Stoke City 0-0 West Ham Utd (29/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd match thread

Post by Diogenes »

sendô wrote:Glad with the point and a clean sheet. It's nice to see us defending and keeping goals out consistently again. We've pretty much secured safety now with the recent run of draws after the Swansea win.

Only in 15th but 3 points separate 8 teams 9th to 16th. Tighter than a nuns chuff. Personally I hope we finish 16th as a demonstration to the board that we need a decent level of investment over the summer. Given our remaining fixtures that's our likely final position.
I agree with your match assessment Sendo, but I think your last point will provide the board with the evidence to move Bilic on rather than release the purse strings.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2780 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

GaryP wrote:Dowie reckons Calleri put a shift in ? Not first half he didn't.
Must have been a night shift cos he did f*ck all this afternoon.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

pezza20 wrote:To be fair that result sees us completey safe.
Sees us just as safe as we were before kick off. If Swansea win 3 out of 4 they catch us.

Back to back games that were there for the taking. Clean sheet and a point in both are good, but the extra 4 points would have been lovely.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

sutts07 wrote:
Sees us just as safe as we were before kick off. If Swansea win 3 out of 4 they catch us.

Back to back games that were there for the taking. Clean sheet and a point in both are good, but the extra 4 points would have been lovely.
How many points has Randolph cost us this season?

We'd of been home and dry by now if it wasn't for those 2 gaffes at Sunderland.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Calleri doesn't hold the ball up well, he's appalling at trying to hold the ball up. Too often I see him go to ground like a sack of **** failing time and again to keep his feet, let alone keep the ball. He's one of the most lightweight Strikers I've seen for us in a long time and it costs us vital possession in key areas of the pitch.

What he does do well which I'll agree with you on is that he works hard and gets into good areas of the pitch (when he isn't falling over) but as soon as he either loses the ball or gets it, he invariably makes the wrong decision or fluffs his lines altogether. It's Zaza MKII all over again. But he definitely wasn't one of our best players today. He was way behind in the queue of Adrian, Masuaku, Lanzini, Kouyate, Fonte, Collins, Reid.

As for that pathetic attempt at goal using the rabona when you've only got 1 goal to your name all season long, do **** right off Calleri. That wasn't unlucky as you say, that was arrogance of the highest order only 7 yards out thinking he had an easy chance in front of an open goal. Seen enough, be good to finally get shot of him. I want Fletcher given the nod over him in future.[/quote]
Very well summed up.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

I only watched the game on a poor stream (which reminded me why I go to most away games) and hardly remember Nordveit touching the ball. Was it just me...or did he have a decent game?
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

kevino wrote:I only watched the game on a poor stream (which reminded me why I go to most away games) and hardly remember Nordveit touching the ball. Was it just me...or did he have a decent game?
I thought he was adequate today. I do believe that having Adrian in goal gives the defence more confidence especially after watching that pish poor goalkeeping performance from Randolph at Sunderland the other week. One commentator thought West Ham looked disjointed up there, as poor a game as it was today I thought the team seemed more cohesive.
Whatever the question is, Calleri is not the answer (or Snodgrass).
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

I thought Masuaku was tremendous in the first half.
Calleri is utter dog ****.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Bilic on the WHUFC website:-

It was again a good defensive performance, and we were good on the ball, but we just couldn’t convert the chances we created. We created enough chances to score a couple of goals.

“Our chances came to our strikers but they didn’t score. We created more than enough, I think more than them. I think we had four good chances and basically you have to score.

[With the Calleri chance], I don’t think he went for the spectacular. It sounds strange, but for him it was actually easier for him to score like that.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

It probably was easier for him to score like that, because his left foot is only for standing.
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

We are in desperate need of a striker. Ayew is ok, but there is not a finisher to be seen around West Ham. I know he is doing it in the Championship, but Chris Wood has 25 in 42 games this year. I would like to go for a out and out striker, but also sign someone who is consistent and I think Wood would be a smart choice.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I said to my travelling companions on the way back from Stoke, I bet we have a few on KUMB who will claim Calleri played well.

Just how ineffective does a player have to be?

The rest of the starting 11 played well. I am OK with a point. With no actual striker on the pitch it was always going to be difficult to score.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

thejackhammer wrote:It probably was easier for him to score like that, because his left foot is only for standing.
That's one of his major impediments and was clear to see today when he got put through on the left with just the keeper to beat if he'd hit it first time on his left foot but instead he had to bring the ball inside onto his right and let the defenders close him down.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

HammerInMaryland wrote:We are in desperate need of a striker. Ayew is ok, but there is not a finisher to be seen around West Ham. I know he is doing it in the Championship, but Chris Wood has 25 in 42 games this year. I would like to go for a out and out striker, but also sign someone who is consistent and I think Wood would be a smart choice.
We ought to put in a decent bid (around 30m) for Giroud, he's a definite upgrade on Carrol and is rarely a starter at Arsenal.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

I like Giroud but 30mil f*** me no way. I was there today and we have zero threat up front, Calleri is ****, Slav must not see anything in Fletcher because the game (and fans) were calling out for it. I'd rather try and tempt Vardy again than Giroud though, we seriously need some threat and pace in behind. Didn't realise how slow Ayes was aswell until I seen him in person.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Iheanacho is the answer.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Bilic on the WHUFC website:-

[

[With the Calleri chance], I don’t think he went for the spectacular. It sounds strange, but for him it was actually easier for him to score like that.

Listen to yourself, Bil. If he regards that as an easier chance, then that's damning criticism of his weaker left foot if he can't finish bang in front of goal.

Although my suspicion is Bilic is protecting the player with that answer, because he knows he gave him the chance to prove himself but yet again he's let him down and would be devastated to know he just publicly criticised the lad whilst most people should be critical of such a poor decision. He was either showboating or lacks serious technique on his left, one of the two and either answer is simply not good enough in this League if he doesn't have other exceptional ability to compensate. Looking back on his Boro goal, even that was a scrappy deflection and not a convincing finish.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I just watched the game as I was out all day. Not sure what people were expecting, it's been a very nervy time but I thought we handled the game well and if we're still in relegation trouble then Stoke must be also, along with a few other teams.

I know it's been frustrating, but after the top 7, it's all much of a muchness. I wouldn't swap any of our players for Stoke's. We complain about Noble and Calleri etc, but Stoke have Cameron, Whelan and a fat Berahino.

Yes we need some fresh faces in the summer, but we won't be cracking the top 7 without new investment, same goes for 13 other teams.

Slav made the substitutes that got us the point and another clean sheet.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Colours never run wrote:

How did you feel on your journey home from Stoke last May when we left with nothing after bringing on Moses, Emenike and Valencia?

A point is better than **** all and I for one see his logic in doing what he done.
In that game we had chance after chance and played very well. We were extremely unlucky to lose that day. Sometimes you don't get what you deserve.

This time we could have won, but Slav decided to hand the initiative to Stoke. We went from the only team creating chances, to a team hanging on and creating nothing, simply because of the subs Slav made.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

bowltorious wrote:I Didn't realise how slow Ayes was aswell until I seen him in person.

Can't agree with that. Whenever I've seen him play for us or Swansea, he's always left me with the impression of being quick. When he was unlucky with his overhead kick attempt, there's a picture that reveals he was heavily taped up on the back of one of his thighs which may explain why he weren't firing on all cylinders speed wise today. And another reason as to why Bilic took him off so to prevent him being injured a la Antonio recently..