West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Where were Snodgrass and Feghouli? Both injured

I did feel sorry for Calleri. He tried heard but things just didn't come off and he was very isolated first half as we played very very deep and didn't really get forward much. It was a back 7 for a lot of the time he was on the pitch.

Enjoyed Ayew's commitment. Think he will be a very good player for us next season
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The problem I found with Calleri, was although I think he does well with his movement and gets in the right areas, when he does receive the ball he doesn't really know what he wants to do with it. He also needs to pound the gym hard to win more of his one on one battles with centre halves in this League. He struggles to win his duels and is much like Zaza in that regard.

For all the effort he has put in, I'm afraid it's not enough to keep him and I for one have seen enough now to realise he ain't for us going forward. A less physical La Liga would suit him more in a midtable side.

Agreed regarding Ayew. I've not been one who doesn't like the player and think he adds a lot of professionalism and experience to the side with pace to burn and an eye for goal. One moment that really impressed me off the back of him actually losing the ball high up the pitch initially, was to then see him track his mistake back to help out Arthur deep at left back position. He weren't prepared to just watch his team mates trying to clear up his own mess and made amends for his initial error late in the game. Little things like that, make all the difference for me when I see a team playing for one another, the kind of thing Payet would have turned his nose up at doing this season.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

A solid defensive display in a tricky fixture. Going into the game I was convinced we'd get beaten so I'd of taken a dull 0-0 before a ball was kicked as it's an important point.

Fonte, Ginge, Reid all solid. Lukaku was well policed.

Glad to have Adrian back between the sticks although he did look at sea in one incident.

Masuaku possibly had his best game for us, so did Nordtviet.

Fernandes slotted in on the right quote nicely. I do rate him and think him and Ayew are the pick of our summer signings.

As I said, pleased with the point. We had a deplested team out, our form has been below average this season, Everton have been flying and pretty much had all their first team available.

I'll take that.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I cannot agree with this,post match,Ayew"love in" - with the exception of a few runs and being in the right place occasionally,games seem to pass him by and he is nowhere near "our most expensive player ever"!
For a "second striker" he needs to be able to play off Lanzini or main striker and very really does - if he could put half the effort and committment Collins does, he would be some player,imo.Our Welsh warhorse was my motm yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by Nordveit in his best position!
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Lukaku didn't score!! That almost feels like a win in itself.

Tough, well earned point. Still can't wait for this season to end though.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Good game, great result, Ginger Pele mom, run close by Arthur and Nordy, who were both excellent along with Reid, Fernandez, fonte and Adrian, an enjoyable day, a good point, and Lukaku didn't score, the bookies must have had it off :lol:
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Does anyone know why Snodgrass and Feghouli didn't even make the bench for this match?
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Thought that was a decent display from a severely weakened side.

Nordveidt grew into the game and got better and better, Arthur looked quality going forward and with a decent striker in the box a couple of his excellent crosses would have been rewarded with a goal.

The good thing for me was the 100% commitment from every player, though obviously this bought to be a given it has not seemed to be the case in the past few weeks. Even Calleri, who i don't think is anywhere near PL level gave 100%, though one has to wonder where we would be in the table if we had invested properly at the start of the season in a striker than can get 12/15 goals a season and play 80% of the games.

Vital point with Hull and Swansea winning.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

libero wrote:Does anyone know why Snodgrass and Feghouli didn't even make the bench for this match?

Injured i think.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I enjoyed the game and think both players and management deserve credit considering the amount of absentees. The effort and commitment of the players was appreciated by the crowd.

Adrian (6) - Glad to see him back, nice and vocal but had nothing to do. Got away with one after that mis-kick in the early part of the game
Fonte (6) - Still finding his feet but was solid throughout albeit with a terrible and needless late challenge that got him his booking. Would like to see him bring the ball out more, especially when part of a back three
Reid (6) - Great anticipation to see him in front of his man and cleanly win the ball however his distribution was poor throughout
Collins (7) - See Reid although the Ginger Pele was up against Lukaku more
Arthur (8 MOTM) - Great energy down the left flank, intelligent in knowing when to go forward and when to stay and a couple of great runs to the byline
Fernandes (7) - Replicated Arthur's energy down the other side, pushed Baines back and looked good in tight situations. Must and will improve on his decision making
Lanzini (8) - Joy to watch, as usual. Glides past players with tremendous balance and makes things happen
Kouyate (6) - Sloppy in posesion but strong in the tackle. We need that height and strength in the middle
Nordveidt (7) - Grew into the game after a nervy start, making some great interceptions and spraying the ball nicely either side. Deserves a prolonged run of games in his natural position
Ayew (6) - All fart, no ****. Ran around a lot but did little
Calleri (4) - Laughable movement, weak and poor control. Considering he's on loan and the chances of signing him are zero we should not be bothering with him
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Well, we were very solid at the back and extremely lightweight up front. At times though we had them on the ropes, but failed to capitalise when the moment came.
Lanzini is growing into the role with every game. He is head and shoulders above the rest.

I thought Nordveit did well after a very shaky start and Ayew played his best game so far.

Can't complain - we stopped Lukaku from scoring.

A bit dull though overall though. A game which BFS would have been proud of.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Listened on radio but having seen MOTD there were certainly moments. At the last when Fonte might have headed it back to Ginge who could have buried it + Ginge's header earlier. Ok he was lucky with the shirt-pulling as well!

What a win that would have been
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

We just looked a lot more committed than for a long time, Collins giving everything, felt better having Reid back, and I feel the defence seemed more confident with Adrian who looked assured! we still have some weak links from players who joined us recently, three are not looking simply good enough.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

We just never look like scoring many with the at the back. Full backs need to play higher up the pitch, and having Sakho, Lanxini, Antonio would help.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Really happy with a point from that game. Seriously can't believe how bad Everton were though. Absolutely non existent.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I think a recurring theme on here is that we kept good shape, discipline and showed some confidence, something we have lack for most of the season. The simple reason is that everyone was playing in their natural and preferred positions. Playing square pegs in round holes inevitably upsets the equilibrium and confidence, often resulting in clueless and hapless football. You can cite injuries but blame has to be put squarely on an unbalanced squad and the age old striker/right back shortage as well as the under utilising of our youth talent.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

Agree with a couple other posters in saying that the Everton fans were really poor yesterday , I couldn't work it out as at the Boleyn they used to be pretty decent & loud. I know it was a 0-0 yet I'm in 127 and couldn't recall them even singing 1 song, the quietest away crowd this Season for me.

Our support was actually pretty decent yesterday considering we were watching a Nil Nil.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I've been Andre Ayew a lot closer recently and I actually think he's been a pretty decent signing (money aside).

His positional sense is clever and he links play really well. Also has an eye for goal.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just watched MOTD. Have to say we were rather fortunate with that James Collins penalty incident.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I like the way Ayew changes direction of his runs and sort of does this Lurch from the Addams Family body posture thing.