Stoke City 0-0 West Ham Utd (29/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd match thread

Post by fmgod »

Reasonably good performance with baffling subs that nearly cost us the game. We still badly need a right back and striker but that's nothing new. Masauku impressive and Nord and Koyate with a nice balance. Calleri is a winger or attacking midfielder for me. Also we dodged two absolute bullets in Beharino and Shaqiri, one looks average the other just shoots every time he gets the ball and the wind blows him over, yeah he;ll score a screamer every 20 games but nothing consistent

Also credit to Collins, I thought he was finished but his came in recently and played half decently, and you can see his urge to win and passion on the pitch
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Swansea will not win 3 our of their last 4. I see them getting a maximum of 6 points. Even if Swansea did do the impossible, I see us getting at least a point at Turfmoor so we are fine.

They could easily beat Everton, Sunderland and WBA. Those 3 are very beatable
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i thought we played well in the parts of the match i saw , we just never had any real quality upfront ( again)

at least we've stopped gifting goals away, one day , we will buy a striker , i hope im alive to see it
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I'm not sure this makes us safe at all. Swansea will lose tomorrow and win their last 3 I reckon. 40 points. We need another point imo
You are joking ain't ya?
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'd be more worried if Swansea do manage to get 3 points at UTD. Until then.
harewood

Post by harewood »

Subs were fine. We lost our momentum when Masuaku came off and that was forced and we didn't really look like scoring in the second half. From Slav's perspective; realistically our position in the Prem is safe with that point, naturally he was more inclined to see it out rather than go for it.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

MD_HM wrote: Bottom line is if we had a proper striker; we would have had 6 points out of the last two games not just 2
That opinion relies on us signing a striker who scores 38 league goals a season and scores with every shot. Mythical.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Imagine he put on more attacking players then we lost 1-0. People would be saying "he should of closed the game brought on defensive minded players" lose lose situation for him
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Lostcoco wrote:Imagine he put on more attacking players then we lost 1-0. People would be saying "he should of closed the game brought on defensive minded players" lose lose situation for him
We went from dominating and looking the better team till he made the change of Ayew for Noble, it made us on the back foot for the rest of the game
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

The problem with this match was the lack of squad depth and injury prone players. If we had a proper striker we would have verb out of sight by 60 mins. We have to replace Salho and Carroll with better players who are able to play at least 30 matches a season.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

We lost all attacking intentions the moment Ayew was subbed by Noble. The whole ethos of the team changed to negative.
Noble has been a great servant but if this is the formation we are going to use I don't see where he fits in. He doesn't do the job Nordviet is doing, and he's too slow to be attacking. We jst lost all attacking intention and it's not Nobles fault he has lost whatever pace he had. Although during his enforced absence he's been practising waving his arms to good effect.

feel sorry for S,lav but he has now to reduce Noble to a not very often bit part player.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Maefteda wrote:I know no one will agree, but I think Calleri was one of our best players out there. Keeps running, holds the ball up well and creates a lot for his teammates with his runs. Obviously with his track record we bemoan the missed chances, but today it was just unlucky that he didn't score.

Calleri doesn't hold the ball up well, he's appalling at trying to hold the ball up. Too often I see him go to ground like a sack of **** failing time and again to keep his feet, let alone keep the ball. He's one of the most lightweight Strikers I've seen for us in a long time and it costs us vital possession in key areas of the pitch.

What he does do well which I'll agree with you on is that he works hard and gets into good areas of the pitch (when he isn't falling over) but as soon as he either loses the ball or gets it, he invariably makes the wrong decision or fluffs his lines altogether. It's Zaza MKII all over again. But he definitely wasn't one of our best players today. He was way behind in the queue of Adrian, Masuaku, Lanzini, Kouyate, Fonte, Collins, Reid.

As for that pathetic attempt at goal using the rabona when you've only got 1 goal to your name all season long, do f*** right off Calleri. That wasn't unlucky as you say, that was arrogance of the highest order only 7 yards out thinking he had an easy chance in front of an open goal. Seen enough, be good to finally get shot of him. I want Fletcher given the nod over him in future.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Unbeaten in four, Two clean sheets running. Safe from the drop with Spurs up next. Great end to the season. Really enjoying it. :scarfer:
Low aspirations and easily pleased! But I share your sense of relief. When you have been banging your head against a brick wall, no longer banging your head against a brick wall seems strangely marvellous.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Well done West Ham & Super Slav.

Another good away point and a clean sheet :scarfer:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Arthur just does more than Cresswell is capable of, turns out he was a great acquisition!

I saw a tweet by Supreme Leader UTJ which said Calleri missed an open goal with regards to the Rabona effort, if he would have taken that with his left it would have been the same outcome, however it still wasn't a guaranteed goal if he even knocked it left first. The screenshot posted up doesn't prove your point is accurate at all.

But that let that get in the way of a player bashing! what was refreshing was the people who disagreed with what you said.
Last edited by The Rebirth on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Exiledin cardiff wrote:We lost all attacking intentions the moment Ayew was subbed by Noble. The whole ethos of the team changed to negative.
Noble has been a great servant but if this is the formation we are going to use I don't see where he fits in. He doesn't do the job Nordviet is doing, and he's too slow to be attacking. We jst lost all attacking intention and it's not Nobles fault he has lost whatever pace he had. Although during his enforced absence he's been practising waving his arms to good effect.

feel sorry for S,lav but he has now to reduce Noble to a not very often bit part player.

Of course Noble takes a large slice of the blame. :lol:

That was all on Bilic and reflects bad on him not Noble, regardless of who he brought on for Ayew whilst Ayew continued to look threatening in front of goal. He should have left him on the pitch regardless.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

DDHammer wrote:
That opinion relies on us signing a striker who scores 38 league goals a season and scores with every shot. Mythical.
No it relies on us having a striker that can do more than run... one that can pass, control the ball and shoot maybe

In the last two matches a proper striker more than likely would have taken the chances Calleri missed and done better on the ball with possession

Not sure where your 38 games/goals are coming

We knew at the start of the last two transfer windows our only two were injury prone and awol... nothing has changed

They are still missing and we need proper strikers
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Lostcoco wrote:Imagine he put on more attacking players then we lost 1-0. People would be saying "he should of closed the game brought on defensive minded players" lose lose situation for him
I doubt hardly anyone woukd be saying that tbf
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Normally I think people over react to Slav's subs but today he gave up trying to win the game.

Calleri did well up until the point he hadto shoot. I still think Fletcher showed more in his two starts against the Manchester clubs, but also think Slav is protecting him.

Our solidity with this back 3 and Adrian gives me hope for next season, I'm just not sure what we want to do with Antonio in this formation.
Colours never run

I think there's an element of truth to that and probably part of his thinking, in fact I'm sure of it looking at who he exactly brought on by shoreing up the team so we didn't concede a sucker punch goal late on after all the hard work trying to win and not concede. 0-0 with still chances to score, justifies that if we look at it from cold light of day. In the back of Slavs mind he'll be thinking about not letting a valuable point slip when we are still technically trying to pull away from the relegation zone. He did the responsible thing, instead of being gun-Ho reckless which he has and quite rightly accused of in the past losing points late on. So I do understand his thought process thinking about it. It's frustrating to us fans because we all sniffed blood and 3 points but sometimes it's best to do the 'Allardyce' type thing and make sure of a respectable point when you really need points however they come about in the business end of the season.