West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by Sauce! »

M*A*R*C wrote:
Answer = 6 * 10 ** 23
Avogadro's constant?
fandabidicksy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by fandabidicksy »

Arthur can be left wing for years.
Quick feet, pace and engine.

I like him. Crowd favourite in the making
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

the pink palermo wrote:A good solid team performance today to gain a point against an Everton side that has recently been in fire .

Adrian had nowt to do all afternoon , mainly for my money due to outstanding efforts from Collins and Nordtveit .What pleased me most about Nords performance was his positional discipline .Everton's much lauded Barkley barely had a sniff all afternoon, comfortably taken care of by Nordtveit ,while Collins and Reid took care of a disappointing Lukaku .

Going forward we were not so good , and I can only imagine Bilics selection of Calleri was either as a reward for working hard in training or to remind the Chairman of his limitations , and the summer will bring the need for a significant upgrade .

Overall though the Manager may find himself looking back on this match as the one that kept him in a job , the point may be the difference come the end of May .
I agree 100% with you Mr P. Much better shape and application. Just missing that final bit of quality up front. Nord and Collins joint MoM for me. Only downside for me was bizarre substitution of putting Creswell on right midfield!
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Mr.Miklosko wrote:
Ha, that reminds me of an amusing remark I overheard in the stadium today - (On Masuaku and Fernandes) "I seriously f*cking hate their stupid haircuts. Just concentrate on ya football"

1. Imagine getting that irate about someone else's hair
2. Hilarious that he thinks a player's "unusual' hairstyle could actually detract from them playing their best football
Funny that as we said that they probably decided to do it before hand and it showed good team spirit.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Although Adrian had little to do generally I did think he made a big contribution with the way he marshalled the back 3 and others when defending... he seemed pretty vocal and supportive when tackles and blocks were made...

I think the Cresswell sub was forced by Kayoute taking a knock in the early part of game and playing on as much as he could before the subbing..

Gold was glowing tonight with his comments about the team and Ginge in particular plus Arthur etc and Slav...also singled out Nord and made the comment... that it was good to see him getting a chance in his natural position... so I think they too see what we see when it comes to positions ...
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

nickkarkie wrote:I think the crowd appreciated the performance and that reflected in the support given by the crowd back
Really seemed like a home game today.
Agreed. Despite the lack of goals I enjoyed the game, we were the better side, albeit not many shots on target.

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good today. all it takes is a bit of commitment from the players, avoiding mistakes and avoiding conceding early (although Adrian got lucky early on) and pressing forward and the crowd will respond.

Well done to the guy who had everyone laughing and singing in the Gents opposite block 229 at half time.

Ginge had a great game and cemented his status by coming over at the end, climbing into the seats, having a few selfies, and giving his shirt to a youngster. Arthur was terrific, Norveidt not terrible, Callieri was the only player who was ineffective today. Sakho got a surprisingly warm reception when he came on given his poor attitude, but that may have been relief that Callieri was going off.

We deserved to win, I expected more of Everton, I thought they were poor, but let's give our team credit for making them look poor, and clearly Billc's tactics with a makeshift side were OK. I also thought Everton's support was very quiet. all the tickets looked to have been sold but we never heard a peep from them, and we are not far away.
Aloysius
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Aloysius »

That's the best we have been set up all season. Nice to see us organised and players in their correct positions. When you look at Nordveit how many times have we played him in his proper position until today? I thought he was very tidy and the 3 at the back was a great call by Bilic. Shame we didn't have enough up top to press home the advantage but the point is we aren't as bad as what some have been saying
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Masuaku and Lanzini looked so positive and determined with the ball, the defence looked pretty steady too. Nordtveit showed he is decent when in the right position. Still toothless in that final third but that can be fixed with some smart business this summer.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Interesting game. Lovely to see the 3-5-2 used properly with mobile wingbacks. It's looking at this today that makes should help people see why Slav fancied Antonio as a wingback, even if it isn't absolutely ideal for him.

Was a game that showed strengths in some of our more recent signings that we haven't seen enough of. Suggests they will grow into the side further, and we need additions not surgery in the summer.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Sauce! wrote: Avogadro's constant?
Indeed the same value, but purely by chance.

Similarly:

Avocado's constant (the number of recipes involving avocados published in the Guardian in any one calendar year).

Masuaku's constant (the number of crosses looped into the box by a West Ham fullback or winger without a forward available to convert it within any given season).

It is one of Nature's strange quirks that these are all equal to 6 * 10 ** 23.

See also:
Byram's Uncertainty Principle.
The Noble Conjecture.
Bilic's Last Theorum
and Carroll's Cat (that is simultaneously fit and injured according to the Sullivan Interpretation of Quantum Football).
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

It must have been a dull match for the neutral, but I kind of enjoyed it today, and going by this seasons low standards....... I thought we were not to shabby.

The defence were solid and Lukaku never even got a sniff. Collins was MOTM for me, Reid was top notch, Fonte was improved, and Creswell should be keeping the bench warm for a while if Masuaku keeps playing like that. Good to see Nordveit have a solid game in his more natural position, especially as he was booed by some of our own fans.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Apologies if already covered. Where was Snodgrass today?
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

fandabidicksy wrote:Arthur can be left wing for years.
Quick feet, pace and engine.

I like him. Crowd favourite in the making
He's got the skills and attitude. Like him a lot.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

kayahammer wrote:
He's got the skills and attitude. Like him a lot.
Indeed.

Having Arthur & Cressy at LB is fab. I like them both.

Now we need to get the same situation sorted at RB: two top players, two top blokes, both fighting for the shirt.

Perhaps Byram can be one of them, but I'm uncertain...
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:Masuaku and Lanzini looked so positive and determined with the ball, the defence looked pretty steady too. Nordtveit showed he is decent when in the right position. Still toothless in that final third but that can be fixed with some smart business this summer.
Well played.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Dammit. :fsake:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The only thing lacking was the goal threat. callerei never looked likely whereas sakho when he came on showed what we have missed. IF he can makethe last few games we will finally have a threat that is pacey,presses from the front and knows where the goal is.

masuaka was my MOTM fast skillful and they couldnt handle him. loved him driving forward.

Ginge very close second. warrior like performance. Lovely touch at the end took time to come over and give his shirt away.

great atmosphere in the bowl.long may it continue.

One scouse idiot in 127 who decided to verbally abuse a woman and a child. was very quickly put right by a few hammers. Sat still for the whole of the match ! Right idiot.

Next up at home is spurs and a chance to ruin their ambitions like last season and finally make the stadium feel like home with a famous victory ! COYI
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Apologies if already covered. Where was Snodgrass today?
And feghouli?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ginge my MotM.

Had Lukaku and others in his pocket all day long. He's really come back into form since getting back in the side. Gutted he couldn't find this form at the start of the season which would have helped solve an issue at the back.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

]
Burnley Hammer wrote:
Kouyate had a poor game according to the statistics. a 64% pass success - poor for a deep midfielder.

I've been banging this drum about Kouyates passing for donkies now. And yesterday was yet another good (bad) example of how technically limited he is as a passing footballer. He's one of the worst passers of a ball I've seen in a long time and also lacks vision. He seriously struggles with the game played all around him and often loses his bearings on the pitch. This is why I'm so keen for him to be used more as a Centre Half, midfielder 2nd.

This is why I don't want him in the middle of the park because moves either break down far too often with wasteful possession when we do get the chance to have it.

Will never fault his warrior spirit and battling qualities though. Can always rely on him to give his all, just against good opposition, you need more than that. It works better against the lesser teams when he doesn't have to rely so much on his passing and positioning.