Sunderland 2-2 West Ham Utd (15/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Graza »

James P wrote:How we're STILL scoring twice and not winning is beyond me.
It's scoring twice against a team with 0 goals from their last 7 games and failing to win that's the disturbing thing.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We definitely need better players, better tactics, a style of play that is not confusing for the players and dare I say it, a better manager.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Adrian hasn't made many errors, I'd wager he's up their with the best in the league. He has obviously done something or said he wants to go.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Usual 5 live saturday for me only this time with the added 'bonus' of being the commentary game. As if it wasn't driving me mad enough listening to Russel Osman continually referring to Ayew as Jordan Ayew then old butterfingers chucks away the points yet again....

I'd like to think 'respect the point' but bleedin hell fire,I usually read most of the match thread when I get in but feck it, I can't be arsed today.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Before the game I would've been happy with a point. But jesus Sunderland really are terrible. I thought Randolph was completely at fault for both of the goals conceded.

For their first goal it, he wasn't swamped with 6 players around him. Did his usual flapping routing. 2nd goal I don't know what he was thinking, but he's cost us 2 points.

Oh well, at least we're safe now. And the ginger pele scored :scarfer:
Ariksan
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ariksan »

ihateroeder wrote:No Randolph has made far more errors than Adrian
Adrian is a bold keeper and he sometimes commits himself to a certain situation where he is either a hero - but when it doesnt work out it can look very bad. Thats not to say though hat the situation wasnt tricky in the first place. It maybe happens half a dozen times a season and doesnt always end up in a goal. But because of his boldness he ends up with matchwinning performances.
From my outside view Randolphs blunders seem far more basic and thus worry me a lot more. Like not catching a cross that is conviniently in his area of control or not being vocal enough, or not setting up the defense correctly.
I'll have Adrian over Randolph any day.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

ihateroeder wrote:No Randolph has made far more errors than Adrian
no player in the league has made as many errors leading to goals as randolph. decent achievement given that he missed the first quarter of the season.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

Poor performance, even more disappointing to be leading twice and gifting them two goals. Can't blame Randolph's mistakes on Bilic, but you can blame him for selecting him. Maybe he couldn't drop him after last weeks clean sheet?

I don't want to change the manager, last season we were this season's Everton, this season we are Everton of last season. Bilic needs decent backing during the summer and let's see what happens next season. If Mancini or whoever Gold and Sullivan bring in doesn't get us above 7th after two seasons, do we twist again?

As much as this season has been frustrating I think Bilic has had a lot to deal with, injuries, signings not up to expectations, move to the London Stadium. I also think last season raised our own expectations.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

James P wrote: We let in bundles last season. It was only him scoring and creating enough that covered it up.

Fantastic team ethic didn't stop us having a defence like a sieve last year.

My issue with what you said was it heavily implied he carried us like we were a one man team, which I don't buy for a second. Last season was about more than just him carrying us and this season proved that only playing for himself and not the team when we needed him too.

Anyways f*** the lairy ****, he's history now and definitely not our future..
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

And doubtless we'll get Slav's post match interview saying how pleased he is and how well we played. No real point in sacking him now. Wouldn't give him another season though. Poor, poor choices and subs ov r the whole season.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Words used by the pundit to describe us: disjointed, vulnerable, passive, edgy.

Don't get why we are so fragile, so passive even when we're in control..... well, I suppose we would have won without the GK errors... but still.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Players doing just enough to keep us up but ensure the manager isn't here next season or lacking confidence?
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Sitting in a pub in Sunderland, wondering if Randolph might get a game at Right Back next week.

We were actually much the better team and but for the keeper would have won.

Great to see the fans at the game are still right behind Bilic.
traxop

Post by traxop »

MD_HM wrote:This crap about Sam's defensive solidness :lol:

When Bilic started it took good few games for the players (defenders) to get use to playing football, keeping possession and passing instead of just hoofing it out and there was a noticible change but it took them a while.
We also got to remember the personal we had the start of last season. We were blessed with 3 ball carrying midfielders in Payet, Lanzini and Zarate whom individually and collectively could dictate the pace at which we advanced the ball up field. We kept our shape as we moved up and down the pitch.

We weren't relying on the likes of Kouyate or Antonio whom despite being able to get up and down the pitch, hurt us because their runs don't often have an end product and only serves to leave gaps behind. We had more balance last season and we able to make use of the ball in the opposition's half just because we had the players that were extremely confident with the ball at feet.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mattyD wrote:Words used by the pundit to describe us: disjointed, vulnerable, passive, edgy.

Don't get why we are so fragile, so passive even when we're in control.....

Because we're soft as **** as a team.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Just on the train on the way back. Everyone fuming about that clown in goal. Someone owes us and all West Ham fans an explanation as to why he's still in goal. Clucking ridiculous
alkali
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by alkali »

We're missing Obiang and today Noble
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Bilic 'the nice guy' is a huge part of the problem. We like him, would gladly let him kip over after a few pints and a Ruby. He 'gets' West Ham, but it aint enough.

How many on here with what they know about football would do worse? Byram is a walking red card as many have suggested, Randolph is not good enough, the recruitment is abject bordering on a disgrace.

Seriously, could any of us do any worse?!

I think therein lies the frustration.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Just got back to where we are staying. Good day out despite being hungover as f*** after a night out in Sunderland with Rocket where our one abiding memory was a man with a mullet doing a cartwheel across the floor. :lol:

Actually thought we played well for the first hour or so except for that utter clueless clown we have on goal. We certainly don't look fit which is a worry as we always start to fade in the 30 mins or so.

Disappointing season that now appears to be done. Let's just get started on next years I say.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

No Antonio, Noble, Byram, Reid, Obiang for the next game and can't see us winning any more games (maybe the odd draw if we're lucky) .Its bizarre because virtually every individual mistake has been punished with a goal. So unless Swansea can suddenly go on a winning run , we're safe but you never know with us because we live in the 'Twilight Zone'.