West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

M*A*R*C

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by M*A*R*C »

jastons wrote: How many times have we said that this season ? In fact, how many times have we said that in the 20 years I've supported West Ham?
Answer = 6 * 10 ** 23
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Good solid performance today. Some important defending. I loved the 2 wingbacks with twin haircuts.
MOM is a difficult pick but has to be Ginge, he was everywhere, it means the world to him and him coming into the crowd to give a little kid his shirt was class, he is proper West Ham.
I was really impressed with Masuaku, that boy has some pace. Winston made some important challenges,. Lanzini was brilliant as ever. Nordtveit had the best game I have seen him play. I actually thought Calleri had a good game, you can't fault his movement and commitment.

All in all a well drilled performance and an enjoyable game. I went expecting a loss so was happy with the draw.

Also drove today for the first time, we went and had a Nandos afterwards, hardly any traffic back to Essex. I would definitely do it again if I am staying off of the beer.
cowelly2006

Post by cowelly2006 »

Lots of positives as many have mentioned. Masuaku was superb as was Collins. Reid and Fonte played well too.

Only negative for me is Calleri. I am not one for being abusive to our players but I'm sick of seeing him consistently not being good enough. There is no way he is better than Fletcher (not that I'm saying Fletcher is our saviour!).

I'd go as far to say it should be a sackable offence if he plays again!

Also... if people think Nordtveit played well it shows how much standards have dropped.
Last edited by cowelly2006 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

I thought Nordtviet done really well. I agree there was a couple of dodgy touches but I thought he shielded and broke the play up really well. Considering were he's come from this season I thought it was a great performance.
That was 100% the worst away support I've witnessed for a while. 237 were louder and most of us a clinically dead
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Good performance. I live in Nottingham, so was watching it streamed, and the commentators were so pro-Everton it was incredible.

Masuaku seemed to have a great game, and it was good to see another performance from him given some (most?) on here seemed to have for some reason written him off despite a promising start to the season.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I didn't think Calleri had a bad game today. He tries hard and his movement is spot on, it is his end product that lets him down.
But we do so badly need a striker, we would be comfortable top half.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Nordveit probably won more tackles this afternoon than any other midfielder in a game this year. His touch was poor on occasions but when he gave it away he looked to get it back not just watch the opposition run off him or bring them down for a yellow. Not a great game but he played his role in the most organised team performance I have seen this year. Couple of good 50 yard passes as well.

Ginger was a rock, far more the Collins of last season than earlier this. His programme interview which I read after the game had it spot on, he was playing below standard earlier in the season. Calleri is a nuisance to the opposition but no threat.

Fernandes played out of position and looked sound, I suspect he will turn out to be the pick of this years buys, he seems to have a real talent.

Cresswell looks again like having a job getting his place back as Matsuaku (?) was also excellent today.
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Went in the Langthorne after to have a beer. The cheering of the Chelsea goals made be sick to bottom of my stomach
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Barely noticed Nordtveit on the pitch, the sign of a good performance at CDM
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Purely statistically speaking......

Masuaku - 92% pass success, 100% tackle success.

Both Masuaku and Nordtveit made 4 successful tackles - the most of any West Ham player during the game. Unusually, Lanzini is in second place with 3 - joint with Collins. That's good to see.

Nordtveits pass success was 83%. Same as Lanzini.

Masuaku attempted 10 dribbles - twice as many as Lanzini who was in second place. He was successful with 7 of them.

Kouyate had a poor game according to the statistics. a 64% pass success - poor for a deep midfielder, and only 1 tackle.

Calleri not faring well at all. 63% pass success, 1 shot, and dispossessed 7 times. That's more than three times more than the person in second place - Ayew on 2.
Mr.Miklosko

Post by Mr.Miklosko »

Coops wrote:I loved the 2 wingbacks with twin haircuts.
Ha, that reminds me of an amusing remark I overheard in the stadium today - (On Masuaku and Fernandes) "I seriously f*cking hate their stupid haircuts. Just concentrate on ya football"

1. Imagine getting that irate about someone else's hair
2. Hilarious that he thinks a player's "unusual' hairstyle could actually detract from them playing their best football
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Kouyate had a poor game according to the statistics. a 64% pass success - poor for a deep midfielder.
Worst player on the pitch for us today (bar Calleri) - did very little. I think he's better at CB.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Very decent performance by us and I thought we were by far the better side. We were crying out for Carroll to get on the end of those early crosses and with a half decent striker we would have won that game comfortably.

I have tried to get to like Calleri and, in fairness, he chased and ran about quite a lot today. Apart from the fact that he can't pass, shoot or head the ball I guess he's ok and I reckon if he played another 50 games for us he wouldn't score a goal. Surely, as others have said, Fletcher deserves a go if Carroll and Sakho aren't fit.

Anyway on the positive front, Collins was immense today as was Masuaku and I thought Nordveit got better as the game went on.

Anyone know where Feghouli and Snodgrass were today?
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Thought we played well today in every part of the pitch apart from the final ball. Still think we did enough to win the game though.

We did get very lucky though, they had a stonewall pen not given for Ginge's shirt pulling on Williams.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Knighter10WHU wrote:]

Worst player on the pitch for us today (bar Calleri) - did very little. I think he's better at CB.
He played through an injury to be fair to him....
what the dickens

Post by what the dickens »

adrian 6 collins 7 fonte 7 reid 7 masuaku 8* fernandez 6 kouyate 6 nordvedt 7 lanzini 7 caleri 4 ayew 6

subs sakho 6

good team performance but factor in everton were below par
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Not saying we missed them too much but where the hell were Snodgrass and Feghouli
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

thejackhammer wrote:Barely noticed Nordtveit on the pitch, the sign of a good performance at CDM
Ross Barkley noticed him. In fact, I still think poor old Ross is in Nords' back pocket!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good solid team performance today to gain a point against an Everton side that has recently been in fire .

Adrian had nowt to do all afternoon , mainly for my money due to outstanding efforts from Collins and Nordtveit .What pleased me most about Nords performance was his positional discipline .Everton's much lauded Barkley barely had a sniff all afternoon, comfortably taken care of by Nordtveit ,while Collins and Reid took care of a disappointing Lukaku .

Going forward we were not so good , and I can only imagine Bilics selection of Calleri was either as a reward for working hard in training or to remind the Chairman of his limitations , and the summer will bring the need for a significant upgrade .

Overall though the Manager may find himself looking back on this match as the one that kept him in a job , the point may be the difference come the end of May .
Eastcoast
Location: Sunrise Coast - totscum hotspur its happened again!

Post by Eastcoast »

Enjoyed the game today, 1 striker short of a win.
As the bloke said next to me we thrashed em 0-0
Hopefully Sakho to start next week
Calleri not faring well at all. 63% pass success, 1 shot, and dispossessed 7 times says it all really. Hopefully last time we see him in the C & B.