West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (08/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: West Ham United v Swansea City: Match Thread

Post by bowltorious »

Am I the only one that thinks Byram has been pretty decent everytime he has played? A lot of comments seem to suggest this was the only time he has played well.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Monkey Magic wrote:How was Randolph today? Objectively, I mean
Looked poor again

Got awfully under a cross late in second half, flappng at it and needing Collins (I think ) to hook it off the line.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Valuable 3 points.

Although he took the goal very well, I thought Kouyate was off the pace today. I thought he missed a fair few tackles, however he did show us how good he can be at bringing us up the pitch.

Lanzini has turned into such a consistently good player since Payet left. His consistency was questioned frequently last year, so it's great to see he has worked on that.

Bryam and Collins were good today but Fonte seemed a liability again (IMO). Masuaku a good game.

Where I thought Kouyate was under-par, I think Noble picked up his work and on a number of occasions brought us forward too.

I will have to echo the comments previously made that our severe lack of class up top was highlighted today. Arguably our top two strikers never made the pitch, however in my ideal world they would remain on the bench (& Sakho sold), so we need the serious investment in this area.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

bowltorious wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Byram has been pretty decent everytime he has played? A lot of comments seem to suggest this was the only time he has played well.
I was very impressed today. He did some nice work down the right flanks - clearly there's a good player there. Needs more prem time and the consistency will come, but I wouldn't say he's always been good
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

We were poor today , Swansea were worse not much else to say, one or two players looked slightly better one or two confirmed they should seek employment elsewhere next season.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Hopefully those 3 points are just about enough to keep us safe now.
Swansea need 9 points to overtake us from there last 6 games which is a big ask.
Thought Byram had his best game for us today, Madsuaku also was a rock today, and Collins was a warrior.
Calleiri worked hard and definitely put in a decent shift, but the easy chance he missed near to end made for a tense final 10 minutes. All round we deserved the win, they hardly created anything, very welcome 3 points :scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

upton o'good wrote:
Looked poor again

Got awfully under a cross late in second half, flappng at it and needing Collins (I think ) to hook it off the line.

Christ, I hoped I'd forget about that until you brought it up. The blokes allergic to dealing with crosses, no wonder we're so poor at set pieces with him there.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Funny football. If we had lost we would have been floating 2 points above relegation. Now we are 8 points above it. :scarfer:
We'd have been 3 points off it but point taken.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

61dicksey wrote:We were poor today , Swansea were worse not much else to say, one or two players looked slightly better one or two confirmed they should seek employment elsewhere next season.

Disagree, I thought in general we looked in control and kept them at bay leaving Randolph little to do and were a threat going forward. We deserved at least another goal. Fabianski made a blinding save to prevent Ayew getting on the scoresheet. Considering the huge pressure we were under today, I really did think we played well.
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

A win is a win and whatever way you look it, it was fully deserved as we were the better team.

Snodgrass is looking completely hopeless after what I thought looked like a promising first couple of games. Calleri despite his shocking miss, I thought done ok. Carroll clearly wasn't really fit to play and was only gonna be used in an emergency given the magnitude of the game. Sakho on the evidence of weds night was nowhere near match fit. I'm not sure what people expect bilic to do....

One thing that was clear today is that there is a large number of our players that simply aren't good enough. Some of the in play decision making is shocking. I'm not quite sure what the manager can do about brainfarts in the middle of games. Swansea were poor and we really should have killed that game off and made it more comfortable.

It's funny how the bilic out brigade seem to be very prominent during games on here and Twitter, yet while at the games you hear mostly vocal support for the manager. Says a lot for me.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

14 shots to 4
6 on target to 1

still let's talk about how poor we were.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Decent enough attempt without any proper striker available, if we had a couple fit would have probably won by a few more.

One of the better atmospheres as well today... although the heat must have got to people as saw two arguments in the 1966 seats today, normally too busy stamping their feet :D

Love the chants for Bilic as sticks a massive two fingers up at that little toad Sullivan

Only concern is we need so many players next season, have some real crap in the squad without much sell on value and the wrong age.

Probably a minimum of a GK, RB, CB, CM, LW and two Strikers and that's if we don't lose anyone decent
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Yea i thought it was a boring game that we played suprisingly well in, some good passages of play moving the ball around in midfield. Take away the nerves and we would have dominated. Both full backs did there jobs perfectly which is probably the first time we can say that in over a year and half.

We've been here before though, picked up a good result and then gone into the next game looking lost, really hope we can push on and end the season strong. Every place higher we finish from here will only help in the summer.
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:How the hell was there 56.000 plus there today. the sea of empty seats was easy to spot, Lies . lies and more lies the board are absolutely abysmal.

Byram was motm for me overcame a lot of nerves to put in a solid display,

What's the news on Collins looked like he pulled a hamstring in added time.

Generally good performance - couple of shaky moments though. On balance I think Masuaku was even better.
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

61dicksey wrote:We were poor today , Swansea were worse not much else to say, one or two players looked slightly better one or two confirmed they should seek employment elsewhere next season.
I thought we played well. competent striker and we win the game with ease.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Given the side we fielded it was almost not bad I thought. Lack of quality all over the shop pretty evident though today. Collins MOTM for me with decent performances from Lanzini and the full backs. Thought Snodgrass tracked back and provided good cover when he was on. But boy, do we need a clear out and 3-4 top players.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Fank thuck for that : Sunderland and Middlesbrough pretty much done. I genuinely felt that last berth was between us and Swansea. You far-king beauties West Ham we should be safe now
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

It was a Collins display not unlike last season when him and Ogbonna were almost alternating MOTM performances. Think we should shift Fonte in the summer, he's on solid wages and Collins offers us more heart which we need at the moment. Ogbonna and Reid will be fine, really hope oggy can come back from his operation with confidence.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

do wonder what reid and ogbonna will look like between two functional full backs.

when a ball is played down the line, especially with a bit of bounce on it, i feel far confident that arthur won't let his man take the piss like has happened to aaron time and again.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

No sooner than I saw that team sheet, it was obvious to me that was the way Bilic intended to win that game. Today, it came off. Was there a horse in the Grand National this afternoon, called 'Lucky Boy' ? Either way, I'll give him credit for that one, his plan worked, although it wouldnt have against anyone even slightly better than Swansea