home fans in the land, absolutely terrible last night.
2) As if the game at the weekend has become this important; win and we're 8 points clear, lose and we're in the poop. Juts goes to show how important at least one of the wins we've thrown away could've been in the long run.