West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (08/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: West Ham United v Swansea City: Match Thread

Post by James P »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I agree smuts...fantastic night. Enjoy...

https://m.youtube.com/?hl=en-GB&gl=GB#/ ... EUogMp6oi4
How young does Lou Macari look in that!
what the dickens

Post by what the dickens »

Randolph 6 Byram 7 Collins 7 Fonte 6 Masuaku 7* Noble 6 Kouyate 7 Lanzini 6 Snodgrass 5( Feghouli 6), Ayew 6 (Fernandes), Antonio 6 (Caleri 5)
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

what the dickens wrote:Randolph 6 Byram 7 Collins 7 Fonte 6 Masuaku 7* Noble 6 Kouyate 7 Lanzini 6 Snodgrass 5( Feghouli 6), Ayew 6 (Fernandes), Antonio 6 (Caleri 5)
Very harsh on Lanzini I feel, and light on Randolph who had the worse cleansheet goalkeeper performance I've seen.

Had Calleri or Ayew been able to finish then Lanzini and Byram would have some assists. We need that striker
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

GaryP wrote:Looking at that line up we are ****ed.

I do hope someone can quote this later when I am wrong :D
claret parrot wrote: Happy to obllge Wor Gazza
Thumbs up thingy
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Whilst we won, we got lucky in that Swansea were utter garbage today.

5 of our 6 Home wins being 1-0, some of those could have gone our way/their way, so sadly, I do think our league position is a bit flattering, just like last season.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

brooking_1980 wrote:Whilst we won, we got lucky in that Swansea were utter garbage today.

5 of our 6 Home wins being 1-0, some of those could have gone our way/their way, so sadly, I do think our league position is a bit flattering, just like last season.
Today and other days would not have been 1-0 if we had a proper striker.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Phew.
That was like an out of body experience. Don't think anyone was better today for West Ham than James Collins. To put it bluntly I'm not a fan of Collins as a defender but I felt he had a superb game today and did some truly match-saving things (blocks, clearances, cover) which he must get credit for.
Swansea are a poor side and so a win was the only result acceptable, and while we were not convincing we got there. I'm hoping next season changes are made to the stadium that'll give us and the team a feeling of home, because from what I see it feels like a neutral ground.

8 points clear from relegation with 6 to play. Next week we are away to Sunderland that could seal our safety and destroy any chance of theirs. :crest:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

thejackhammer wrote:
Today and other days would not have been 1-0 if we had a proper striker.
-
Well as Sunderland are going down, I'll take Defoe please. Won't cost the Earth and is proven PL striker.

Back on topic....
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

We looked good on MOTD. That'll do :scarfer:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I'll take the 3 points but the way some of you are banging on about it, it was a clinical, surgical win.

It was far from it, even up to injury time.

The midfield were missing, Randolph's distribution was pony, Byram is a dirty little **** that will get sent off, our front line couldn't finish their dinner and overall most of our players looked disinterested,

All I can conclude is that most of you look at a win and think we played well. We didn't and most I talked to thought the same.

As I said I'll take 3 points because we need them. Good performance it wasn't.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Calleri looks like he can't finish his dinner.
Defoe on a free would be streets ahead of our current strike force.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

RichieRiv wrote:I'll take the 3 points but the way some of you are banging on about it, it was a clinical, surgical win.
Opinions eh. I came away & on here thinking there were actually too many "we were ****, but.." posts

I think for many the relief is just palpable & merely translating to over-exuberant positivity for what was in truth a scrappy contest. But any positivity after the last few weeks is well needed
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think people are ignoring how much pressure both teams were under as this was a true relegation 6 pointer. We were without Reid and Ogbonna : our 2 best centre backs, Creswell our first choice left back and hammer of the year contender the past two years, Obiang: our rock in midfield., We lost Antonio midway through the first half and neither Carroll or Sakho ( our two recognized strikers) were only available in case of emergency. In spite of that we managed 14 attempts on goal to their 6 and 6 on target to their one. If we had a decent striker, we would have won by a more convincing margin. Even the pundits and their manager admitted we were by far the better side.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I counted 5 occasions on which Fer arrived in our box without anyone tracking him .Had Swansea had the wit or ability to find him with a pass we would have lost today .

But they didn't and we didn't .
since86

Post by since86 »

Horrible game to watch, I guess it's no surprise given what was at stake so in that regard the win was the best thing about the 90 mins.
Thought Calleri was awful personally. Mis-placed passes, poor technique, and for a striker he never seemed to attack the box. Anyway, sounds like Bilic had no choice but to bring him on. If so that shows that we have just one fit first-team forward at the club, which for a Premier League side is shocking. They better get their act together over the summer and bring in significant quality or we are effed for next season.
Thought Lanzini was easily MOTM today, although Ginge and Byram had quality games too.
Best moments for me were when we saw an insight into the squad's temperament and how much it means to them. Snodgrass looked so angry with himself when he was subbed (which he should have cos he was poor) and loved seeing the team's reaction to Byram's late block. Will do wonders for his confidence.
Another huge game at Sunders next. Shouldn't get complacent so I hope, and am sure, Bilic will do the business and bring us a result.
:scarfer:
sw3hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sw3hammer »

I'm away so no access to motd.
Don't suppose anyone has got a link to the highlights or just the goal?
Much appreciated, cheers all. Well happy this evening for the first sat in a while!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

e17 wrote:I think for many the relief is just palpable & merely translating to over-exuberant positivity for what was in truth a scrappy contest. But any positivity after the last few weeks is well needed
We were ****. But a **** team that wins, is not a team that goes down.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

We didn't set the world alight nor did I expect us too but we were miles better than them. They are definitely the worst team we have played at home this season.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The celebrations at the end were OTT, to say the least. Two sh*t teams giving a glimpse of Championship life.

We're so reliant on Lanzini it's frightening. Take him out and I dread to think where we'd be.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Funny football. If we had lost we would have been floating 2 points above relegation. Now we are 8 points above it. :scarfer:
-
And only 1 point off tenth !