West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (08/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Re: West Ham United v Swansea City: Match Thread

Post by Fishdo »

Byram not only defended well... but nearly scored...

just wish he had.. would of been a just reward!!
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

It wasn't a great performance but it was a team performance. Players fought hard, battled for each other. You could see how much it meant to them.
I have been critical of Byram but he was outstanding yesterday. Ginge too, was like Ginger Pele of old, he put his body on the line to make sure they didn't get through.
I think we may have turned the corner yesterday.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I thought we played quite well and have done in our last few home games albeit with short spells of defensive brain farts stopping us from picking up more points. Lanzini was again our orchestrator but it's worrying sometimes the lack of movement around him. That bit of skill and the cross in for Calleri was magic. When we do play quick and sharp we look good but those moments are rare. I thought Ayew was poor and wondered if we had the wrong brother; Jordan looking pretty decent for them. Two full backs were solid although some questionable clearances from Arthur. I actually thought all the subs added something: Calleri a focal point, Feghouli more mobile and pacy and Fernandes that extra bit of energy and height.

At 1-0 and with 10 minutes left, we just had to play intelligently, keep possession and pick them off so why so many in the ground are up in arms about a sideways or backwards pass is beyond me. There's no point in forcing something and losing the ball.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

It doesn't matter whether we we great or whether we were ****, the thing that made that game so enjoyable, in the second half anyway, was the fight and grit and team spirit. We totally deserved to win.
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

I don't buy into all this "we were rubbish" yesterday. You can only play what is in front of you. We were the better team on the day and won.

What is clear is that there was a few of players on that pitch yesterday that simply aren't good enough. An overhaul is needed in the summer with some quality brought in. Whether that happens or not is a different story.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

We got three points and that is what counts most! many of the players played there hearts out.
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

I was exhausted just listening to updates on the radio yesterday. Finally got to see MOTD this morning, There's no where near enough of the match to decide how well/poorly we played but certainly enough to show there's still some passion for the job in hand in the players and manager.
Thought the reaction to Byrams late intervention said a lot about the spirit.
Ginge....warrior.
Cracking goal from Cheik.
Slavs reaction at the end...wonderful to see after the past few weeks
Great result, crucial 3 points, nuff said under the circumstances.

Martin Allen..... :D
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

jaybs wrote:We got three points and that is what counts most! many of the players played there hearts out.

Agreed.

Collins was immense.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

A grand day out at the *spit* "London Stadium".

Despite our shortcomings we were by far the better team, and were a decent/in-form striker from a comfortable 3-0 walk in the park.

Byram did well, helped out by Noddy who had his best game for us so far (even if it was only a 6/10 at best).

Ginger Pele was massive. Ok he is a bit slow but he was the better cb yesterday.

Lanzini is different quality, shame about the dive. :thdn:

Arthur motm for me.

Won a few quid on "One For Arthur" in the National, we are safe (never in doubt), and I got a sun tan.

Hapy days!
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Korea Hammer wrote:It doesn't matter whether we we great or whether we were ****, the thing that made that game so enjoyable, in the second half anyway, was the fight and grit and team spirit. We totally deserved to win.
This, Really enjoyed the game yesterday, money well spent for a change, great team spirit, Lanzini my MOM run close by Sam Byram, Ginger pele, Arthur and Nobes, Adrian needs to come back urgently, and in all this thread, nobody has mentioned how inept the officials were, Kevin Friend is dog ****, as was the lino on the west side, were we ever going to get a decision?
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

bubbles1966 wrote:Byram and Screamin' Arfur made a total of 28 tackles, interceptions and clearances yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a season record for full backs.
The stat in Cresswell's last match when he went off after about 60-70 minutes was zero for all of those. I think that may have been a record too! :)
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

17 years of hurt wrote: What is clear is that there was a few of players on that pitch yesterday that simply aren't good enough. An overhaul is needed in the summer with some quality brought in. Whether that happens or not is a different story.
Yet again, another huge window this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if we are fighting off clubs for Lanzini as well.

Sad fact is we don't even know if the manager will be here.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Theres already chat that the spuds are wanting to talk to him...

Same for a few other players...

Picking up on a comment a few pages back about what we pay in agents fees this season (2 windows) we are 6th in the highest fees for agents .... which surprises me given the boards way of dealing..
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

smuts wrote: Yet again, another huge window this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if we are fighting off clubs for Lanzini as well..
I watched MoTD last night, just to relive that magic moment when he left 2 defenders for dead.
The team's effort,commitment and togetherness was commendable but cannot mask how poor we were against a dire Swansea team that froze on the day.
When you've got Sakho and Carroll on the bench, but don't dare bring them on - even when the only other forward option is Calleri - then I'm struggling to understand what is going on.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Fishdo wrote:Byram not only defended well... but nearly scored...

just wish he had.. would of been a just reward!!

The last two games he has played really well, maybe he is starting to settle into the role and actually can be good enough.

Another few games like yesterday will do him the world of good.

Well done Sam
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I feel like under that amount of pressure we played well, another striker on the pitch we score a few more. Both teams didn't want to lose but only one really looked like winning.
Still can't believe the amount of injuries we get, there is definitely something wrong somewhere for us to get this many.
Graza

Post by Graza »

TFFT. Virtually everyone I spoke to before the game said the same thing, lose and we're down. I couldn't disagree, with the way the knives have been sharpened lately, lose a day it might have been Billic's last game.

Magic goal from Kouyate, who goal aside I thought struggled yesterday, put the milage in and put pressure on but didn't get the tackles in and wasn't great on the ball.

Lanzini put a great shift in, he went early on the challenge he thought was coming which was a shame as you often see them given when the guy was already on his way down against us. Still you live and learn.

If we had a functional striker we could have walked that game. I thought the sky commentary was bang on when they said that the Swansea center halves wouldn't exactly be worried about Calleri coming on and that glaring miss at the end showed why. It is a crime that we don't have a better option than him available. Ayew up top until the 2 proper strikers are fit again and send Calleri to the boot room for some work better suited to his skills.

Critical win at a critical time, same again next week and we are probably safe. The rebuild needs to be considered and surgical in the summer. Marquee signings aren't going to happen let's get some more quality to build on and ship out the no hopers.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Coops wrote:....I have been critical of Byram but he was outstanding yesterday. Ginge too, was like Ginger Pele of old, he put his body on the line to make sure they didn't get through.
I think we may have turned the corner yesterday.
Byram is improving game by game. Ginge never gives less than 100% and his comittment to the cause is unquestionable - it is his effort and sheer will to win that endears him. I really hope we retain his services, there is always a place for a player like Collins.

As for turning a corner, not sure about that but I think we are now safe, just about.
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

Think people are being a bit harsh on Calleri, he played a massive part in the goal if you watch it again he drags the two cb's away allowing Kouyate the space to run into and hit the shot. Thought he worked his b*llocks off ok what you really want him to do put (put it in the back of the net) he didn't but overall thought he done ok.

Two fullbacks mom for me.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DODGYDAL wrote:Think people are being a bit harsh on Calleri, he played a massive part in the goal if you watch it again he drags the two cb's away allowing Kouyate the space to run into and hit the shot. Thought he worked his b*llocks off ok what you really want him to do put (put it in the back of the net) he didn't but overall thought he done ok.

Two fullbacks mom for me.

Yep, I thought the same. Granted he was shy in front of goal (which I put down to confidence more than anything) but everything else I thought he was spot on and that he run himself into the ground. Not only did he play his part in the goal but he was also heavily involved making things happen the other end which Ayew almost scored from good work by him. Coming off the bench late in the first half I thought he coped well under a lot of pressure to score.