Stoke City 0-0 West Ham Utd (29/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Borthos

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd match thread

Post by Borthos »

A fairly bog-standard 0-0 between two teams with not a lot to play for. Someone said earlier in the week that if this was in Italy, we'd have "arranged" a nice 0-0, and we might as well have done. A couple of flashes in front of goal for both teams but nothing to warrant watching MOTD for.

Fletcher should be getting more game time, as he's contracted permanently to the club, but I wonder whether there's an appearance clause or similar... Calleri is terrible in front of goal, but his hold up play is alright. I might get burned at the stake for this, but he reminds me of a raw Carlton that took a while to become the man we love (apart from his debut goal against Charlton).

At the moment, the team and the personnel available appear to able to be set up and play for a solid defensive display, with maybe one or two decent chances, OR an attacking unit that'll get and decent amount of chances and score a couple but ultimately get spanked. Unfortunately, once everyone is fit, I don't see how they mesh, and I'm not sure anyone in the coaching staff does either. Something needs an overhaul, not sure what.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Maefteda wrote:I know no one will agree, but I think Calleri was one of our best players out there. Keeps running, holds the ball up well and creates a lot for his teammates with his runs. Obviously with his track record we bemoan the missed chances, but today it was just unlucky that he didn't score.

That said, I look forward to see Defoe up front next season. Fletcher will be good in time, but hasn't showed all that much this year either.

That same Defoe who hasn't scored since Boxing Day, but then again, he's playing in a team that doesn't create man chances either
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

At one point Lanzini had to ball just inside Stoke's half, and had no one in front of him.

That was embarrassing.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Slav's demeanor on the touchline is always stressed & nervous, he seems to have lost his confidence. Sad but I still can't see a team playing together on the same page, had all season & still no cohesion. Can't believe he thinks Calleri is more effective than Fletcher :thdn:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

In a game we controlled and should have won i cannot find any positives because once again i am left scratching my head at the managers decisions...

We were in complete control, looked like scoring and then he takes our forwards off for midfielders. It was far too negative and a very bad decision. Three games in a row he has killed the game dead with substitutions but he took the piss today taking both forwards off, I really am lost for words. We had no threat after the substitutions, it was as if he just wanted the point when we should have been going all out for the 3 points we deserved...
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

The subs were head scratchers, Ayew looked pretty good and was hooked and Bilic left Calleri on, Noble for Ayew (defensive negative call), Calleri then gets hooked for Snodgrass to come on and basically do nothing, better to keep Calleri on and do slightly more than nothing.

Slav you are losing the plot
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

The Gibbins wrote:In a game we controlled and should have won i cannot find any positives because once again i am left scratching my head at the managers decisions...

We were in complete control, looked like scoring and then he takes our forwards off for midfielders. It was far too negative and a very bad decision. Three games in a row he has killed the game dead with substitutions but he took the piss today taking both forwards off, I really am lost for words. We had no threat after the substitutions, it was as if he just wanted the point when we should have been going all out for the 3 points we deserved...
This.

I have backed and loved Bilic throughout his stay, but today and the Sunderland match have really made me lose a lot of faith. He has behaved like a coward, even in situations when we were in the ascendency.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Maefteda wrote:I know no one will agree, but I think Calleri was one of our best players out there.
The only reason he persists with Calleri is that Sullivan doesn't want to pay out any more win bonuses for the rest of the season.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Decent point and another clean sheet. Absolutely bemused as to why he took Masuaku off for Cresswell, unless Arthur has an injury. Cresswell is just a bit of a bottle job, constantly stood off Stoke hoping to block the cross instead of closing them down
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

i dont care if Bilic goes now, those subs said it all to me.
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

Decent defensively. Thought Reid was class again. Strange decision to sub Ayew who looked to be our only real threat in my view. Caleri was ok second half but I just don't ever see him scoring
traxop

Post by traxop »

It's not like we didn't have our chances, and it wasn't really a case of poor finishing either. Sometimes it just comes down to a keeper having a blinder. Butland made some great saves.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Maefteda wrote:I know no one will agree, but I think Calleri was one of our best players out there. Keeps running, holds the ball up well and creates a lot for his teammates with his runs. Obviously with his track record we bemoan the missed chances, but today it was just unlucky that he didn't score.

That said, I look forward to see Defoe up front next season. Fletcher will be good in time, but hasn't showed all that much this year either.
I agree, Calleri was looking good with everything except his final touch, don't know why he tried that rabona though, must really not like his left foot.

Kouyate had a great game nicking the ball off Stoke and just bringing the ball up the field so quickly.

I didn't hear at the start of the second half, but is Masuaku injured? I didn't see much of Cresswell during the second half except for that terrible cross.

I thought the subs were strange, Noble really added nothing in place of Ayew, and we looked a lot better with Calleri up front so I don't know why Snodgrass came on.

Fletcher must really not be ready, I don't think he can do hold up play as well as Calleri, but I think playing alongside him may have been fine, maybe bring him on for Ayew if necessary with Calleri getting into Ayew's postion and Fletcher being the focal point. I think they played well together upfront for the PL2 team.

Overall, I certainly think the team could have done better, but I'm glad it was a draw and not a loss.

Also, Adrian had some good saves, and Butland really saved Stoke from us.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

ohsnap wrote:i dont care if Bilic goes now, those subs said it all to me.
I though they were good subs and if Bilic goes I shall be gutted.

Callieri was good with everything but his feet!

Cheik MotM for me.
Last edited by Upton Carp on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

A points a point ... at this stage I'm happy with that...

Didn't know what to make of the subs ... but then there could be many reasons to explain why they were made and Slav historically wouldn't normally have made those choices... I don't think?

What would you more knowledgeable football guys think of repositioning Calleri into midfield? As a plan b or sub etc

I only ask as he seems more than able to do a job in terms of making space, reading the game in the sense of what others are doing etc and with pace aside from being a natural at scoring goals., if he hadn't been on and was brought on like Nobes was I think he would of done a better job or certainly offered more in the last twenty.,
Last edited by Fishdo on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I'm not sure this makes us safe at all. Swansea will lose tomorrow and win their last 3 I reckon. 40 points. We need another point imo
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

those concerned about bilic being a pragmatist who goes safety first have very short memories.

i didn't like the decisions he made today (and thought calleri had a decent game for the most part), but it's like giving both barrels to fat sam for throwing an extra striker on and losing the game because we needed a win to stay up.

start the same XI as today against the Spurs (unless injury prevents it).
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Swansea will not win 3 our of their last 4. I see them getting a maximum of 6 points. Even if Swansea did do the impossible, I see us getting at least a point at Turfmoor so we are fine.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Lots of reports saying Arthur had been carrying a knock and wouldn't have made it through the second half.

Resting players when the game is dead makes sense.

Fletcher has an appearance clause which will cost the club £1 million. wouldn't surprise me if the instruction is don't play him
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

West Ham concedes 3 or 4 a game.... wish Bilic would sort out the defence

West Ham keep two clean sheet.... Bilic is too defensive

:lol:

Bottom line is if we had a proper striker; we would have had 6 points out of the last two games not just 2