West Ham Utd 1-0 Tottenham (05/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Tottenham: match thread

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Colours never run wrote:Not for me. It would still involve plenty of midfield, but it would also give us another dimension going over the top either holding it up or running in to the channels.
we'd have one less bloke in midfield and will have our pockets picked all day.

if you're going two up top in the modern game you're knocking it long and they'll keep coming back at us as our passing completely breaks down over the course of the 90. we've seen it time and again.

they don't like playing on big pitches. they were pony at wembley and their inability to go to the big away grounds and get results will cost them the title, we just look like we're starting to get used to it and we can be the ones using the extra space to knock it about the middle of the park for once.

same team as everton for me.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: WHU vs Spurs match thread

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

comebackjoecole wrote:Sometimes I really do think I hate Sp*rs more than I love West Ham, it's quite an unhealthy situation

0-4
or maybe
0-5
Its not as unhealthy as you think.

Id have to emigrate if these slags ever won the league. Ive been cheering Chelsea goals like our own in the last few weeks and I feel dirty for doing so......but thats just how much I hate Spurs. It just adds to my disillusionment of football in this country. :thdn:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Calleri can get ****ing knotted starting.

352, it's serving us well, continue with it just improve the side with better starters in a couple of places ie a Sakho and or Carroll (I'm assuming one or both will be fit - see once the time comes who is available) for Calleri and possibly Ayew.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Agree with those thinking it's a 3-5-2 for us again - depending if we actually have two fit strikers to start and finish the game. I'd be happy to start with Ayew and Sakho . . . if Sakho can last 90 minutes.

If - and it's a big if - our mob play their absolute best and the Spurs players have a mare maybe we can nick a point from this.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The dream - ****ing up Spurs title hopes.

The reality - #PrayForWestHam
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it's not a 352 for a start, it's a 343, with the front three all being mobile and interchangeable. you lose all that with carroll and there's a reason we've looked pony every time we've tried it with him.

christ knows what's going on with sulkho.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

somerset-hammer wrote:The dream - ****ing up Spurs title hopes.

The reality - #PrayForWestHam
The saving grace is the fact that Chelsea don't need our help.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Who was the third player playing up front alongside Ayew and Calleri then in the last 2 games?

Lanzini has been dropping deep to receive the ball working tirelessly carrying the ball forward and helping out to retrieve it, so it can't be him which makes me believe it's a 352.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

What's the problem? We saw off Chelsea under the lights and these mugs can't even match the rent boys.

Get in their faces, give them a proper East End welcome and they will wimp off like they always do.

Collins to score. Nailed on. And he'll probably break some poor sod's leg while he's doing it.
Colours never run

Got to admit, I'm definitely not so confident. The most impressive difference about Spurs this season compared to last, is their mental strength in the league thus far. Last year clearly hurt them badly like the big fall out of "the battle of the bridge" and won't let anything faze them this time around. The only way we pick up a result, is to play out of our skins like we did at the Boleyn. Especially at the Olympic Stadium I can't be so confident. But should we manage to play brilliantly and beat them again, it would be just the tonic to help us settle in some more to our new surroundings and take to it more. That's just as important as stopping Spurs from winning. Such a tall order though but here's hoping. :crest:
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

1-0 West Ham (Calleri 43)

A header from Jonathan Calleri late in the first half was enough to guarantee safety for the Hammers and all but end Spurs title hopes. After saving well from Alli, Kane and Eriksen, it was Adrian who started the move which saw West Ham quickly break and Calleri get on the end of a tantalising rabona cross from Lanzini to grab the only of the game. An effort from Ayew cannoned off of the bar early in the second half before Spurs camped in the Hammers half for the final 20 minutes but both Adrian and his backline held firm.

Man of the match - Adrian ~ Two world class saves

I love dreams :lol:
Colours never run

So do I, until they fade and die. 8-)
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Don't risk any player who is 80% or who has a knock ... let's face it our best eleven versus their best eleven is no contest at the moment ... give fit squad players a run and pray ......
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Play a 4-2-1-3. Get at them. Get in their faces. Have a go. Not just fanny about defending and get beat by a spurs team playing at 50%

Adrian
Byram
Fonte
Reid
Masuaka
Nordveit
Noble
Lanzini
Feghouli
Ayew
Sakho (or Calleri)

Make sure Nordveit doesn't move ftom his position, dropping in to CB when required. Byram and Masuaka get forward. Match them like for like

What will happen is we will play five at the back and although we won't get thrashed it will be a run of the mill, not breaking sweat 2-0 to them, with us having some corners and three shots
Colours never run

3 players high up the pitch? They'd rip us to shreds with that much space to exploit in the middle of the park.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

M*A*R*C wrote:What's the problem? We saw off Chelsea under the lights and these mugs can't even match the rent boys.

Get in their faces, give them a proper East End welcome and they will wimp off like they always do.

Collins to score. Nailed on. And he'll probably break some poor sod's leg while he's doing it.
We lost to Chelsea "under the lights".

We turned over their reserves though in the League Cup.

I'm sure Tottenham will be able to handle whatever atmosphere the bowl conjures up.

Class outfit...
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Carroll will be on the bench , Bilic as much as said so today, he referred to Crouch and his impact for 20 mins , I just hope we're still in the game with 20 left .
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Looking forward to this one, booked the night off work for what will be my last visit of the season.

Gotta feeling we might just win this one and who better to beat to make us safe than the filth?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:3 players high up the pitch? They'd rip us to shreds with that much space to exploit in the middle of the park.
Maybe, but I woukd rather we gave it a good go and went for it rather than just sit back and pack the defence and let them coast to a victory without breaking sweat

Play up the pitch and put their full backs on the back foot

I fundamentally don't agree with playing a line up at home with only three attacking players
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This lot are the fittest and best coached team in the entire league and I don't think they have one weak link