West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by Aceface »

Felt exactly like the Stoke game at the end of last season - a Payet-less side creating plenty of chances but having no-one capable of finishing.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Status Kev wrote:Masuaku's best game for us. Collins was superb again. Lanzini busy as usual but I felt Everton were there for the taking yesterday and it once again highlighted our lack of a top striker.
Still it's a point and Lukaku didn't score.
Worryingly though Swansea, Bournemouth and Hull all won and as I type Palace are winning as well.
Top strikers will only score goals if they get the service, Calleri has clear limitations but did he miss chances on Saturday? The only thing we lacked on Saturday was creativity, but it was a great all round performance, the players all seemed to know what their jobs were and stuck to the task and for the first time in Lord knows how long we looked solid. I actually enjoyed watching it.
Players knowing what the system is and faithfully sticking to that system is the sign of a good team, its also the reason I have had my doubts about Byram, Feghouli and Antonio (there I've said it), all three of them can be like loose cannons at times and tend to get caught out of position or the wrong side of the player they are marking, its like they've never been coached. This in turn puts the rest of the team under pressure and that's when mistakes occur.
Fitting the likes of Antonio back in the side will be an issue.
Saturday was the first glimpse of what might come and what we may have been missing this season.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It wasn't even a particularly good performance IMHO
We competed for sure, and stopped Everton playing,but created the square root of f*** all

Was a very dull and uninspiring game, and shows how poor we have been if that is held up as a top performance
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Plenty of chances?

Were we watching the same game?

It is utterly dreadful with the only chances of note being Lanzini having a shot blocked and Kouytae putting one wide from outside the box.

A game to forget.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Aceface wrote:Felt exactly like the Stoke game at the end of last season - a Payet-less side creating plenty of chances but having no-one capable of finishing.
Plenty of chances? was I at the same game?
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Billydinho wrote:Plenty of chances?

Were we watching the same game?

It is utterly dreadful with the only chances of note being Lanzini having a shot blocked and Kouytae putting one wide from outside the box.

A game to forget.
I really enjoyed the game and thought we were by far the better team. If Calleri had confidence or we shot at the right moments we would have won the game comfortably.

Everton are 6th in the league and we made them look terrible
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Blimey, just read the oppo view. They make Spurs fans look like humble custodians of the game.
I look forward to Evertons league and cup double winning season next year. Followed by a decade of European dominance. Dickheads.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:It wasn't even a particularly good performance IMHO
We competed for sure, and stopped Everton playing,but created the square root of **** all

Was a very dull and uninspiring game, and shows how poor we have been if that is held up as a top performance
I think there are a few caveats here though. Our usual results / performances against Everton (and Lukaku) being one but also, and more importantly, our list of absentees:no Ogbonna, Byram, Noble, Antonio, Carroll, Snodgrass, Feghouli.

The lack of strength on our bench, however, shows how far we'll need to move forward when the transfer window opens.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Billydinho wrote:
Embarrassing isn't it.

Especially since Everton are probably in the bracket we should be competing with.
With this season's form and half of our first XI missing, getting a clean sheet against a decent side was an achievement. Hasn't been much to celebrate either this season. I was satisfied enough, celebrating is probably a bit far
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

What did Adrian do, when he came to collect the ball with his studs about 4 foot in the air, anyone got a replay? Looked absurd.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

This from an Evertonian who went to the game. (From a sport forum I look at). I thought it was quite sad to read..

As for the ground, it's awful. I don't even think it's nice to look at. I'm not a big fan of the Emirates, but it looks great, the seats are great, facilities great. It's a great looking stadium but it's too modern for my taste.

The London stadium looks like concrete poles with no character and it's horrendous inside. The gap between the top part of the stand where we were and the bottom section of fans is enormous.

So far from the action you don't feel involved, can't even hear the refs whistle and it just feels like they've fudged it to accomdate football. Upton Park was one of if not my favourite away ground to go to, probably because of how often we won..., but it was a great ground with a really good feel inside it. Genuinely think thats the worst ground I've been to to watch a football match (aside from Dinamo Bucharest!), I really feel for their fans knowing they are stuck with that for years to come.