West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by Upton Carp »

Anybody got links to watch the whole match or even extended highlights. Was away in the wilds of Scotland and could not get decent enough wifi spot to watch a stream. Be back home tonight and it would be nice to watch the game as I have not missed one all season.

I truly expected a thrashing so it must have been a good one to watch.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

A game where Kouyate's limitations and strengths were both on show. Technically poor, but mobile and all over the place. Became a real outlet and physical presence higher up the pitch.

I like the balance of our defence this way, but there are tweaks needed. Possibly has to be Kouyate at the back, Lanzini deeper alongside Obiang and some blistering pace up top.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Upton Carp wrote:Anybody got links to watch the whole match or even extended highlights. Was away in the wilds of Scotland and could not get decent enough wifi spot to watch a stream. Be back home tonight and it would be nice to watch the game as I have not missed one all season.

Two mimutes should cover the highlights. It wasn't the most riveting game in history, esp the first half
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Upton Carp wrote:Anybody got links to watch the whole match or even extended highlights. Was away in the wilds of Scotland and could not get decent enough wifi spot to watch a stream. Be back home tonight and it would be nice to watch the game as I have not missed one all season.

Extended highlights may be asking a bit much ;)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Like others have said, Collins and Masuaku were excellent, with Reid, Lanzini and Nordtveit close behind. Like ashbanki, I don't get the Ayew love-in. I thought he was half a yard off the pace and had a poor first touch, too many promising moves ended when he got the ball.

One of my perennial annoyances was evident again yesterday, namely the lack of movement off the ball. Many was the time one of our defenders had the ball and apparently dithering with it, when I looked further up the pitch I'd see four or five players standing still, no movement whatsoever. No wonder Fonte in particular kept waving his arms in a "Who wants the ball? Where are the runners?" way.

Nordtveit was a revelation, it's amazing what happens when you play in your best position. He could be our Kante if he gets an extended run there next season.

The disappointments for me were Calleri, Kouyate and Ayew

Still, Lukaku's confidence must be shot now and we'll get him for peanuts in the summer (OK Sulli, you can wake up now).
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Nordtveit being our Kanté is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever read on here.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Billydinho wrote:Nordtveit being our Kanté is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever read on here.
I thought it was a spelling mistake; close though.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Masuaku's best game for us. Collins was superb again. Lanzini busy as usual but I felt Everton were there for the taking yesterday and it once again highlighted our lack of a top striker.
Still it's a point and Lukaku didn't score.
Worryingly though Swansea, Bournemouth and Hull all won and as I type Palace are winning as well.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:
I thought it was a spelling mistake; close though.
:lol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The important thing is that we carry on like that, and not just regress back to being crap in the next game. If we played like that every game, we won't have any worries - especially as Sakho is more than likely going to be getting more and more minutes. Well until the next falling out anyway.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

mjustincredible wrote:Agree with a couple other posters in saying that the Everton fans were really poor yesterday , I couldn't work it out as at the Boleyn they used to be pretty decent & loud. I know it was a 0-0 yet I'm in 127 and couldn't recall them even singing 1 song, the quietest away crowd this Season for me.

Our support was actually pretty decent yesterday considering we were watching a Nil Nil.
Quietest set of fans I've heard all season in 113.

Some of their fans lost it upon the final whistle, lost his head after being goaded by a few of our lot! Not sure exactly why he would overreact so much, but it was not a pretty performance all round for Everton yesterday.

Scouse bird on the tube said it was the worst game she'd ever seen live. Was also nice of her to point out that we were also ****...

From what I can gather, Everton fully expected to be going back up north with 3 points. A certainty in many of their eyes. Nice to show them up occasionally.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Roll on end of the season, what a drab game, but a much needed point so not all bad.

Still think we need a couple more points to be 100%.

Off to Stoke, never sure what you are going to get from them, so maybe another dogged display and a point.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

That was 200 appearances up for Winston on Saturday, deserves a mention!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... of_players
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:That was 200 appearances up for Winston on Saturday, deserves a mention!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... of_players

Our most consistent defender during that time.
Barnet Steve
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Barnet Steve »

I was keeping an eye on this on Soccer Saturday, and they didn't do a single update in the second half! I thought Charlie Nicholas had lost his link or been taken ill. They didn't throw across to him once!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Thought it was a good game for our maligned signings from last summer - Masuaku, Fernandes, and Nordtveit all impressive. Loved to see Nordtveit putting himself about, he was crucial in breaking up the Everton play for us and something we have kind of lacked in the middle this season in terms of bite.

Quite happy with the result, but with a lot of the teams below us winning yesterday we're still not out of the woods unfortunately. At least one point was better than none. We're going to need to put one of Stoke or Burnley away before the end of the season to be guaranteed safety, or else we're relying on Swansea not picking up more than two wins.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Never have I seen a 0-0 draw at home to an upper mid table team so celebrated or praised from the official club news outlets.

:?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

a good performance and as 0-0 go it was a good game.

Did show our lack of a decent striker.
callerei never looked like scoring.
ayew poor touch and movement.
sakho was more threatening in his 25 mins than those two. If only he could stay fir and normal !

same team for me against stoke with sakho from the bench second half to build fitness. I would play fletcher instead of callerei.

Noble on the bench
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

On a separate note how poor were the Everton fans? Worst away support I've ever 'heard'
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

morganwhu wrote:Never have I seen a 0-0 draw at home to an upper mid table team so celebrated or praised from the official club news outlets.

:?
Embarrassing isn't it.

Especially since Everton are probably in the bracket we should be competing with.